Page 19 of 53 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta APX

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    Thanks for the feed back on this.

I never really paid much attention to this subject, but the "Glock fails the 10-8 (1911) extractor test" thread piqued my interest in the subject. I've rewatched a variety of videos of various guns being fired and noticed the randomness of some Glock's and the consistency of other guns like the Beretta 92. I've begun to think a long extractor is better than a short one such as used on Glock (and Kimber's failed 1911 external extractor attempt), and noticed the APX has a shorter extractor than the 92 Series and the PX4.

I look forward to your future findings.
    My 92's have all been outstanding in this regard, and my two PX4 compacts have been as well. Obviously I'm happy to see the APX continue the trend. I hate to praise or condemn an entire product line based on three guns, but Beretta does seem to know how to make a service pistol get the empties out properly.

500 more through my APX today, bringing total to 1300. Had my first signs of something not being exactly right with Sellier and Bellot 115 gr ball ammo. Over 200 rounds of that, roughly 10 casing ejected in something other than off to the right. Most of them went sort of up and straight back. No stoppages, but not something I'd seen before with this gun. When I went to Remington and Federal ammo all cases went out to the right. So maybe S&B is the issue rather than the APX.

Either way, it's got 700 rounds to go on the 2K challenge and hasn't hiccuped yet. I've read some reports of APXs not stripping the top round it the slide was slingshot, so I made it a point today to check that and auto forwarding. Had no issues there either.

Quote Originally Posted by octagon View Post
    However after trying a CZ P10C and a Bersa BP9CC in an attempt to improve my stubby finger trigger reach and then trying out a APX in a local gun store and seeing that it has incredibly short trigger reach i decided to pick one up.
    This has my interest, virtually every pistol I pick up (barring single stack toy guns) has too long of a trigger reach (either DA or SFA) for me to be satisfied with my trigger finger placement without having to rotate my hand around to some degree to make up for it. Are you able to measure the distance from the backstrap to the trigger by chance? If it's sub 2 3/4" that would be excellent in my book...

Quote Originally Posted by White Crane View Post
    This has my interest, virtually every pistol I pick up (barring single stack toy guns) has too long of a trigger reach (either DA or SFA) for me to be satisfied with my trigger finger placement without having to rotate my hand around to some degree to make up for it. Are you able to measure the distance from the backstrap to the trigger by chance? If it's sub 2 3/4" that would be excellent in my book...
    I just measured it with calipers. I get 2.78" from backstrap just above grip strap insert to front face of trigger safety or the shortest point between the two. This is without compressing the trigger safety. I then get 2.76 with the trigger safety compressed and 2.64 with the trigger pulled to the wall or where it meets resistance. None of these measurements would change with small backstrap or medium(which it has on it) but would increase with large since it adds material above where the small and medium grip inserts meet the frame. Also note that the trigger safety does not compress flat with the trigger face stock. My guess is that it sticks out approx 1/16-1/8" when it is compressed. I have a Glock trigger I shaved the trigger safety a little to fit flush when it is pulled and it helped the trigger to feel lighter and nicer on the finger in extended shooting while still keeping the function. That may be something to try on the APX but until I see plenty of parts and learn more about it I wouldn't try it as I don't need the reach or feel change for now. I hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by White Crane View Post
    stimpee's got some measurements at post #98 in this current thread.

If you measure what you have you could compare it to his numbers.
    Last edited by JTQ; 07-30-2017 at 03:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    stimpee's got some measurements at post #98 in this current thread.

If you measure what you have you could compare it to his numbers.
    Thanks, just checked... still a bit larger than I would like but definitely useable.

is anyone carrying this full time?
    This country needs an enema- Blues approved sig line

Quote Originally Posted by holmes168 View Post
    is anyone carrying this full time?
    I very likely will be when my duty holster arrives for it. It is on the verge of knocking my 320 out as my primary duty weapon. I believe CanineCombative is in the same boat I am with the APX.

TXPO
    ColdBoreCustom.com
    Certified Glock Armorer
    Certified P320 Armorer
    Certified M&P LE Armorer

Having a retention holster made to get me going now then I'm thinking sept/oct before safariland has light compatible rigs ready to go.

I wasn't sure where to post this to fit best so I will post it here and in the CZ P10C thread.

After completing the 2000 round challenge with the CZ P10 C yesterday and continuing the same with the Beretta APX I wondered how much shorter the reach to the trigger the APX has compared to my Gen 4 Glock 19 so I broke out digital calipers and measured them. Surprise it doesn't have a shorter reach from backstrap to trigger face. At least straight line. It was such a surprise since the APX feels so much smaller in grip and reach to trigger I decided to measure several points on the APX, Gen 4 Glock 19 (with stock grooved face trigger) and CZ P10C.

Using digital calipers for measurements for straight line and to measure the string I used to measure circumferences. Note for reference that the measurements may vary for replication but should be consistent across guns. The APX measurements also closely matched the numbers posted by Stimpee in post #98 in the APX thread here https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....tta-APX/page10

Here are the measurements.(Bolded is shortest measurement for each).

Backstrap to face of trigger without trigger safety depressed at shortest distance.

G19 2.76, P10 2.69, APX 2.83.

Same as above but with trigger safety depressed.

G19 2.73, P10 2.67, APX 2.72.

Same as above but pressing the trigger to the wall or all slack removed.

G19 2.62, P10 2.49, APX 2.65.

Same as above but fully pressed trigger beyond sear release.

G19 2.52, P10 2.41, APX 2.58.

Notice that the P10C has the shortest distance for every category with the Glock a very close second and the APX last in every category except one where it is .01 less than the Glock and that could be a measuring error on my part or basically they are identical on that. I couldn't get past this as the APX just feels so slim and easy to reach the trigger and controls for me. So I measured the grip and the circumference of the grip and reach to trigger. Here is where things got interesting for me.

Measurements below with first number being straight line distance and second number being circumference distance around the same location.

Distance from backstrap under trigger guard where middle finger wraps grip at smallest point.

G19 2.0/5.74", P10 1.82/5.4, APX 1.77/5.25.

Distance at bottom of grip where pinky wraps around grip (NOT widest point or ledge/lip on Glock).

G19 2.15/6.0, P10 2.12/5.75, APX 2.05/5.6.

Grip width/circumference at point where thumb and index finger grasp frame or narrowest point. The circumference is around the trigger with trigger safety pressed but not trigger or basically trigger reach around circumference.

G19 1.15/6.75, P10 1.14/6.55, APX 1.07/6.59.

Grip width at widest point or in the middle where middle and ring finger would wrap around the grip. This is the widest point on P10 and APX but not the widest point on the Glock.

G19 1.18/5.65, P10 1.22/5.66, APX 1.22/5.32.

Width and circumference at lowest point on grip or where pinky grasps the gun or the smallest diameter or shortest distance width wise.

G19 1.14/5.77, P10 1.12/5.55, APX 1.08/5.57.

Looking at the above measurements it becomes clear why the APX feels so small. It is. It has the shortest distance of the three guns in every area except around the trigger and bottom of grip circumferences where the P10 was shorter by .04 and .02 respectively. These number may not mean much or anything to shooters with medium to larger hands and normal sized fingers in length. However for smaller statured shooters and those with shorter fingers(read stubby) like me, the reach to the trigger and controls makes comfort,access and feel much better. Although early in comparison the smaller grip seems to make it easier to grip with less strength,press the mag button and complete reloads for me compared to the Glock 19/23 I have used for 25+ years.

User Tag List