Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: So I Show Up To Matches Without A Vest

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    I've always wanted to get a used Girl Scouts vest with all the patches and go destroy some people wearing that!
    See, that is why they made sure the Tanfoglio isn't legal in IDPA.

You are going to be a real piece of work by the time you make GM.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

The Girl Scout vest idea is genius! I wish I had the balls to do it! I just want to be clear my original post was a bit "tongue in cheek". Every IDPA match I have attended has been super enjoyable. Everyone I've been exposed to at those matches has been friendly and helpful to me. Even without a vest!
    Last edited by robdog; 09-04-2016 at 12:15 PM.

I was thinking about a Walmart vest but they are too short to conceal a rig on my long torso.

I like shooting IDPA. The worst part is people who shoot other games telling me I am doing it all wrong.

It's a game that can have benefits if you let it. Determine the best balance of fun and not getting killed in the streets and tell everyone else who suggests you wear different clothes to fuck off. As the resident vest disresptctor if you wanna wear one then wear it, it's competition equipment that the best are using and for good reason. If you wanna be realz then wear a t-shirt. People might look at ya weird but oh well, make fun of their vest. Just do your thing and have fun.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Great, you wear a t-shirt and use your carry gear. You are very tactical. In the winter I wear a jacket. In the summer I wear a vest. I'm not gonna win a match based on the 1 second cumulative difference. IDPA is just a game and I treat it as such. The number of draws during an entire match can be done at home in a minute of dry fire. To make dry fire practice at home more tactical, set your alarm for 4 AM and do it in your tighty whities. No photos or video for your P-F training log, please.

Must vary from club to club. I'd guess only 1/2 to maybe 2/3 of the guys wear vests at my club. There were plenty of other shooters without a vest.
    Last edited by David S.; 09-05-2016 at 07:54 AM.

As long as your clothing choices are within the rules, wear what you want to wear, have fun, etc. If I ever try IDPA (not terribly likely, as there's plenty of USPSA around to keep me busy), I won't bother with a vest, but I'm not about to tell other people they're wrong for wearing them.

I finally convinced an LEO friend of mine to attend an IDPA match with me. He wore his duty gun in a pancake holster under a Polo shirt. The "wise" SO told him that drawing from a closed front garment was super unsafe but they'd let him do it, just for today. They had the honest expectation that he would go buy a vest to play their game. Any guesses on how many more IDPA matches he attended?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Site Supporter
    We have all kinds - not dogmatic. I have a crappy old soft vest I got as a seconds cheap in Academy. I also wear a floppy shirt over a t-shirt quite a bit. When it is ever colder, a fleece vest. It's a real garment. The hard line line competitors wear the stiff logo covered stuff. But that's a few. We have folks wearing shirts over their guns with no problems. When it gets above 90 we mostly ditch cover and screw IDPA. The purists still wear them for practice. I rarely see a vest on the street. I have a nice dress up vest - looks like nice cloth that I've worn once in awhile. No multiple pockets, it's like one you would wear under a suit jacket.

As long as IDPA has silly rules like the mag limits for higher cap guns, how can one take vests seriously? However, the 10+1 rule does you give you some reload practice, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    I finally convinced an LEO friend of mine to attend an IDPA match with me. He wore his duty gun in a pancake holster under a Polo shirt. The "wise" SO told him that drawing from a closed front garment was super unsafe but they'd let him do it, just for today. They had the honest expectation that he would go buy a vest to play their game. Any guesses on how many more IDPA matches he attended?
    Did anyone tactfully address that with the SO or the MD?
    Last edited by ST911; 09-05-2016 at 01:22 PM.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

User Tag List