Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 340 vs 442/642

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    Not LSP, but I am a total convert to the M&P340 as "The J frame". Wayne and I are both using them extensively for back up and discrete carry. Both have APEX kits and no locks. I am using Mike's boot grips for carry and I have a set of real Spegel wood boot grips if I want it to look good. It is really the state of the art snub in my mind with its sights, materials, construction, etc. Do I like shooting it a lot...no. It is the bottom end of light and I have 640's as trainers if I want to shoot a bunch. I think they are just very "capable" while in the lightest, smallest package I would every use.

There ya go, 11B10. DB tells you straight. Sadly, I have ZERO experience with the M&P J frame, so I couldn't have advised you anyway. Sorry...

Shot 5 rounds of 357 through mine today because it was the only Gold Dot I could find. That will never happen again. Then shot a box of 158gn standard velocity. That is some sweet stuff. I could shoot it all day.
    Can someone clarify something for me. Are the 158 grain hitting aprox same POI/POA as the 130-135 grain P+ rounds?
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Site Supporter
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1372
Size:  32.7 KB

What my 642 sights look like with fluorescent orange modeling paint on the front and black sharpie on the rear. 12 years in my pocket, on my ankle, or in a SmartCarry. This is the second or third time I've painted the front sight, fifth or sixth on the rear. Liking the orange better than the glossy red nail polish that was on it last time. Had white on it one time. Non-starter.

I don't feel the need to get something different. It runs, it's as accurate as anything this size I've ever shot, and I trust it. That said, I very rarely shoot it with +p. Stings.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1372
Size:  32.7 KB

What my 642 sights look like with fluorescent orange modeling paint on the front and black sharpie on the rear. 12 years in my pocket, on my ankle, or in a SmartCarry. This is the second or third time I've painted the front sight, fifth or sixth on the rear. Liking the orange better than the glossy red nail polish that was on it last time. Had white on it one time. Non-starter.

I don't feel the need to get something different. It runs, it's as accurate as anything this size I've ever shot, and I trust it. That said, I very rarely shoot it with +p. Stings.
    My 642 sights look just like this ^^^^. Black sharpie rear / Hot Tamale Orange nail polish on the front.

My girlfriend is nice and keeps a drawer full of front sight paint. With that said, compared to the sights on my 340 M&P, 640 Pro, and 642 Power port, or pre 68 Colt snubs....no comparison. I much prefer the ones with real sights to the painted nubs.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post

I have had my 442 since 2000. Having played with the .357 versions in the past, I have absolutely ZERO desire to ever shoot a full house .357 through an Airweight J Frame ever again. I shoot a fair amount of .44 magnums and consider the recoil of the .357s in J Frames to be far worse.

The single biggest factor in improving performance of the J Frames in my observation/experience is the addition of CT laser grips. The substantial performance increase in accurate shooting is very hard to ignore, as well as having the ability to make hits in less than optimal lighting conditions.

Frankly I consider the CT grips to be pretty much mandatory on J Frames used for personal defense.
    Are those the Crimson Trace LG 405 grips?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastex View Post

They don't look like 405's. I don't see the air pocket cushion on the back.

I believe those are the original, now discontinued, version of the 105s.

Quote Originally Posted by Imaposer2 View Post
    I believe those are the original, now discontinued, version of the 105s.
    It's discontinued?? Glad I got mine when I did.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastex View Post

I honestly have NO idea on a model #.

They have been on the gun for years and I have no idea if the old box is around.

They make the gun accurate enough to allow the whacking of jackrabbits at 20-25 ish yards (on a good night), so I figure that is plenty good enough.

User Tag List