Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Week 181: Hackathorn 3-Second Head Shot Standards

Site Supporter
    Ran this 4 times with my SP2022, from an open top leather holster, no concealment. 125gr moly coated lead over 3.5gr Bullseye. My timer app doesn't have a delay, and I was alone, so after the first dismal run, I added a half second to the par time to allow for straightening up. 1 out of the first three runs was on time and had no misses. 4th run, dropped the par time to 3.3 seconds. All strings were within par time. 2 shots were just low of the head. 7/9, pass.

642, Galco horsehide pocket, hand on gun butt to start. 125gr +P Winchester. Only 1 run- there's a football game image for! 2 clear misses, 2 low hits, 1 late shot.

P32- 2 runs. More fun to shoot this than the 642 with +P. Both runs were nearly identical. Ran from ready, since I haven't bought or made anything decent for it. Misses and low and right hits were the norm, but each run had at least 2/3 hits. 2 were late, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Ran this 4 times with my SP2022, from an open top leather holster, no concealment. 125gr moly coated lead over 3.5gr Bullseye. My timer app doesn't have a delay, and I was alone, so after the first dismal run, I added a half second to the par time to allow for straightening up. 1 out of the first three runs was on time and had no misses. 4th run, dropped the par time to 3.3 seconds. All strings were within par time. 2 shots were just low of the head. 7/9, pass.

642, Galco horsehide pocket, hand on gun butt to start. 125gr +P Winchester. Only 1 run- there's a football game image for! 2 clear misses, 2 low hits, 1 late shot.

P32- 2 runs. More fun to shoot this than the 642 with +P. Both runs were nearly identical. Ran from ready, since I haven't bought or made anything decent for it. Misses and low and right hits were the norm, but each run had at least 2/3 hits. 2 were late, though.

Try this app man, I used it for a long time before I bought a real timer.

i used to wannabe

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    Try this app man, I used it for a long time before I bought a real timer.

Thanks, man. Is that on the Apple App Store?

Never mind, I found it. Thanks!
    Last edited by Duelist; 09-10-2016 at 10:34 PM.

Shot from OWB not concealed

G19 with KKM COMP, 9 hits, comfortably within par.

G43 I got 8 hits with 1 hit on the last string at 3.02 sec.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Decided to shoot this twice, but modified. I knew the 3 second par was to slow and after hearing of one PF member modifying it to suit him, I decided to as well.

First run

2 on each head. (18 rounds total)

18/18 hits

Passed with time and hits. Had one really close him on the middle head, but it broke the line!

Second run

1 round on each, TWICE.

15/18 hits (2 misses of which 1 was over time lol double whammy!)

Im sort about the vertical filming by myself and this was easiest.

Run 2 should have been a passing run, just got sloppy. Only shot these once but am 110% certain run 2 could be done clean.
    i used to wannabe

Week 181: Hackathorn 3-Second Head Shot Standards

Glock 43, Ameriglo Operator sights, TTI +1 mag, Raven Morrigan holster AIWB under a synthetic polo shirt.

String 1: 1.49,2.26,2.82 BBB
    String 2: 1.44,2.00,2.68 AAA
    String 3: 1.40,1.90,2.52 BAA
    Pass

I was pretty happy with these results, especially given that I've been neglecting practice with this gun. First shots were frustratingly slow, but that's what it took to guarantee an upper A/B hit.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 09-12-2016 at 03:46 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I love all the action in this thread and the variations everyone is trying!
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Equipment used: Pistol-Forum.com G43

Start position: Ready
    Any variation you included: N/A (basic 5 yard version from the ready)
    Total number of points out of the possible nine: 9/9 PASS

Any variation you included: 10 yards
    Total number of points out of the possible nine: 8/9 PASS

Any variation you included: 15 yards
    Total number of points out of the possible nine: 8/9 PASS

Any variation you included: 20 yards
    Total number of points out of the possible nine: 3/9 BIG FAIL

Anything you noticed: Sure ran out of time for dat trigger at 20 yards...

Lord of the Food Court

Equipment used: Gen3 G34, concealed in a Keeper under a polo shirt
    Start position: Holstered and concealed
    Any variation you included: 25 yards!

Attempt 1
    Total number of points out of the possible nine: Not sure, but it sucked - FAIL
    Anything you noticed: Shot artificially - stingy and overly careful in this case. Ended up with a couple overtime shots and bad hits to boot. Artificially is a dumb way to shoot, whether trying hard to go fast, grasping tightly at accuracy, or 'slowing down to get your hits.' It's just a bad intention.

Attempt 2
    Total number of points out of the possible nine: 8/9 (9 hits, but 1 was .08 overtime) - PASS!!!
    Anything you noticed: Oh yeah! Shot the way I should have in the first place. I just did it and didn't try to force anything - including toward the careful end of the spectrum. I just moved the gun and worked the trigger so it fired as it was stopping on the target spot (not even really stopped, it felt more like firing while stopping.) Made my day to put it together on this drill, even if it was the second attempt. I found this to be a very demanding task to perform under three seconds, and three times in a row or close to it.

Lord of the Food Court

Glock 17 rtf2 in a JMCK wing claw, under a polo
    Holstered and concealed

5yds - 9/9 pass
    string 1 - 3/3 pass 2.69 - 1.59, .58, .52
    string 2 - 3/3 pass 2.86 - 1.71, .56, .59
    string 3 - 3/3 pass 2.94 - 1.6, .6, .74

7yds - 7/9 pass(while a pass by the standard rule I like to clean it to pass to my standard)
    string 1 - 3/3 pass 2.85 - 1.69, .64, .52
    string 2 - 3/3 pass 2.96 - 1.66, .65, .65
    string 3 - 1/3 fail 3.18 - 1.74, .63, .81 ( I transitioned too far and pulled the shot off target on the first transition after the middle target then had my last shot over time resulting in 1/3)

I was really intrigued by Luke doing the 2 shots per so I tried that just to see what I could do. I knew I couldn't beat 3 seconds but went for it anyway.

5yds, 2 shots per concealed under a polo as per the other runs
    string 1 - 3.54 6/6 1.7, .3, .48, .22, .54, .30
    string 2 - 3.3 6/6 1.57, .24, .52, .22, .55, .20
    string 3 - 3.4 4/6 1.55, .26, .51, .22, .62, .24 (missed 1 on middle target and 1 on the first transition)

I had just come off a month or so hiatus from any type of shooting, save dry practice. I had been feeling burnt out and just haven't felt any motivation to get to the range so I took some time away to refuel my want. Today was great and I was happy out there again. It was my first session with the JMCK wing claw, and it went well. I'm really digging this holster, as it conceals as good as any of the other appendix offerings I own - without the bulk that some have at the belt line. I really like the idea and will be buying a Dark Star iwb w/ claw, when funds allow, to compare it too. Overall I had a blast and didn't shoot as poorly as I had expected so i left with a smile!

User Tag List