Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: enhancing the results from dry firing?

enhancing the results from dry firing?

At the moment I don`t have much time left, to go to the shooting range. And I`m afraid this will not change much within the next months. I do my best, to compensate this a little by doing a lot of dry firing. I allways liked dry firing as a easy and cheap way to pratice safe gun handling, trigger control and clearing of malfunctions. And I`ve been satisfied with my results in the past years. But I allways combined it with frequent life fire practice at the shooting range.

When I went to the shooting range last time, I found out that I was still quite accurate (by my standards, which I`m afraid are not too high) at 25 meters. But when I tried to do some IPSC, I really sucked. I was clearly slower and less accurate, than in past times.

Is there any possibility, to address this in my dry fire sessions? At the moment I do every movement very slow and careful, to force myself to handle my gun concisely. Is it a good idea to move faster? Maybe even use a timer? Or will this ruin my handling skills and cause even more trouble? Should I combine fast and slow dry firing sessions? Or should I just stay with what I`m doing?

I`m fully aware, that my shooting skills will decrease furthermore, untill I start to pratice life fire shooting frequently again. But I hope, that I can slow the decrease down a little bit.
    If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.

Yes, spend at least half of your time dry firing at the speed you want in live fire. The biggest thing you need to worry about is being honest with yourself in dry fire. Use the same grip pressure as in live fire and don't screw yourself by not being honest with your hits.

Ideally, all of your gun handling speed gains would be made in dry fire anyways, as it doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Using a timer for par times will be key to gaining gun handling speed in dry fire. I'd recommend reading Ben Stoeger's dry firing books, particularly the red one, as it will give you good drills and par times to shoot for.

The only thing you can't really work on in dry fire is recoil control and sight tracking.

Get Ben Stoeger or Steve Andersons dry fire books. Work the par times hard while being honest with yourself about your shot calling. You will see improvements and if you keep it it up they will be massive.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

Has your accuracy at 25 yards not gone down hill because that's what you practice in dry fire?
    The only live fire I get is matches, but I dry fire every day. I have a journal here if you'd like to see what info for dry fire fo IPSC type skills. (I'd start at the end and work back, just now figuring out what to do lol). I believe you can stay fresh with dry fire and not much live fire. The trick is you have to dry fire what you want to get better at. Dry firing slow fire groups won't help you blaze a field course.
    Last edited by Luke; 09-05-2016 at 08:54 AM.
    i used to wannabe

Excellent Dry Fire info.

Last edited by JohnO; 09-05-2016 at 09:33 AM.

Very interesting video. Dryfire to Live fire ratio of 100 to 1. Can't say that I've ever heard of the "Holding drill" though. Holding your position perfectly for up to a minute and a half without moving sounds like it would be hard even without a gun in your hand. Is this done to enhance grip strength in lieu of a "captains of crush" workout?

Quote Originally Posted by GNiner View Post
    Very interesting video. Dryfire to Live fire ratio of 100 to 1. Can't say that I've ever heard of the "Holding drill" though. Holding your position perfectly for up to a minute and a half without moving sounds like it would be hard even without a gun in your hand. Is this done to enhance grip strength in lieu of a "captains of crush" workout?
    I can speak only from my own perspective. I have Captains of Crush grippers as well as some other grip strength devices. I also am a bit of a gym rat and spend a good bit of time throwing free weights around which means I'm gripping there too.

I find that the only thing that approximates gripping a pistol is 'gripping a pistol'! Everything else builds basic strength and conditioning. Nothing accurately duplicates having your pistol in your strong hand and your support hand wrapped around that, both hands gripping correctly. Doing correct repetitions of holding drills puts everything together, all the fundamentals sight alignment, sight picture, stance, grip and trigger control for the actual trigger press. Then the holding portion exaggerates and extends follow through and builds strength and control like no other exercise can.

If you are on facebook, go to the 1000 Days Of Dryfire group.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Thank you all for the advice. I'll try it within the next weeks and report my results after my next trip to the range.
    If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.

Hello I'm very much interested in this topic. I do not see a 100 Days of Dryfire group on Facebook? Maybe it's under a different name?

User Tag List