Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So I Show Up To Matches Without A Vest

So I Show Up To Matches Without A Vest

I just wear a t-shirt to conceal my Glock. Just like everyday for me. I very rarely see anyone else doing this! Do you serious guys think someone like me is a dork? To me IDPA is a fun way to apply some "pressure" to my live fire shooting. In a way to mimic real world situations to be prepared for a SD situation. I do enjoy the competition and strive to do my best but I never wear a vest when I leave the house! So do I cave in to the peer pressure or just be comfortable being the misfit? lol

Be a misfit! If I ever shot an idpa match it would be from carry gear. Sadly they don't allow appendix carry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

Site Supporter
    Robdog-
    I guess it depends on why you're there...
    If you're "playing" IDPA to win the game (and that's okay)... A "shoot me first" vest might help your game.
    If, on the other hand, you view IDPA as an opportunity to shoot with your daily carry setup, under some stress (time, competitive nature, etc), then continue to roll with a t-shirt.
    I don't know if I'm the "serious guy" you addressed the question to, but I've shot IDPA off and on since 1998 (active duty and remote deployments can interfere with regular match attendance), and I've never owned a vest. I shoot as I carry daily, either off duty or at work. I've always viewed it as an opportunity to get better at solving a problem with my daily carry setup, rather than a game.
    Yes, I know, it's not truly "tactical," but it's better than a square range, and more frequently available than training most guys can attend, either professionally or privately paid for on the side.
    If you're clear as to why you're there in your own mind, it won't matter what anyone else is wearing/doing.

Gyro

Site Supporter
    I have always shot IDPA from my normal carry gear and attire. The best to comments I received regarding my lack of a vest were, "oh, you're one of those," and, "did you forget your vest?"

I've considered shooting IDPA, but I'll be damned if I'm going to wear a vest.

Quote Originally Posted by EricP View Post
    I have always shot IDPA from my normal carry gear and attire. The best to comments I received regarding my lack of a vest were, "oh, you're one of those," and, "did you forget your vest?"
    The guys at the club where I shoot don't care whether you wear a vest or not.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

I shoot wearing my normal clothes. I do own a couple of vests (nothing tactical though), if I wore one to work yesterday then I might wear it to the match today. But mostly I wear something else. Nobody has ever said a word about my cover garment. In fact, over here, the tactical vest guys seem more of a minority. Guys wear hoodies, shirts etc as cover garments.

What you wear as a cover garment really isn't, or at least shouldn't, be a big deal. Just don't show up naked, that would be weird.

Sent from my Infernal Contraption using Tapatalk
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

I've always wanted to get a used Girl Scouts vest with all the patches and go destroy some people wearing that!
    Last edited by Luke; 09-04-2016 at 09:22 AM.
    i used to wannabe

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    I've always wanted to get a used Girl Scouts best with all the patches and go destroy some people wearing that!
    You can get a Juniors vest up to a 2XL, ~$20.
    http://www.girlscoutshop.com/OFFICIA...UT-JUNIOR-VEST
    Last edited by ST911; 09-04-2016 at 09:27 AM.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

I've encountered all sorts of folks shooting IDPA, USPSA, IPSC before there was a USPSA, Steel Challenge, Rimfire Challenge, 3-gun and Sporting Clays. One of the numerous takeaways I've gotten is that there are folks in every sport who are quite vocal in their opinion if how other folks should spend their money and play their sport. Guys and gals who critique clothing, firearms, footwear, range bag, ammo and technique choices.

If you go to a club and shoot a new to you sport and get picked on, don't blame the parent organization, blame the wanker that's actually busting your chops. If you're going to attend a sport with the intention of busting the chops of the long term participants, that makes you the wanker.
    Last edited by Wheeler; 09-04-2016 at 09:35 AM.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

User Tag List