Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Week 181: Hackathorn 3-Second Head Shot Standards

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    Equipment used: Gen3 G34, concealed in a Keeper under a polo shirt
    Start position: Holstered and concealed
    Any variation you included: 25 yards!

Attempt 1
    Total number of points out of the possible nine: Not sure, but it sucked - FAIL
    Anything you noticed: Shot artificially - stingy and overly careful in this case. Ended up with a couple overtime shots and bad hits to boot. Artificially is a dumb way to shoot, whether trying hard to go fast, grasping tightly at accuracy, or 'slowing down to get your hits.' It's just a bad intention.

Attempt 2
    Total number of points out of the possible nine: 8/9 (9 hits, but 1 was .08 overtime) - PASS!!!
    Anything you noticed: Oh yeah! Shot the way I should have in the first place. I just did it and didn't try to force anything - including toward the careful end of the spectrum. I just moved the gun and worked the trigger so it fired as it was stopping on the target spot (not even really stopped, it felt more like firing while stopping.) Made my day to put it together on this drill, even if it was the second attempt. I found this to be a very demanding task to perform under three seconds, and three times in a row or close to it.

Damn dude!

Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    Damn dude!
    Thanks, I was pretty stoked with that one.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Site Supporter
    Well, this week, I got a new holster for my 3913, a Blade Tech Nano. I decided to run this DotW again with that gun.

First run, I did from the holster under a shirt. It was a dismal series of failures:
    string 1 was 1.96, 3.24, 4.65.
    String 2 was 2.06, 3.13, 3.79.
    String 3 was 2.04, 2.96, 3.65.
    All shots were clean hits, and the right side target had all 3 hits in 1 inch. But, with 5/9 shots after par, that left me a score of 4/9. Dismal failure.

Decided to give myself a brake on the second run, and just did it from compressed ready.
    String 1 was 1.36, 2.44, 3.40.
    String 2 was 1.06, 1.81, 2.69.
    String 3 was 1.52, 2.69, 3.47.
    The left hand target had only two holes. I suspect that it was the third shot on the second string, but I am not sure. That would be 6/9.

In short, I actually missed once, but at least I was slow.

Ran this on Sept 17 from AIWB. Unable at the public range to set up 3 targets that wide, so I compromised using smaller 2" dots at 3 yards.

First attempt:
    String 1: 1.81 (H), 0.66 (H), 0.61 (M) = 3.08 sec
    String 2: 1.81 (H), 0.62 (H), 0.65 (H) = 3.08 sec
    String 3: 1.73 (M), 0.43 (M), 0.59 (M) = 2.75 sec

Observations - moving in one direction only felt pretty natural. String 3 going Mid, left, right was really different, led to shooting too fast and visually not seeing things well and a breakdown in clean trigger presses.

Tried it again, trying to push speed on the first two strings but pull back on string 3...

String 1: 1.86 (H), 0.50 (H), 0.51 (H) = 2.87 sec
    String 2: 1.71 (M), 0.45 (H), 0.63 (M) = 2.79 sec
    String 3: 1.87 (M), 0.56 (H), 0.61 (M) = 3.04 sec

Tons of misses this time. I think the hardest transition was shot 3 on string 3 due to the change up in direction and size of transition. Will occasionally mix that type of shooting pattern in dry fire, especially since I do a lot of work with 3 target arrays.

Name:  DOTW 181.JPG
Views: 78
Size:  77.9 KB

User Tag List