Thread: Early 1970's finest North American Game Rifle

Early 1970's finest North American Game Rifle

On Christmas Day 1974, my uncle received his first hunting rifle: a Remington 700 BDL 30/06 with a Leupold Vari-X III 1.5-5x20. The scope was mounted in Redfield mounts with smooth top (underscrew) rings. He killed every deer in his life with that rifle and when he introduced me to hunting, it's the rifle I learned on as well. Last year, it was stolen, along with all of his other guns (my grandpa, his dad's Winchester mod. 12, Ruger Blackhawk .44 mag, and several others) in a burglary of his home, 2 weeks before the opening of deer season. Only one rifle out of everything was recovered: a 7mag he asked me to help him find about 3 years ago. You see, they lived in Texas in the 70's and my grandpa had a 700 7mm Rem Mag that was a matching twin to the '06 my uncle received for Christmas that year. My uncle asked me 3 years ago to help aquire a 7mag to, sort of, reuinite the pair again. I found for him a mint '77 model off Gunbroker from a gent in California. As I said, that 7mag is the only thing to have been recovered from his home burglary. Since then, my uncle got a safe, installed security cameras, and then asked me to help him reaquire the '06. The following is my best effort:

It's a 1972 700 BDL in 30/06 with factory hooded front and adjustable rear sight. Interestingly, the receiver appears to also be factory tapped for a peep sight. The scope is a new in box first gen. Leupold Vari-X III 1.5-5 from 1973 according to Leupold. It was purchaesed out of the estate of a sporting goods dealer from California. Neat history, nice equipment, and most importantly, blessing the man who taught me how to hunt and turn a wrench. Here's to you Uncle Wade! Get a biggun!

Last edited by ASH556; 09-07-2016 at 08:43 AM.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

First of all, you're a damned good nephew.

Second, it's funny how little things change as time goes on. A 22" M-700 in 30/06 with a 1-5 scope may still be one of the most versatile rifles out there.

Well done, on many levels.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

+1. Great story and thanks for sharing.

Dude that's awesome! I'm so glad you found a rifle finally, I know you have been searching for a while now. The scope is just freaking amazing too, he's going to love it!

Beautiful!

It's like you opened a time capsule. That rifle is mint.

Very nice rifle acquired by an extremely nice nephew!

Site Supporter
    I remember how thrilled I was to graduate up to a 30-06 model 700 with a Leupold 2-7x back in the 70's from a Marlin 30-30. I remember thinking this is a " real rifle". Still a great rifle

You're a great nephew!
    "Backstabbers and window-lickers rise to the top of human organizations like oxygen-rich turds in a champagne fountain. I suspect it's been that way since at least the Bronze Age." _ Me. 2016

User Tag List