Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: J Frame POA/POI

Lighter and faster "usually" shoot lower. Also try some other brands of wadcutters if you can find them. They may shoot to a different POI.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Like how much for each 5 additional yards and at what point does it start coming back down? I'm not sure I would worry about an inch.

Quote Originally Posted by GAP View Post
    I just purchased my first 642 and shot it for the first time today.

I used 148gr Federal Wadcutters. Even at 5 yards they shot about an inch high, increasing with distance from there.

Would the recommendation be to try lighter and faster such as the Gold dot, go heavier with a SWC or just get used to where the Federal wadcutters hit and move on?
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    Like how much for each 5 additional yards and at what point does it start coming back down? I'm not sure I would worry about an inch.
    I misspoke, it was closer to 2" high at 5 yards. From 25 yards off of a rest, it was about 6" high. I am not sure where it starts to come back down, 25 was the farthest I shot today.

Well, on the bright side, youre probably good for a body hold out to about 100 yards.

I probably should have purchased five different boxes of .38 sp to test rather than several of the same.
    Last edited by GAP; 10-16-2016 at 07:28 AM.

Still on the bright side, this is how we learn stuff. Its still trigger time. Up close it wont matter as much for practice.

I have a 60 that shoots POA with just about anything from 5 yards to minute of eight inch plate out to 25 yards. I have a 360j that seems to shoot 3-4" low with just about anything at 5 yards. I sent it back and s&w adjusted the barrel and returned it with a target with a nice group but low but I don't know the distance. I will take it tomorrow and shoot it. My two main loads are 2.8 bullseye under 148 dewc or 3.5 titegroup under 158 SWC.

I've always heard J-frames being touted as hard too shoot, but I didn't realize the extent of how finicky they are when it comes to ammo.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dropkick View Post
    I've always heard J-frames being touted as hard too shoot, but I didn't realize the extent of how finicky they are when it comes to ammo.
    99.997% of j frame owners never shoot far away or accurately enough where it would be noticeable at all. So there is not much incentive for S&W to do anything about it, such as making their j frames with decent, reasonably robust and adjustable sights.

I bought my first new J-Frame in 1979 and have owned over a dozen samples since then. Up until the 90’s, most of my guns shot to POA (well within my wobble zone) with 140-158 gr bullets at standard velocity.

Beginning in the early to mid-90’s, the guns seem to require lighter ammo in the 125-130 gr range to achieve POA/POI and the windage wasn’t quite as predictable as earlier models.

I have not owned a J-Frame with the two piece barrel design so my experience is limited to shooting a couple of Mod 340's that displayed a very workable POI with 135 gr Gold Dots.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

User Tag List