Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: J-frame pocket holster

J-frame pocket holster

What are you guys using for a pocket holster for your revolvers? I have been carrying my 642 in my own crappy milk jug holster for a while but I am carrying the j-frame more now and would like a proper pocket holster. I'd like kydex but could be talked into leather.

I was just made aware of the Aholster Backbone pocket holster. Looks neat.

What's your recommendation?

Safariland #25. Easily obtained, not very expensive, fast, and works with lots of different snubs.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Site Supporter
    For the soft holsters, the desantis nemesis has the best cut around the trigger guard. Unlike the other sack holsters you can't really pinch the holster onto the gun with your middle finger during the draw stroke with the nemesis.
    For leather I like the Kramer which has a easily repeatable release if you draw directly up and rake it against the front of your pocket.
    On kydex... I have tried the grandfather oak model and gotta say that shape around the bottom edge of the cylinder quickly became uncomfortable rubbing against my thigh. I can see that might be an issue with the aholster you linked. Also that open design will just allow more fuzz to get in.
    Adam

Site Supporter
    My favorite pocket holster is a DeSantis Superfly, which is similar to a Nemesis but has an anti-print panel, which significantly enhances concealment by making the bulge less gun-shaped.

Kydex is not a good choice for a pocket holster. A pocket holster is not anchored to a belt, and needs to release the gun easily.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

I just ordered one of these as recommended by LSP972. On the website it list two different weight leathers being used in the holster but again as I understood to be spec'd by LSP972 I asked for the whole holster to be made out of the lighter weight of leather.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....l=1#post402838
    Last edited by UNK; 09-08-2016 at 11:36 AM.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    I just ordered one of these as recommended by LSP972.
    I could be too picky... but the problem I found with that model is that section adjacent to the trigger guard would sometimes foul my initial grip.
    Adam

Site Supporter
    Mika's has a good reputation. I personally use a horsehide pocket holster for most of my pocket gun duties. Rough side out, and one or two shaped hooks to keep the holster in the pocket on the draw.

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    Yup.

Among the most comfortable and softest, plus makes less of a bulge than any of the leather examples.

I have examples for J-frames in leather and synthetics from Pocket Concealment, Alessi, Null, DeSantis and a few others, and the Mika is the one that has gotten the most use.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

User Tag List