Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Good .380 ACP JHP for the wife?

Quote Originally Posted by DannyZRC View Post
    #01, Placement
    #02, Penetration
    #37, Everything else.
    #1is reliability in your gun.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    #1is reliability in your gun.
    Be aware that the 102gr Golden Sabers are a little longer than most other .380 ammo. They work fine in my Beretta, but obviously, test them in whatever gun you use.

Quote Originally Posted by phidelta308 View Post
    Be aware that the 102gr Golden Sabers are a little longer than most other .380 ammo. They work fine in my Beretta, but obviously, test them in whatever gun you use.
    I have ran them through multiple LCPs and one SIG P238 without issue.

I wouldn't advocate using JHPs in anything below 9mm energy levels (i.e., around 300ft-lbs).

Everything I have seen seems to indicate that rounds in the .380 ACP range -- generally under 200 ft-lbs -- lack sufficient energy to provide both penetration and expansion reliably. If they expand, they generally fail to penetrate. The aforementioned hydrashoks do come closest, but just barely.

I'd far rather have a round that I know will penetrate sufficiently as a rule, and as such would lean heavily towards FMjs in such a gun.

Considering the crappy sights and overall poor "shootability" of most pocket .380's, they are screw it into the bad guys ear and pull the trigger pistols.
    So just about any ammo that feeds reliably will work.
    What I have found is the "premium" JHP loads tend to have better quality control then the FMJ "target" loads.
    I would not get wrapped around the axle with jello results when it comes to mouse calibers, they all suck.

Considering the crappy sights and overall poor "shootability" of most pocket .380's, they are screw it into the bad guys ear and pull the trigger pistols.
    So just about any ammo that feeds reliably will work.
    What I have found is the "premium" JHP loads tend to have better quality control then the FMJ "target" loads.
    I would not get wrapped around the axle with jello results when it comes to mouse calibers, they all suck.
    Again, from what I've seen, many premium .380 JHP loads struggle to make 9" of penetration if they expand (that's what she said), while even target FMJ loads will easily break 16".

The whole FBI rethink of the early 90s was because their 9mm Silvertips failed to provide adequate penetration with while expanding, and those carried far more energy than even the hottest .380 loadings.

The whole FBI "rethink" was due to taking a snubbie to a rifle fight.

I'm just not that worried about a few extra inches of penetration out of a 2" barreled .380 with no sights.
    10.5" penetration, .54" expansion through 4-layer denim works just fine when you screw the barrel into their nostril and press the trigger repeatedly.
    It's a POS mouse gun...

works just fine when you screw the barrel into their nostril and press the trigger repeatedly.
    I like your style, bro. Apparently you "get" that the key word in "gunfight" is "fight."
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

The whole FBI "rethink" was due to taking a snubbie to a rifle fight.
    For values of snubbies equal to S&W duty weapons having rounds stop shy of the perp's aorta.

Even for the distances involved in the Miami shootout, a 9mm Silvertip would have carried far more energy that the hottest of .380 loads at PBR.

What does anyone think about the Buffalo Bore-Barnes .380 +P? According to their website, they say a Kel Tec P3AT would get around 1130 fps. Not sure what this would mean in terms of penetration, but I would think it would be more than 993 fps offered in the Cor-Bon DPX...?

User Tag List