Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sig 229 9mm FTE issues

Quote Originally Posted by ReverendMeat View Post
    I bought an M11-A1 last year from SIG direct. ~900 rounds in it started giving my failures to extract, about five in ~200 rounds with a couple different types of ammo and different magazines. When I called SIG and told them about the problem the dude said "well that's not very many" when I told him how many stoppages I had
    This also happened with my Long extractor 2014 production P229R. In 3000 rounds, the exact same failure occurred 26 times with various 10-round magazines and different factory ammo. Nothing helped - I installed a new extractor/spring, and even bought a complete replacement slide but the malfunctions still happened. The Sig CS rep also gave me the "that's not that many" spiel. I sent the original gun and slide back to Sig, and got it back in less than a week. The gunsmith comment stated that they "updated extractor spring" and "test fired with 30 rounds Winchester 115 grain with no malfunctions". By that point I had given up, sold it, got a Glock and never looked back.

The above noted failures.
    Name:  fOvMMXK.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  23.2 KB
    Last edited by Yute; 09-04-2016 at 03:12 AM.

Yep, that is a familiar sight. I would like to add that my long extractor P226 didn't exhibit the same issues, so this problem seems to be specific to the -1 229s. OP, good luck with talking to sig but unless they replace your slide and barrel your problem won't be fixed. In that event, try a sp2022, they work.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

This killed any interest I had in a legion.

A weapon must always work !

Then we can move on to accuracy, power, how it feels, service life etc....

Some dingleberry saying "that's not very many" malfunctions is not of any help.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    If you like it enough to keep, I'd just spend a fed bucks and get a new extractor and springs and replace them yourself. I have the special tool you need to remove the extractor pin. I'll mail it to ya to use. Just send it back when you're done.
    Thanks Lon, I will probably take you up on that offer. I do really like the gun and will look into buying the replace to spring and extractor and will pm you to get the tool. I appreciate it.
    www.hero911.org
    Hero911 when seconds save lives.

Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    This killed any interest I had in a legion.

A weapon must always work !

Then we can move on to accuracy, power, how it feels, service life etc....

Some dingleberry saying "that's not very many" malfunctions is not of any help.
    I will say the SAO has been pretty flawless so I am very happy with that gun.

The 229 is a pleasure to shoot and very accurate. I agree that the gun needs to be flawless before I would consider carrying it.

If they come out with the 220 Legion I would consider buying that one too. I have come to like the weight of the Sigs and also like the DA/SA trigger, so I'm not giving up yet.
    www.hero911.org
    Hero911 when seconds save lives.

We can argue about the precise priorities but I'd guess:

1) Weak extractor spring - replace it
    2) Bad extractor hook - either not sharp or gunk and crap piled up behind it
    3) Overly tight chamber - more susceptible to sticking when dirty.

I'd disassemble clean to NASA tolerances and examine everything. If it passes visually on a parts inspection, reassemble and work the extractor by hand. Does it bind, is it smooth? Put a fired case in the chamber, drop the slide. Slowly pull the slide back, does the extractor slip off?

If we still aren't there or the extractor isn't smooth, disassemble and visually inspect with a magnifying glass. I'd be looking for any small machining imperfections that might cause the extractor to bind. Also, look at the chamber, are there any obvious imperfections that might allow the brass to flow into during firing and increase extraction resistance?

If you still aren't there... I'd borrow a case gauge. Go through a bunch of ammo and set aside all of the rounds that won't pass a case gauge. Run the known good rounds. If they puke, send the gun the Bruce Grey or sell it to some unsuspecting schmuck. If it runs on the known good rounds but pukes on the oversize, I'd lightly polish the chamber and run the test again.

These kind of intermittent problems are the worse to troubleshoot. Sig makes a lot more good pistols than bad. I'd be really tempted to sell this one and start over.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Thank you John for your input. I think I will heed your advice. Might as well cut my losses while I can and move on. It's only "hardware".

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post

I'd disassemble clean to NASA tolerances and examine everything. If it passes visually on a parts inspection, reassemble and work the extractor by hand. Does it bind, is it smooth? Put a fired case in the chamber, drop the slide. Slowly pull the slide back, does the extractor slip off?

If we still aren't there or the extractor isn't smooth, disassemble and visually inspect with a magnifying glass. I'd be looking for any small machining imperfections that might cause the extractor to bind. Also, look at the chamber, are there any obvious imperfections that might allow the brass to flow into during firing and increase extraction resistance?

If you still aren't there... I'd borrow a case gauge. Go through a bunch of ammo and set aside all of the rounds that won't pass a case gauge. Run the known good rounds. If they puke, send the gun the Bruce Grey or sell it to some unsuspecting schmuck. If it runs on the known good rounds but pukes on the oversize, I'd lightly polish the chamber and run the test again.

These kind of intermittent problems are the worse to troubleshoot. Sig makes a lot more good pistols than bad. I'd be really tempted to sell this one and start over.

I had a 2014 all-stainless P226 with the long extractor, and had 9 failures to extract in the first 200 rounds. SIG wouldn't even take it back until I reached the 200 round mark, but once it did they took it back. It was a bad extractor spring, and once replaced the gun ran great. I ended up selling it off to fund a 2005-era gun since I didn't really like the balance of the all-stainless, but the whole experience soured me on the long extractor. A new extractor/spring might fix the issue, but personally I would go sell it to fund an older legacy slide gun, or if you're really hooked on the Legion, pick up a legacy slide exchange kit.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post

Do this. I suspect you'll remedy your issues with those first three steps. Great post. With the exception of the "sell it to some unsuspecting schmuck" part. Having recently been the victim of just such a purchase, joking or not, THAT suggestion leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Gun is going back to Sig for evaluation.

User Tag List