Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Scaled Down Targets To Replicate Distance For Dry Fire Training

And don't forget cheap and easy no shoots! I cut them out of a regular sheet of paper. Saves from using another target and I get to pick how it is.
    i used to wannabe

I think scaled targets are a great idea for dry practice in a confined environment. You should definitely use them to keep the accuracy bar high in dry practice, but they don't completely replicate a full size target at a real distance - eyes will focus differently on a real target at 25 yards vs. a scaled smaller target at 3 yards. They are still absolutely worthwhile.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Very much this^^^ if I had the room all my targets would be full size. The scaled are crazy different.
    i used to wannabe

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    I think scaled targets are a great idea for dry practice in a confined environment. You should definitely use them to keep the accuracy bar high in dry practice, but they don't completely replicate a full size target at a real distance - eyes will focus differently on a real target at 25 yards vs. a scaled smaller target at 3 yards. They are still absolutely worthwhile.
    Also a pistol zeroed on a half scale target at 12.5 yards is not zeroed at 25 yards. Yeah it may work but don't assume so. Always zero at the actual distance.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    Also a pistol zeroed on a half scale target at 12.5 yards is not zeroed at 25 yards. Yeah it may work but don't assume so. Always zero at the actual distance.
    Yes definitely. Especially when we are talking scaled 100 + yard targets and not just 25 yard ones...
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    I have some small targets outdoors in a safe direction that are full size (lids) that work quite well through and open window for this reason. My vision fades at distance and indoor distances with reduced targets trick me as I can see better.

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using an owl
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

It's not quite the same thing but related. My favorite warm up for shooting 25 yard B-8 Bulls is a B-8 at 50 yards.

After a couple strings at 50 yards 25 yards feels like I'm cheating.

Site Supporter
    Let's make sure we're using the correct terminology; "Reduced Size Target Systems"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGJT38HJaHg

Those are probably the only gun videos on YouTube I enjoy. Id love to be friends with those guys.
    i used to wannabe

Have one of these inside my office door. Just lock door and practice drawing and trigger control several times a week. Got another on door of hall closet at house.

http://modernserviceweapons.com/?attachment_id=579
    Last edited by coldcase1984; 09-16-2016 at 05:32 PM.
    "Backstabbers and window-lickers rise to the top of human organizations like oxygen-rich turds in a champagne fountain. I suspect it's been that way since at least the Bronze Age." _ Me. 2016

User Tag List