Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: enhancing the results from dry firing?

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    Maybe a bit of this: http://www.wisdomination.com/screw-m...is-discipline/

Followed by this: http://www.wisdomination.com/practical-discipline/

Also, there are bunch of systems out there designed to make dry practice more interesting, especially in the realm of laser trainers. The problem is that I can't find anyone who shoots well who actually uses them. There are all kinds of non-shooting internet gun gurus who extol them but I don't see any nationally ranked shooters who do.
    Mike seeklander is a big promoter of sirt guns. He's also big into combatives and uses it for that as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

I saw marked improvement in my dry fire results when I learned to dry fire while being able to not cheat due to lack of recoil, meaning full pressure grip, decent stance, and being acutely aware of whether my sight alignment was good enough.

I'd also like to echo what John Hearne mentioned about dedication. I've tried to get reps in on my pistol even if it's just a few trigger presses and a couple draws. Also, if you can't handle the pistol, there are things you can still do such as strength and grip work, stretching to prevent overuse injuries, vision, movement, reloads, visualization. Some of that may be more competition focused, but other aspects of that apply whether you're on the gaming or tactical side of things.

when I learned to dry fire while being able to not cheat due to lack of recoil, meaning full pressure grip, decent stance, and being acutely aware of whether my sight alignment was good enough.
    Thanks for this. I actually stropped dry firing because I got worse, and now that I read your post, I realize that I was cheating the grip, and that's why I got worse.

Ok, after following your advice for about three weeks now I went to the range yesterday. When I shot against the timer on short distances (around 7meters) I was noticeably faster, while I shot more accurate than last time. And at 25 meters my accuracy did not suffer. So thank you all verry much!

Of course there is still something to work on. I waste to much time after the "beep", but I guess this will get better by doing more training with a timer.
    Another problem are quick follow up shots. I can`t train this in dryfiring, so my body allways wants to relax and reholster the gun after the first shot. Overcoming this needs concentration and slows me down. Do you have any suggestions on this problem?
    If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.

For the wasting time after the beep, start moving at the start of the beep, not after the beep has stopped. Might seem like not a big deal, but it can knock some serious time off of whatever you are trying to do.

For the quick follow-up shots, depending on what gun you shoot, try re-pressing the trigger several times using timed drills you would use in live fire. If you shoot a Glock, then something like a rubber band in the ejection port will allow the trigger to move back and forth (with significantly less weight than the actual trigger). If you shoot a DA/SA gun, then just let the trigger out part way and re-press the trigger to get used to multiple shots.

In the end, the best way to train recoil control is live fire and there is nothing you can really do for it in dry fire, except to grip the gun really hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Luger View Post
    Of course there is still something to work on. I waste to much time after the "beep", but I guess this will get better by doing more training with a timer.
    Another problem are quick follow up shots. I can`t train this in dryfiring, so my body allways wants to relax and reholster the gun after the first shot. Overcoming this needs concentration and slows me down. Do you have any suggestions on this problem?
    When you say you are wasting too much time after the beep where and how are you loosing that time? Are you presenting from a holster or a ready position. Both of those starting points can and should be used in dry fire practice. Focus on the exact spot on the target you want to hit and bring the gun to your eye. Don't present the gun and then bring your eye to the gun.

After spending some time doing dry presentations do it with your eyes closed. Start by focusing on the exact spot you want to hit. As you begin your presentation close your eyes and bring the gun to the point. Now open your eyes and evaluate your point of aim. Work on refining your presentation such that muscle memory brings the gun to as close to perfect a spot as possible. Your ultimate goal is perfect sight alignment on your intended target where all you need to do is verify the sights and press the trigger.

Also you should explore what is a "good enough" sight picture. You could be wasting time trying to improve a good enough sight picture for the shot. This mainly comes in to play at distances from 7 meters and closer. Shoot a series of 4 shots with your front sight purposely misaligned. 1. front sight to the left extreme in the rear notch. 2. front sight to the right extreme in the rear notch. 3. front sight high in the rear notch. 4. front sight low in the rear notch. Try and do this slowly and carefully with clean trigger presses. You don't want to skew the data with a trigger snatch. By seeing how far off your sights can be and still deliver an acceptable shot for a particular target and distance is very valuable information. This understanding can speed up the "delivery process".

Quote Originally Posted by BCL View Post
    For the wasting time after the beep, start moving at the start of the beep, not after the beep has stopped. Might seem like not a big deal, but it can knock some serious time off of whatever you are trying to do.
    This sounds like a pretty good idea. I`ll give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by BCL View Post
    For the quick follow-up shots, depending on what gun you shoot, try re-pressing the trigger several times using timed drills you would use in live fire. If you shoot a Glock, then something like a rubber band in the ejection port will allow the trigger to move back and forth (with significantly less weight than the actual trigger).
    Can`t this damage the trigger?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    Also you should explore what is a "good enough" sight picture. You could be wasting time trying to improve a good enough sight picture for the shot. This mainly comes in to play at distances from 7 meters and closer. Shoot a series of 4 shots with your front sight purposely misaligned. 1. front sight to the left extreme in the rear notch. 2. front sight to the right extreme in the rear notch. 3. front sight high in the rear notch. 4. front sight low in the rear notch. Try and do this slowly and carefully with clean trigger presses. You don't want to skew the data with a trigger snatch. By seeing how far off your sights can be and still deliver an acceptable shot for a particular target and distance is very valuable information. This understanding can speed up the "delivery process".
    Actually this might be a big part of the problem. I did focus on "long" (about 9 meters) distances and small targets (circle of about 8cm) in dry firing. While this was ok for accurate firing at the 25m range, it might not be for fast shots at short distances. I`ll add a bigger target to my fast dry firing sessions and I`ll give the shooting with misaligned sights a try at my next trip to the range.

Thank both of you, for the advice. I`ll report the results in a few weeks.
    If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Luger View Post
    Can`t this damage the trigger?
    Not on any gun that I'm aware of (of modern design). On a DA/SA gun you will add wear to the trigger return spring, which will cause more frequent replacement than if you just shot it live fire. The rubber band trick on the Glock shouldn't cause any damage whatsoever. Even with more frequent TRS changes, I think the benefits far outweigh the downside.

Quote Originally Posted by scw2 View Post
    I'd also like to echo what John Hearne mentioned about dedication. I've tried to get reps in on my pistol even if it's just a few trigger presses and a couple draws.
    A concern I have about just a few draws and presses, using the primary pistol, is safety. It is easy to have a full procedure (separate room, backstop, no ammo in room, etc.) when you are doing a formal dry fire session, and harder when the practice is more impromptu.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    A concern I have about just a few draws and presses, using the primary pistol, is safety. It is easy to have a full procedure (separate room, backstop, no ammo in room, etc.) when you are doing a formal dry fire session, and harder when the practice is more impromptu.
    That's part of the reason for having a spare as a practice gun, at least for me. My carry gun stays loaded pretty much all the time and can be left elsewhere.

User Tag List