Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: new celebrity designed Glock sights

Just talked to Mike.
    The sights are identical to factory Glock in width in front and the notch. Mike has messed around with various beads and while they looked good in the low ready, on target he found them particularly hard to see. He also shoots a lot in "suck lighting" indoor ranges that have the same crappy lighting as cops will find inside buildings. The brass is now set up to give maximum feedback (he says the bead is amazingly brightwhen you are actually looking through them). You can see light bars when looking through them and he will have the company doing them post pictures of what they look like looking through them. What Mike emphasized is practical for what he likes and how he carries. Mike is a actually carries all the time guy, and it's usually front appendix with a full size gun. He got tired of getting tore up on skin and clothing, so the sights are contoured to not shred skin and clothing, but also angled to allow him to press check or rack the gun easily with them. They are Nitrided to 70 RC and super hard so they can get dropped and hit and not be easily damaged. Mike is very hard on his gear. His stuff is always jacked up looking, so I understand why this was important. He says he can hit easily to a hundred yards with them, but the key for him is working indoor problems at speed. Mike is sending me a set. I will check to see if I still have any Glock sides in my parts box. What I may do is set up a slide and send it to folks here to try. Or......maybe break down and get a newer gun to try them on.
    Last edited by Dagga Boy; 09-03-2016 at 09:23 PM.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    Just talked to Mike.
    The sights are identical to factory Glock in width in front and the notch. Mike has messed around with various beads and while they looked good in the low ready, on target he found them particularly hard to see. He also shoots a lot in "suck lighting" indoor ranges that have the same crappy lighting as cops will find inside buildings. The brass is now set up to give maximum feedback (he says the bead is amazingly brightwhen you are actually looking through them). You can see light bars when looking through them and he will have the company doing them post pictures of what they look like looking through them. What Mike emphasized is practical for what he likes and how he carries. Mike is a actually carries all the time guy, and it's usually front appendix with a full size gun. He got tired of getting tore up on skin and clothing, so the sights are contoured to not shred skin and clothing, but also angled to allow him to press check or rack the gun easily with them. They are Nitrided to 70 RC and super hard so they can get dropped and hit and not be easily damaged. Mike is very hard on his gear. His stuff is always jacked up looking, so I understand why this was important. He says he can hit easily to a hundred yards with them, but the key for him is working indoor problems at speed. Mike is sending me a set. I will check to see if I still have any Glock sides in my parts box. What I may do is set up a slide and send it to folks here to try. Or......maybe break down and get a newer gun to try them on.
    Why no set screw? I won't run a rear sight I can't bolt down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "There is magic in misery. You need to constantly fail. Always bite off more than you can chew, put yourself in situations where you don't succeed then really analyze why you didn't succeed." - Dean Karnazes www.sbgillinois.com

I don't know, but if the rear sights are cut to solid tolerances I have not found it to be much of an issue either way. The only time I have ever found that it was really needed was on sights improperly cut, or damaged or out of spec dovetails.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.

Cool. I've knocked a few sights over during some training iterations. After that I started using only sights with set screws.

"There is magic in misery. You need to constantly fail. Always bite off more than you can chew, put yourself in situations where you don't succeed then really analyze why you didn't succeed." - Dean Karnazes www.sbgillinois.com

I guess I'm not with the in crowd, but I just ordered a set. Not sold on lack of set screw, but after Nyeti's clarification on size of front sight versus rear, felt more comfortable otherwise. Like the visibility idea and fact there is no tritium to wear out over time. But then, I once fell for a set of XS Big Dots and hated them for accuracy at distance, so we'll see.

I'm interested in hearing what you and Nyeti think of these sights.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sharp View Post
    I'm interested in hearing what you and Nyeti think of these sights.

Knowing Mike pretty well, I am confident they will be good. Sights tend to be very personal to eyes. Mike said he is getting older like many of us and is needing a sight he can see in crappy indoor lighting, and these work.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sharp View Post
    Cool. I've knocked a few sights over during some training iterations. After that I started using only sights with set screws.

As a general rule, I want a rear sight that fits securely without a set screw, but in addition has a beefy set screw that I can Loctite as a belt and suspenders solution. I don't want to use a rear sight that relies on a set screw in lieu of a tight fit.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

From experience mostly on a smaller scale a set screw doesn't add a ton of fix if it's not: going into a detent, going in to something soft, or torquey enough to drive the threaded thing up into a lock with the top surface.

If I was using a set screw on serious gun sights I would put a detent in the slide.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    If I was using a set screw on serious gun sights I would put a detent in the slide.
    Potential issue I see with a detent is that it removes the drift adjustability. At least with the set screw you aren't limited.
    Last edited by CCT125US; 09-04-2016 at 07:39 AM.
    Taking a break from social media.

User Tag List