Thread: Velocity, and secondary projectiles...

Velocity, and secondary projectiles...

Yesterday, I tested 55gr GMX 5.56, and Gold Dot 75gr .223. I tested them by shooting them each into 3" thick slabs of pork, and using a pie-pan (it was heavier gauge than the traditional foil-like pans, but not as heavy as a "keep it a long time" pie pan.) as a witness plate, 8" or so behind the pork. Observations:

Both rounds produced an identical hole in the witness plate, a ragged quarter-sized hole.
    Both rounds appeared to expand almost immediately, although the GMX formed a "funnel" of destruction, and the Gold Dot nearly took the back half of the pork slab apart. It was a much wider-angle funnel, notably so.

Here is what I found interesting. The pork-meat was propelled with such force that some of it even perforated the pan! The GMX round was moving roughly 600fps faster than the Gold Dot, and it had SIGNIFICANTLY more pork-meat-divots around the witness hole, with several even perforating. It is my opinion that pork-bits perfect, and not fragments from the bullet, because I could readily observe a lot of meat-splatter around the witness-plate holes, and some ALMOST made it through, so I presume some actually did.

Now...I noted SIGNIFICANT increase with the GMX over the Gold Dot, in the way of secondary projectile impacts, and that is just pork-meat. This leads me to question...what if it were rib-bones, or sternum material, or any other bone? Is secondary-projectile wounding a significant factor, and worth using a higher velocity round to achieve, even if the round performs a little less spectacularly than another, slower round, in "gel in a lab"? Or is it just a "Well, yeah, that can happen too, I guess" type "shrug" of a notation?

I THINK I understand what you're asking, and if I do, I've asked essentially the same question here before. Whether bone fragments are a significant additional wounding factor. The answer I got was that they can be, but that it is not reliable enough a factor to base ammo selection on.

My observation is it's a shame you didn't fry up the pork and eat it instead. I'm hungry.

And yes, I guess theoretically fragments could be additionally damaging but that's a hell of a "random draw" bonus to be relying on.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

User Tag List