Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast

Thread: Human Targets

My great grandfather killed 2 guys in a gunfight in 1920 after BOTH of them had shot him ...but they hit him peripherally. He shot them both multiple times in anatomically important places and they got real sick and died on the spot....and using the slide locked empty pistol to beat in the skull of the second guy probably helped a little too.....

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    I suggest you start here.
    Becoming a Civilian Defender - Dr Sherman House

If your into audio, here's an interview with the author on the article.
    Ballistic Radio - Interview with Dr House

thanks, David S. - I've already read some of Dr. House - looking forward to listening.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 11B10 View Post
    Nephrology - I always read and respect your posts. I confess I posted too quickly as an answer to your "new thread" recommendation - second cup of coffee kicking in! Thanks for your advice - I'll be doing some research.
    No worries. Happy to be of whatever service I can.

I'm addressing this to all the great 'posters' here. I realize this is waay off-thread, but... Did I mention PF has been good to me? When I read of the multiple sessions you folks attend and recommend, I know there is no substitute for training and practice, but can you give some advice for a fixed income wannabe like me? Geez, I hate whiners!
    I didn't take it as whining, but that's me.

Your situation may be one where some instructional videos, DVDs may be a viable option as training source.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Angus McFee View Post
    I didn't take it as whining, but that's me.

Your situation may be one where some instructional videos, DVDs may be a viable option as training source.

Angus - yet another poster here I read without fail. Thanks for not thinking I'm whining. I just need training.

Human Targets

I'm addressing this to all the great 'posters' here. I realize this is waay off-thread, but...I'm sure I'm not the only person with this problem. Simply, I do not have the funds to acquire the training I should. It is literally all I can do to afford a bare minimum of range time these days. Reading PF has been a Godsend in that I can at least study and learn from all the great stuff here. But even getting to local training, of which there is a great selection, is beyond my means, recently becoming even more limited as I retired. The desire is there and I do all I can within my reach: dry-firing (which I DO realize will get you killed in 'da streetz'), practicing drawing, some movement - and literally studying everything I can get from sources like PF, Greg Ellifritz, Dave Spaulding. Did I mention PF has been good to me? When I read of the multiple sessions you folks attend and recommend, I know there is no substitute for training and practice, but can you give some advice for a fixed income wannabe like me? Geez, I hate whiners!
    I think we"re both in the same boat. Here are a few random thoughts.

First, p-f.com has been a God-send. I feel like I've gotten back the $25 or whatever it costs to be a supporter of this site many times over. Being able to support a site that provides access to the SMEs as well as all the knowledgeable folks here to help me sort out the BS from worthwhile info is fantastic.

I also dry-practice a lot. It's free, and provides a big benefit in terms of building my grip strength.

Yes, training is expensive. That's why I wrote my thread about why a noob should attend Rangemaster. In one long weekend you will be exposed to a variety of up-to-date trainers and methods. This is awesome value for money.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....nd-Rangemaster

That was my budget for 2016. For 2017, I've been saving for *one* good combative pistol course that I can take in the spring.

As far as online (free) options, I follow Active Self Protection and Greg Ellifritz's and Ms. Tam's blogs on Bookface, as well as YT videos by respected trainers (SouthNarc, Mr. Givens, Mas Ayoob, Chuck Haggard).

(When I first started in 2013, I did watch a bunch of the more, ah, entertaining YT "personalities", but have concluded they don't really have much to offer.)

These days, I spend my budget by following these rules:

1) Is the expenditure going for ammo?
    2) Is the expenditure for training?
    3) If the answers to 1) and 2) are "no", are you *really* sure you need to buy this item?

This seems to slow me down quite a bit.
    Last edited by RJ; 09-13-2016 at 08:03 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    I think we"re both in the same boat. Here are a few random thoughts.

First, p-f.com has been a God-send. I feel like I've gotten back the $25 or whatever it costs to be a supporter of this site many times over. Being able to support a site that provides access to the SMEs as well as all the knowledgeable folks here to help me sort out the BS from worthwhile info is fantastic.

I also dry-practice a lot. It's free, and provides a big benefit in terms of building my grip strength.

Yes, training is expensive. That's why I wrote my thread about why a noob should attend Rangemaster. In one long weekend you will be exposed to a variety of up-to-date trainers and methods. This is awesome value for money.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....nd-Rangemaster

That was my budget for 2016. For 2017, I've been saving for *one* good combative pistol course that I can take in the spring.

As far as online (free) options, I follow Active Self Protection and Greg Ellifritz's and Ms. Tam's blogs on Bookface, as well as YT videos by respected trainers (SouthNarc, Mr. Givens, Mas Ayoob, Chuck Haggard).

(When I first started in 2013, I did watch a bunch of the more, ah, entertaining YT "personalities", but have concluded they don't really have much to offer.)

These days, I spend my budget by following these rules:

1) Is the expenditure going for ammo?
    2) Is the expenditure for training?
    3) If the answers to 1) and 2) are "no", are you *really* sure you need to buy this item?

This seems to slow me down quite a bit.

Rich - thanks for all your input - much appreciated. I've always coveted Rangemaster as it is close enough that I could drive there and I have always been a fan of Tom Givens. I have absoutely devoured (more than once) everything in print by Greg Ellifritz and Mas Ayoob, while thoroughly studying the posts here by Southnarc (would LOVE to take one of his classes), Chuck Haggard - and the list goes on. What an awesome site PF is!

I did spot one thing you said ^^^ that I know I can help you with. I started a thread about the Gripmaster, a hand/finger strengthening device. It is #1 - NOT a gimmick as they have been around for years. #2 - I have observed real changes (and extremely steady sight pictures while dry firing) in my trigger press (with both hands) since I began using mine just a month ago. I have pretty nasty osteo - and, well, please read the post I am referring to. Let me just stress that unless you currently have very low hand strength, you should buy the XX/13 LB. model. Now, this is embarrassing, I've got to get my son to show me how to cut & paste stuff here instead of making you do the work. Just not particularly computer savvy.

Last - your budgetary rules are great as I have said before, I retired this past July and am striving right now to buy what will probably be my last handgun purchase for a long time - the M&P340. I just have to have a good j-frame - nyeti has advised me it is "the one" if you're only able to buy one.

Thanks again - hope you're enjoying YOUR retirement! Are you still on the road? How's the pup?

Last - your budgetary rules are great as I have said before, I retired this past July and am striving right now to buy what will probably be my last handgun purchase for a long time - the M&P340. I just have to have a good j-frame - nyeti has advised me it is "the one" if you're only able to buy one.
    Osteo + J-frame = have you shot one before?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    Osteo + J-frame = have you shot one before?

Thanks for asking.

Yes, I have shot a j-frame, mostly in .38 +p, but am well aware of the joy (LOL) of shooting .357. More background might be in order. I used to powerlift - a form of weightlifting for the insane. I've always been a BMF, shrinking in later years but still have a good set of hands, in spite of the osteo. Recently I discovered a device I posted a thread about - the Gripmaster - that has really helped my grip. Very highly recommended if you know anybody in need - check it out.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Harris View Post
    My great grandfather killed 2 guys in a gunfight in 1920 after BOTH of them had shot him ...but they hit him peripherally. He shot them both multiple times in anatomically important places and they got real sick and died on the spot....and using the slide locked empty pistol to beat in the skull of the second guy probably helped a little too.....

Holy crap! Shades of Audie Murphy!

User Tag List