Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: 340 vs 442/642

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    There ya go, 11B10. DB tells you straight. Sadly, I have ZERO experience with the M&P J frame, so I couldn't have advised you anyway. Sorry...

LSP972 - sorry I missed this post ^^^^. I want you to know I have been thinking of - and praying for - you much since you made the details of your situation public knowledge. It speaks volumes as to your character that while you most assuredly have much to think about, you are still contributing absolutely great info here and I thank you so much for doing so.

Speaking to that info and after re-reading (many times) nyeti's advice and thoughts on "which j-frame," I visited my favorite FFL this morning and spent a couple hours bs-ing with the guys, but more importantly, getting a real feel for the M & P 340. I have felt this kind of urge so many times before, but this one has to be pre-ordained as the M & P 340 just came down in price AGAIN, now at $592.00. The only reason I'm not at the range right now is because due to my recent retirement, I DO have to exercise some degree of financial restraint, which is something foreign to me. Not to worry, though, as the price and availability are now 'etched in stone.' Soon.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hauptmann View Post
    I think J-frames are perfectly fine for civilian personal defense away from home(hopefully won't have to shoot enough to reload) provided that you shoot it well. Personally, I do not shoot hammerless DAO airweights well, and I would rather go with something that I can shoot accurately out to 25yrds. I think it is especially critical that you be able to very accurately shoot the pistol well considering the low capacity, and difficulty in reloading a revolver. So, the smallest I am willing to go is my classic S&W model 60 all stainless .38spl. It has just enough weight to keep the recoil down so that I keep the gun steady even under stress, and it of course has the exposed hammer so that I can go into SA mode. Shooting bowling pins at 35yrds is no problem with this pistol.
    This is why I like a 638 and Crimson Trace Laser grips. When I retire it will likely be a J-frame as my CCW. You got to be a dedicated shooter and two J-frames won't be a bad idea.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    Not LSP, but I am a total convert to the M&P340 as "The J frame". Wayne and I are both using them extensively for back up and discrete carry. Both have APEX kits and no locks. I am using Mike's boot grips for carry and I have a set of real Spegel wood boot grips if I want it to look good. It is really the state of the art snub in my mind with its sights, materials, construction, etc. Do I like shooting it a lot...no. It is the bottom end of light and I have 640's as trainers if I want to shoot a bunch. I think they are just very "capable" while in the lightest, smallest package I would every use.

I want to thank you again for giving me the info I needed to make the right choice. Check my post from earlier today. Everything is there - no sense repeating it all. Oh, OK. - $592.00 for a no-lock M&P 340!

Doesn't the 442/642 both have the "blast shield" between the forcing cone and top strap........I believe they do...correct me if I am wrong.

Jim

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bellino View Post
    Doesn't the 442/642 both have the "blast shield" between the forcing cone and top strap........I believe they do...correct me if I am wrong.
    No. The aluminum frame guns do not. They don't need it as they are 38 special. The Ti / Sc guns do.

I have both the 360PD AirLite and the 640 Pro. One to carry and one to shoot. 5 rounds of .357 in the AirLite seems to be a popular stopping point. My wrist hurt for three days after firing a cylinder full of .357s in my 360PD. I doubt if I'll ever fire magnums out of it anymore. Adding the CT laser grips with the air channel helps a lot, making +p's tolerable from it.

I did carry the AirLite all day today in an ankle holster and it didn't bother me at all. I'm sure the 640 would have felt like a ball and chain carried there.

Digiroc

Name:  S&W snubbys.jpg
Views: 1146
Size:  63.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by 11B10 View Post
    the M & P 340 just came down in price AGAIN, now at $592.00.
    Links? I just googled and didn't find that. I could use a no-lock for carry and use the lock version I have for training.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by 11B10 View Post
    A very good buddy, retired LEO, is lobbying - hard - to get me to buy the M & P 340 over the 642. When I stand there in his store and do the dry fire comparisons, the 340 is a clear winner, in MY honest opinion.
    Doesn't sound like a deal you'll find on the google.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    Links? I just googled and didn't find that. I could use a no-lock for carry and use the lock version I have for training.
    El Cid - send me a pm.

V
    Quote Originally Posted by Digiroc View Post
    I have both the 360PD AirLite and the 640 Pro. One to carry and one to shoot. 5 rounds of .357 in the AirLite seems to be a popular stopping point. My wrist hurt for three days after firing a cylinder full of .357s in my 360PD. I doubt if I'll ever fire magnums out of it anymore. Adding the CT laser grips with the air channel helps a lot, making +p's tolerable from it.

I did carry the AirLite all day today in an ankle holster and it didn't bother me at all. I'm sure the 640 would have felt like a ball and chain carried there.

Digiroc

Name:  S&W snubbys.jpg
Views: 1146
Size:  63.8 KB
    That 640 PRO is a nice- looking good piece. Do you know how many ounces it weighs? If it weighs more than my old, decrepit M-640, I may buy one; for a practice critter.

User Tag List