Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sig 229 9mm FTE issues

Sig 229 9mm FTE issues

I have a Sig 229 9mm Legion that I am having FTE issues. It went back to Sig and they said they were not able to replicate the issue. I have been shooting Freedom 115 (new) and Speer Lawman 124. Today I shot 350 rounds and had 5 FTE- 3 with the Freedom and 2 with the Speer Lawman. Also, I have my magazines marked and it happens with multiple magazines. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
    www.hero911.org
    Hero911 when seconds save lives.

Have you been able to replicate this issue with any other types of ammo, aside from Freedom & Speer?

I haven't tried any other ammo, that is all I have in my possession at the time. I can pick up some others and try it. I did send the gun back to Sig and they couldn't find any issues with it. I believe they used Fiocchi and American Eagle.
    www.hero911.org

Can you please be more specific? By FTE do you mean Failure to Eject or Failure to Extract?
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

Failure to extract. The gun is well lubed with grease on the rails and no modifications to the gun at all.
    www.hero911.org

I can't offer an explanation for the failures but I can relate my own experience.

I bought an M11-A1 last year from SIG direct. ~900 rounds in it started giving my failures to extract, about five in ~200 rounds with a couple different types of ammo and different magazines. When I called SIG and told them about the problem the dude said "well that's not very many" when I told him how many stoppages I had (which is fucking ridiculous). Gun went back to SIG, was returned with a note (which is the source of my signature line) that said they replaced the magazine, extractor and extractor spring and test fired 50 rounds with no issues. Shot a couple hundred more through the pistol, the FTEs persisted. Sent the gun back to SIG again, it came back with a note saying test fired 50 rounds, no issues, with nothing done to the pistol otherwise. Sold it the next day.

My takeaways:
    1) Not an ammo issue
    2) Not a magazine issue
    3) Not an extractor issue
    4) Not user error

Beyond that I still have no idea what was actually wrong with the gun. I've owned and shot more SIG pistols than I can recall off the top of my head and haven't had a failure to extract with any of them but the M11A1. It bums me out that your Legion is doing it too and if you ever find out what the problem was I'd like to hear it.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

Quote Originally Posted by ReverendMeat View Post
    I can't offer an explanation for the failures but I can relate my own experience.

I bought an M11-A1 last year from SIG direct. ~900 rounds in it started giving my failures to extract, about five in ~200 rounds with a couple different types of ammo and different magazines. When I called SIG and told them about the problem the dude said "well that's not very many" when I told him how many stoppages I had (which is fucking ridiculous). Gun went back to SIG, was returned with a note (which is the source of my signature line) that said they replaced the magazine, extractor and extractor spring and test fired 50 rounds with no issues. Shot a couple hundred more through the pistol, the FTEs persisted. Sent the gun back to SIG again, it came back with a note saying test fired 50 rounds, no issues, with nothing done to the pistol otherwise. Sold it the next day.

My takeaways:
    1) Not an ammo issue
    2) Not a magazine issue
    3) Not an extractor issue
    4) Not user error

Beyond that I still have no idea what was actually wrong with the gun. I've owned and shot more SIG pistols than I can recall off the top of my head and haven't had a failure to extract with any of them but the M11A1. It bums me out that your Legion is doing it too and if you ever find out what the problem was I'd like to hear it.
    Thank you for the information, it kind of sounds like I'm experiencing the same thing. I will call Sig next week and see what they say. I really like the 229 Legion and may see if they will replace it. I also have a 226 SAO that runs like a top.

I'll post what I find out.
    www.hero911.org

I'm assuming the new E2 extractor instead of the smaller legacy extractor?
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Yes, it is the larger extractor.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    I'm assuming the new E2 extractor instead of the smaller legacy extractor?

If you like it enough to keep, I'd just spend a fed bucks and get a new extractor and springs and replace them yourself. I have the special tool you need to remove the extractor pin. I'll mail it to ya to use. Just send it back when you're done.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

User Tag List