Page 4 of 53 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta APX

Short version.

First video highlights:
    - Disassembles like a Glock, but if you don't want to pull the trigger a pin is included to deactivate the trigger.
    - Three dot sights with the front one being bigger than the rear ones so that they are the same size when the pistol is aimed.
    - Sights are dovetailed
    - Slide serrations are quite grippy.
    - Slide stop is ambidextrous and Glock OEM sized.
    - Different sized backstrap. Was delivered to them with a medium sized only; may be a French thing.
    - Trigger guard large enough for gloves. No serrations of the front of the trigger guard.
    - Trigger guard front is straight and could be used as support against a barricade or shield.
    - Frame is grippy, though no comparison made to others.

Second video highlights:
    - They use Gecco (sp?) 124gr bullets that are somehow magnetic due to the jacket's alloy.
    - Trigger pull is a bit above 6 pounds. They find it a bit heavy.
    - First shots to be a 15 meters so that the weapons accuracy doesn't get underestimated due to the heavy trigger (yeah, that didn't make sense to me either)
    - (before shooting), the shooter intends to do a sort of cadenced drill to see how precise one can get for sort of more precise area fire to get the bad guys heads down? I'm not sure I understood the point.
    - Shooter complaints that he is having a hard time keeping an easy rhythm due to the weight of the trigger and considers that one has to work with the trigger to get good with this gun (I did notice that he lets go of the trigger immediately after the shot, so that could explain his complaint).
    - More complaints about the trigger pull to explain the results on the target. If I understood them well, the pull is not a sudden break like a Glock but somehow longer. However, they do make the point that this is a service gun, not a match gun.
    - They state that they're not engineers but they saw different sets of springs on the inside that seem to enhance reliability (how they judge that, I don't know).
    - They talk a while about the difference between the APX trigger and the 1911 trigger; obviously prefers the straight back pull of the 1911.
    - Again shooter talks about the difficult trigger. He seems to be primarily a bullseye shooter so that could explain things as he says he tries very hard to not move the sights as he is pressing the trigger and the weight of the pull mixed with what he seems to say is a "longer wall" that gets heavier, to the best of my understanding, makes things difficult. He also mentions that he doesn't have that level of difficulty with a Glock trigger. He does, however, say that this type of problem will go away as one works often with the pistol.
    - The shooter talks about the fact that shooting at the right shoulder of the target was kinda like shooting at a round target and he felt that in terms of his sight picture, he could take it easier, but on the other shoulder of the target (which had the gun and was closer to the body), he was shooting kind of a rectangle which made it a bit more work especially since he was trying to make hits on a part of the body which wasn't a vital organ.
    - During bench shooting (which is not shown on video but is in their dead tree magazine), a lot more ammo, and of different kinds, were expended and the accuracy wasn't judged to be great but apparently not due to the trigger.

That's it. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    Short version.

First video highlights:
    - Disassembles like a Glock, but if you don't want to pull the trigger a pin is included to deactivate the trigger.
    - Three dot sights with the front one being bigger than the rear ones so that they are the same size when the pistol is aimed.
    - Sights are dovetailed
    - Different sized backstrap. Was delivered to them with a medium sized only; may be a French thing.
    - Trigger guard large enough for gloves. No serrations of the front of the trigger guard.
    - Trigger guard front is straight and could be used as support against a barricade or shield.

Second video highlights:
    - They use Gecco (sp?) 124gr bullets that are somehow magnetic due to the jacket's alloy.
    - First shots to be a 15 meters so that the weapons accuracy doesn't get underestimated due to the heavy trigger (yeah, that didn't make sense to me either)
    - (before shooting), the shooter intends to do a sort of cadenced drill to see how precise one can get for sort of more precise area fire to get the bad guys heads down? I'm not sure I understood the point.
    - Shooter complaints that he is having a hard time keeping an easy rhythm due to the weight of the trigger and considers that one has to work with the trigger to get good with this gun (I did notice that he lets go of the trigger immediately after the shot, so that could explain his complaint).
    - More complaints about the trigger pull to explain the results on the target. If I understood them well, the pull is not a sudden break like a Glock but somehow longer. However, they do make the point that this is a service gun, not a match gun.
    - They state that they're not engineers but they saw different sets of springs on the inside that seem to enhance reliability (how they judge that, I don't know).
    - They talk a while about the difference between the APX trigger and the 1911 trigger; obviously prefers the straight back pull of the 1911.
    - Again shooter talks about the difficult trigger. He seems to be primarily a bullseye shooter so that could explain things as he says he tries very hard to not move the sights as he is pressing the trigger and the weight of the pull mixed with what he seems to say is a "longer wall" that gets heavier, to the best of my understanding, makes things difficult. He also mentions that he doesn't have that level of difficulty with a Glock trigger. He does, however, say that this type of problem will go away as one works often with the pistol.
    - The shooter talks about the fact that shooting at the right shoulder of the target was kinda like shooting at a round target and he felt that in terms of his sight picture, he could take it easier, but on the other shoulder of the target (which had the gun and was closer to the body), he was shooting kind of a rectangle which made it a bit more work especially since he was trying to make hits on a part of the body which wasn't a vital organ.
    - During bench shooting (which is not shown on video but is in their dead tree magazine), a lot more ammo, and of different kinds, were expended and the accuracy wasn't judged to be great but apparently not due to the trigger.

Most excellent translation! I knew I should have take French in high school...

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    Short version.

First video highlights:
    - Sights are dovetailed

Second video highlights:

I was always told Frenchmen dropped guns... I learned something today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any update on release date

I shot a few APX's while out at Beretta Italy last week - one was a longer slide model with ambi-safeties and one was a compact frame model.

I liked the trigger - flat faced, good feel "crisp". Reset was also crisp if you need that sort of thing. Ran about 50 rounds through each variety.
    Sights were't bad, as mentioned elsewhere, they're dovetailed. Grip texture ok. Magwell was generous and the gun reloaded easily.

The slide "serrations" worked well - I liked it, actually... grippy, would work with gloves, etc.

I dunno... Seemed legit. Certainly well thought out.

Was told that sometime after 2017 is the US release.

Last edited by Sal Picante; 11-01-2016 at 11:56 AM.

Delta Busta Kappa fratboy Hot Sauce's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    I shot a few APX's while out at Beretta Italy last week - one was a longer slide model with ambi-safeties and one was a compact frame model.
    Color me intrigued. How did it compare size wise to a G19?
    Gaming will get you killed in the streets. Dueling will get you killed in the fields.
    -Alexander Hamilton

Hey Les, while you're at the pizza factory, bring me back a 92 Stock please or the parts to make one.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce View Post
    Color me intrigued. How did it compare size wise to a G19?
    It has been a long time since i've held a G19/23, so I'm not sure I'm your man for that, but I think the size was somewhat comparable.

For me, the compact frame was, well, short. A bit too short.

The grip angle seemed a bit more steep (Glock-like) too, btw...

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin View Post
    Hey Les, while you're at the pizza factory, bring me back a 92 Stock please or the parts to make one.
    I wish...

How about a gold Rafica?

Sorry misread the question
    Last edited by BigT; 11-02-2016 at 07:11 AM.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

User Tag List