Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Week 181: Hackathorn 3-Second Head Shot Standards

Week 181: Hackathorn 3-Second Head Shot Standards

Week 181: Hackathorn 3-Second Head Shot Standards

Results may be posted until October 9th, 2016.

Designed by: Ken Hackathorn
    Range: 5 yards
    Target: Three USPSA Metric or IDPA targets
    Start Position: Ready or holstered, see below
    Rounds Fired: 9

Targets are placed at least two feet apart shoulder to shoulder at a range of five yards. Par time is set to three seconds for each string. There are three strings of fire.

1. Fire exactly one shot at the head of each target, going from left to right.
    2. Fire exactly one shot at the head of each target, going from right to left.
    3. Fire exactly one shot at the head of each target, starting with the middle target, then the left and right targets in any order.

A round anywhere in the whole head (A/B zones) counts as a hit. Shots fired after the three-second par time count as misses. In total, you'll fire exactly nine rounds. Seven points or better, out of the nine possible, is a passing score.

Start position is shooter's choice of ready, holstered, or holstered and concealed. If you want to make it harder than that, try is SHO or WHO, lower the par time, or increase the distance. It's a short and quick drill - feel free to shoot it multiple times and/or increase the difficulty as you progress!

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:

Equipment used (pistol, holster, optional concealment garment if one was used)
    Start position (ready, holstered, concealed)
    Any variation you included (increased distance, SHO, par time, etc.)
    Total number of points out of the possible nine
    Anything you noticed

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Gonna race the G43 vs the G19 with KKM compensator.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Gonna race the G43 vs the G19 with KKM compensator.
    That's a great idea! I have been shooting my G43 a bit more lately and I'll probably try it on this drill. Fun! I like fun.
    Lord of the Food Court

Site Supporter
    Excellent idea to run the tiny gun against bigger ones! I'll try my 642 or P32 against a 3913 against the SP2022. Should be fun, and interesting.

I've shot this a few times with some friends of varying skill level. We start off from the ready. If they get at least 7/9 then it's from the holster. Then concealed. Then SHO from the ready, etc. You can't move to the next "level" until you get at least 7/9. So each guy gets challenged. I'm stuck at SHO concealed.

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    I've shot this a few times with some friends of varying skill level. We start off from the ready. If they get at least 7/9 then it's from the holster. Then concealed. Then SHO from the ready, etc. You can't move to the next "level" until you get at least 7/9. So each guy gets challenged. I'm stuck at SHO concealed.
    What's going to be after SHO concealed?
    Lord of the Food Court

Tactical ninja stars
    i used to wannabe

I haven't done it in awhile, I think my plan was 1) ready 2) holster 3) concealed 4) SHO ready 5) SHO holster 6) SHO concealed 7) WHO ready, etc. I was gonna just do a hand transfer for the WHO stages with a draw. If anyone can do that then the next level would be a true WHO draw. Maybe you can give that a shot, I'd like to see a vid of it!

I like the way Pannone does it where he grabs the butt of the gun WHO (so now the gun is upside down in your grip), then places the gun, slide down, in whatever that crease is called where your thigh meets the pelvis to change grip.

Equipment used (pistol, holster, optional concealment garment if one was used) G19 w/RMR, Fricke AA, t shirt concealment
    Start position (ready, holstered, concealed) 1st try; Low Ready 2nd try; Holster
    Any variation you included (increased distance, SHO, par time, etc.)
    Total number of points out of the possible nine 1st try; 9 for 9 all A's (USPSA), 2nd try 8 for 9
    Anything you noticed Easy from low ready, pushing my current limits on from the holster. The third string was where I couldn't make par.

Glock 26 - JM Custom IWB3 - T-shirt

Passed from low ready and from the holster 9/9, all strings under 3 seconds.

I probably shoot too slowly because I can't allow myself any misses and still call it a pass.

User Tag List