Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Veterans Back on Patrol, This Time to Protect Marijuana

There have been cases in the last few years where the Feds have prosecuted people involved in the legal at the state level marijuana trade for being in possession of a firearm while involved in selling illegal at the federal level marijuana. I would think an armed security guard watching over a huge stash of weed and cash could get caught up in that.
    My comments have not been approved by my employer and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer. These are my comments, not my employer's.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    The financial tension of the marijuana industry here in CO is very interesting. As the article mentions, the big issue is that most FDIC-insured banks don't want to take cash generated by marijuana sales. Some pot shops will set up peripheral accounts and just try to fly under the radar, others take the cash and buy into real estate (another booming industry in CO) because it's a relatively safe investment and a lot harder to steal than cash. My realtor was telling me that she once had someone put 75% down on a $450,000 house - entirely in cash. Still others take the cash to invest it in other businesses because they just don't know what else to do with it. Can't easily sock it away in a Roth IRA.

Until pot becomes legal at a federal level, or at least until enforcement changes such that banks aren't afraid to take pot revenue, this will continue to be an industry that needs a good amount of physical security. The funniest thing to me is that the state of Colorado has had no problem depositing and spending the tax revenue from the cannabis industry - if I remember correctly, in FY2014 they pulled in just over $70 million, which then almost doubled in 2015 at $120 million.

In Panama, there are massive, beautiful high rise luxury condos with like three Americans living in the entire building. They are owned by the drug cartels. Easy way to clean money. This is happening here now as well. Luxury properties will hold their value or increase and become clean money that nobody wants to say anything about because real estate sales is always good for communities, especially when they are holding value on luxury properties by them selling. The place I live now has a large number of million dollar homes (Texas million dollar homes are like 5 million dollar homes in NY or Ca.) that are owned, maintained, and unoccupied by foreign owners. I would venture this is a means to clean money either gained through dope or corruption or unethical business practices.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    In Panama, there are massive, beautiful high rise luxury condos with like three Americans living in the entire building. They are owned by the drug cartels. Easy way to clean money. This is happening here now as well. Luxury properties will hold their value or increase and become clean money that nobody wants to say anything about because real estate sales is always good for communities, especially when they are holding value on luxury properties by them selling. The place I live now has a large number of million dollar homes (Texas million dollar homes are like 5 million dollar homes in NY or Ca.) that are owned, maintained, and unoccupied by foreign owners. I would venture this is a means to clean money either gained through dope or corruption or unethical business practices.
    That makes perfect sense to me. It also helps that here in the Denver metro area there is a huge, ongoing influx of new people; most of whom are 20-something with a vague set of professional skills who are more than likely going to be renters for the next 10+ years. Buying condos with pot money is a great way to not only clean your cash but also establish a reliable revenue stream via renting. Buy the property, hire a management company and now you've turned one source of income into 2.

It's actually likely responsible, to some degree, for the real estate boom in Denver, which is either a "market correction" or a bubble depending on who you ask. Personally I am betting on the latter because at some point most of these 24 year old ski bums will become 32 year old fathers-to-be and start thinking about their credit score and retirement fund, and then living in Denver just because it's Denver won't be as appealing as having a $60k/year salary at a bank in Omaha, NE....

...or at least that is what I am praying for, anyway.

"...or at least that is what I am praying for, anyway"

Ah, Hope, the natural coping mechanism for fear........ We should have learned something about the Presidents campaign slogan on that one.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    "...or at least that is what I am praying for, anyway"

Ah, Hope, the natural coping mechanism for fear........ We should have learned something about the Presidents campaign slogan on that one.
    I am stuck here for at least another 6-7 years so hope is unfortunately all I got... at least the weather is good! Though I am sure you used to say that to yourself all the time in CA....

Isn't that pretty much how Miami boomed in the 80's- massive infusions of drug cash into real estate development, because what else are you going to do with it?
    ETA: IMHO we really need to get on the same page with the marijuana thing. Not that there aren't problems associated with it, I just think there's far more pressing issues to deal with these days.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by NickA; 09-08-2016 at 10:00 AM.

Title 18, Section 924(c) of the US Code is relevant here. https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/924

(c)
    (1)

(A) Except to the extent that a greater minimum sentence is otherwise provided by this subsection or by any other provision of law, any person who, during and in relation to any crime of violence or drug trafficking crime (including a crime of violence or drug trafficking crime that provides for an enhanced punishment if committed by the use of a deadly or dangerous weapon or device) for which the person may be prosecuted in a court of the United States, uses or carries a firearm, or who, in furtherance of any such crime, possesses a firearm, shall, in addition to the punishment provided for such crime of violence or drug trafficking crime—
    (i) be sentenced to a term of imprisonment of not less than 5 years;
    (ii) if the firearm is brandished, be sentenced to a term of imprisonment of not less than 7 years; and
    (iii) if the firearm is discharged, be sentenced to a term of imprisonment of not less than 10 years.
    (B) If the firearm possessed by a person convicted of a violation of this subsection—
    (i) is a short-barreled rifle, short-barreled shotgun, or semiautomatic assault weapon, the person shall be sentenced to a term of imprisonment of not less than 10 years; or
    (ii) is a machinegun or a destructive device, or is equipped with a firearm silencer or firearm muffler, the person shall be sentenced to a term of imprisonment of not less than 30 years.
    Last edited by DMF13; 09-08-2016 at 10:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DMF13 View Post
    Title 18, Section 924(c) of the US Code is relevant here. https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/924

(c)
    (1)

(A) Except to the extent that a greater minimum sentence is otherwise provided by this subsection or by any other provision of law, any person who, during and in relation to any crime of violence or drug trafficking crime (including a crime of violence or drug trafficking crime that provides for an enhanced punishment if committed by the use of a deadly or dangerous weapon or device) for which the person may be prosecuted in a court of the United States, uses or carries a firearm, or who, in furtherance of any such crime, possesses a firearm, shall, in addition to the punishment provided for such crime of violence or drug trafficking crime—
    (i) be sentenced to a term of imprisonment of not less than 5 years;
    (ii) if the firearm is brandished, be sentenced to a term of imprisonment of not less than 7 years; and
    (iii) if the firearm is discharged, be sentenced to a term of imprisonment of not less than 10 years.
    (B) If the firearm possessed by a person convicted of a violation of this subsection—
    (i) is a short-barreled rifle, short-barreled shotgun, or semiautomatic assault weapon, the person shall be sentenced to a term of imprisonment of not less than 10 years; or
    (ii) is a machinegun or a destructive device, or is equipped with a firearm silencer or firearm muffler, the person shall be sentenced to a term of imprisonment of not less than 30 years.
    Not sure I'm getting your point here. Are you suggesting that the private security guards could be charged with a federal crime? Private security guards are merely providing protection for a premises, building, and contents; regardless of the nature or knowledge of those contents.

Seriously, I could hire a private security guard to stand in front of a building with a drug dealer inside and the guard could know a drug dealer lives there, but that should not make him an accessory to drug trafficking. But far be it for me to inject common sense into our inane, archaic, and moronic drug laws.

Site Supporter
    My understanding is Blue Security is only guarding and moving the money. Not dealing with The weed side of the business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List