Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Portugal seeking new assault rifles, light machine guns, sub-machine guns, and pistol

Site Supporter

Portugal seeking new assault rifles, light machine guns, sub-machine guns, and pistol

Attention Rifle & MG companies: Portugal needs a replacement

The Portuguese Army has recently put out a tender for a procurement of 10,225 light machine guns, rifles, submachine guns and handguns according to a recent report by Jane’s Defense (in an article very poorly edited for what they usually put out). The procurement will be in the ballpark of $90.2 million, and is intended for the Army to replace three entire battalions worth of small arms.
    Currently the Portuguese are still using an assortment of G3s, HK 21Es, Uzis, and P5 (modern P38 made by Walter) handguns
    http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...s-replacement/

http://www.janes.com/article/62691/p...cement-project

Portugal's Mechanized and Intervention Brigades and General Support Forces mostly field INDEP G3 assault rifles, HK21 and MG42-59 light machine guns, UZI sub-machine guns, and P38 pistols. The Rapid Reaction Brigade also utilises the G36KV/CV, SG-543, Galil AR/ARM and HK416A5 assault rifles; MG4 machine gun upgraded MP5 SD6 and UMP sub-machine guns; and P228 and USP pistols.

Site Supporter
    Interesting, 10,000+ weapons normally equals about two or three Brigades as a Battalion is normally about 600+.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    Interesting, 10,000+ weapons normally equals about two or three Brigades as a Battalion is normally about 600+.
    I don't know if the numbers add up but they are looking at replacing all small arms for the three battalions, not just rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    Hard to say. The article also said the Portuguese army plans "to entirely replace the bulk of its small arms", so it could be buying significant numbers of additional weapons for war stocks or other deep storage, or distribute to other countries as part of foreign aid plans, to stock the various schools and training institutions, and to have operational spares, etc. It also depends on the weapons mix. If they're equipping special ops people then typically there would be more pieces per trooper, as those guys like to have options. Also, if they plan to distribute pistols more widely, then that could change the balance significantly.

What I really think it means, though, is that the Portuguese generals are getting ready to fight a long, hard war on their own territory, and they want solid gear before things fall completely apart.

Be interesting to see how it pans out, though...

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post

What I really think it means, though, is that the Portuguese generals are getting ready to fight a long, hard war on their own territory, and they want solid gear before things fall completely apart.

Be interesting to see how it pans out, though...

Okie John
    So I can think of a few scenarios for this:

1) EU Unrest due to financial collapse
    2) EU break up resulting in European civil war
    3) The Reconquista Part 2 - Islamic insurgency, maybe via Spain ?
    4) The Russians

Am I even in the ball park ?

If they are just getting rid of those HK21s I could probably help them out with a couple few 1200 of them.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    So I can think of a few scenarios for this:

1) EU Unrest due to financial collapse
    2) EU break up resulting in European civil war
    3) The Reconquista Part 2 - Islamic insurgency, maybe via Spain ?
    4) The Russians

Am I even in the ball park ?
    Unfortunately, yes. Now that I think about it, maybe they're getting ready for a draft and they know that they're gonna need guns for all of the new guys.

Okie John
    Last edited by okie john; 09-08-2016 at 12:57 AM.
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Historically Portugal has always bought german light weapons, it would be interesting if they go with HK again this time...

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Didn't the French recently select the HK 416 to replace the FAMAS, or was that a rumor?
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    Didn't the French recently select the HK 416 to replace the FAMAS, or was that a rumor?
    Confirmed by Jim Schatz (G3Kurz) at HKpro forums:

http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk416-hk4...france-13.html

User Tag List