Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Human Targets

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    That can be the case, though fatigue is subjective. 2 objective signs of critical hemorrhage are skin color (pale=bad) and skin temperature (cool=bad). Check at the extremities first (fingertips, backs of the hands, ankles, feet). Weak or thready pulses (intermittantly palpable) are another sign severe blood loss. Mental status can also be an indicator; anxiety/jitteriness that progresses to confusion & lethargy is classic for hemorrhagic shock.

That said, none of these signs are necessarily reliable and presentation is highly variable. For more, here are a few good resources.
    While I am not a doctor obviously there needs to be something more than just mere statements. I always try to be as educated on these matters and will review the resources you posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    That.

Darryl and I teach that the most common reaction from an adversary who's received a solid hit in a fight is the standard mammalian response of simply running away from the fight. Four footed creatures do it and two footed ones do too. Just remember not to chase them afterwards....let somebody else do that.
    But chasing people is half the fun...
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    While I am not a doctor obviously there needs to be something more than just mere statements.
    What do you mean, exactly? Not sure I understand.

You are exactly who Wayne meant by 'someone else.'

Site Supporter
    While I am not a doctor obviously there needs to be something more than just mere statements. I always try to be as educated on these matters and will review the resources you posted.

Chasing somebody you just shot is full of fail. Your decision making capabilities are not at their best and the specter of shooting somebody and then pursuing them and shooting them again will not play well to the police, prosecutors or judges/juries, especially as a civilian. I agree that chasing bad guys, especially in the dark, is one of the pinnacles of life and I've done it a ton as a street cop. This is one of the times you shouldn't do what your genetic hardwiring wants you to do.
    Last edited by Wayne Dobbs; 09-08-2016 at 08:15 AM.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

What do you mean, exactly? Not sure I understand.
    That them merely saying that they are tired or something of that nature is not enough there needs to be more to it than that....like the observations you posted which were in response to my statements of trauma.

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    You are exactly who Wayne meant by 'someone else.'
    Chasing somebody you just shot is full of fail. Your decision making capabilities are not at their best and the specter of shooting somebody and then pursuing them and shooting them again will not play well to the police, prosecutors or judges/juries, especially as a civilian. I agree that chasing bad guys, especially in the dark, is one of the pinnacles of life and I've done it a ton as a street cop. This is one of the times you shouldn't do what your genetic hardwiring wants you to do.
    You mean all this time I thought I loved chasing criminals but I was genetically predisposed to doing it...
    VDMSR.com
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    That.

Darryl and I teach that the most common reaction from an adversary who's received a solid hit in a fight is the standard mammalian response of simply running away from the fight. Four footed creatures do it and two footed ones do too. Just remember not to chase them afterwards....let somebody else do that.
    Yup, although I generally get a ration of shit when I mention it, there's no bad hits...but there are certainly better hits.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Yup, although I generally get a ration of shit when I mention it, there's no bad hits...but there are certainly better hits.
    I like the "first hit probably wins" type of approach to gunfights.
    VDMSR.com

Site Supporter
    This thread is one of those that one prints out and reads over and over. This "lurker" is very thankful to all who contributed.

Site Supporter
    You mean all this time I thought I loved chasing criminals but I was genetically predisposed to doing it...
    I think it's genetic and I think it's also even more deeply ingrained in those of us who were and are CALLED to do the LE and Mil "job".
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

I like the "first hit probably wins" type of approach to gunfights.
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    My experience has been first solid hit wins. We have seen plenty of peripherals, particularly with handgun bullets that are almost un-noticed. For the ones that notice and are un-phased, they usually require a round in the face or head to put them down. This was the problem with the "Mozambique" as originally taught with two hits and assess. That "assess" time was forever when the bad guy was not phased by the first two hits. This stuff needs to happen in fairly compressed time frames. As I have said before, the brain can be a big help in "fixing" the time in your favor, especially if it has an over learned short cut in place that helps to not move to an emotional state when seeing a failure to stop.

That can be the case, though fatigue is subjective. 2 objective signs of critical hemorrhage are skin color (pale=bad) and skin temperature (cool=bad). Check at the extremities first (fingertips, backs of the hands, ankles, feet). Weak or thready pulses (intermittantly palpable) are another sign severe blood loss. Mental status can also be an indicator; anxiety/jitteriness that progresses to confusion & lethargy is classic for hemorrhagic shock.

That said, none of these signs are necessarily reliable and presentation is highly variable. For more, here are a few good resources.
    Most of the folks I am talking about never see a medical professional other than getting declared by a paramedic, or declared on arrival to the E/R. Essentially, they are very dead and the brain is making arrangements. Fight to the end, or lay down and quietly enjoy the last moments.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

User Tag List