Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: 340 vs 442/642

Okay, the S&W web site says 23 ounces- which is a few ounces more than my M-640. That's good... But does it work okay WITHOUT those communist moon clips?

I despise The Lock, of course, but I know how to get rid of that POS; and the revolver will be only be used for real deal stuff during dark days. Guess I'll go look at the Pro 640 thread and make up my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by 11B10 View Post
    I want to thank you again for giving me the info I needed to make the right choice. Check my post from earlier today. Everything is there - no sense repeating it all. Oh, OK. - $592.00 for a no-lock M&P 340!
    Is this an everyday price? As in do you know where a second one is at this price?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    Okay, the S&W web site says 23 ounces- which is a few ounces more than my M-640. That's good... But does it work okay WITHOUT those communist moon clips?

I despise The Lock, of course, but I know how to get rid of that POS; and the revolver will be only be used for real deal stuff during dark days. Guess I'll go look at the Pro 640 thread and make up my mind.

The 640 Pro does not have the lock. The extra weight is very helpful in reducing recoil. It works fine without the moon clips. The standard tritium sights are very nice in dark conditions.

Digiroc
    Last edited by Digiroc; 09-13-2016 at 08:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Digiroc View Post
    The 640 Pro does not have the lock. The extra weight is very helpful in reducing recoil. It works fine without the moon clips. The standard tritium sights are very nice in dark conditions.

Digiroc
    Thank you, sir. I believe I'm going to score one when I get home.

I'm really close to picking up a 340 with no lock. My only question, is it really $200 better than a Ruger LCR? For another $60 I can put a big dot front on the LCR, and unless I'm missing something I'm $140 ahead with the Ruger?

Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    Is this an everyday price? As in do you know where a second one is at this price?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's the S&W LE price. That's the same price my local cop shop sells them for.

Quote Originally Posted by 125 mph View Post
    I'm really close to picking up a 340 with no lock. My only question, is it really $200 better than a Ruger LCR? For another $60 I can put a big dot front on the LCR, and unless I'm missing something I'm $140 ahead with the Ruger?
    Well, don't take this personally... But if you are worried about the S&W being $200 more than the Ruger... buy a Ruger.

It has been covered here many times before; the J frame is smaller, handier, IOW easier to conceal, than any LCR. You can also double-clutch the LCR trigger a lot easier than you can the S&W action; IOW, short-stroke the trigger which makes you miss that round, period. Some people don't believe that; okay, fine with me.

The LCR is a good piece; lots of folks here like it. But lots of us also think that the S&W J frame is a better choice for concealed-carry piece... And who gives a damn what the price difference is?

Quote Originally Posted by 125 mph View Post
    If you do want to buy an LCR with a big dot all ready on it and great holsters.....let me know.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Site Supporter
    I decided to try another 340M&P (thanks pf) now that I'm a much better j frame shooter than I was the first time around 8yrs ago. Had to go back for a canted front sight, grouped 7" left @25yds. Hopefully they can straighten the shroud. Next time I'm taking a magnifying glass to the gunshow .
    Otherwise, yeah that front sight is much easier for my eyes to see than the post/notch on my 642 particularly without my glasses. It also helped me to really appreciate the PC action job that came standard on my 642 Talo!
    Adam

Bump for consideration of 340 vs 340PD purchase.

Just how delicate is the Ti cylinder? This thread isnt the first I've read about it needing a lot of care. The finish just comes off? With certain solvents or is it from scrubbing?

And while I have your attention, 148 vs 158 WC have the same recoil, the difference is that the 158 is too slow? Is my understanding correct?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Isaac; 11-07-2016 at 08:32 AM.

User Tag List