Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Safety equipped pistols will get me kilt in the streetz?

Every time I hear this argument dragged out, all I can think of this - if there is someone who is so poorly trained/stupid/lazy that he will forget to off a safety, then why is that guy being given a firearm that is EASIER to shoot? If he sucks so bad with something simpler than turning the ignition of a car, then giving him a striker fired gun with a sub 6lb trigger is a ND waiting to happen.

And being from a generation whose image of a semi-auto was a 1911, I always find it funny when people trot out this trope. I went through Gunsite 250 in '87, and did a class with Chuck Taylor right before that. I also shot some USPSA/IPSC matches locally around that time. Pretty much everyone carried a 1911 and I cannot recall ever seeing someone forget to off a safety when it came time to fire. So I can't help but be amused at the gnashing and wailing of doods like this guy who dogmatically say it will get ya kilt. Maybe prior generations were just better? That is the only answer if this guy is speaking truth.
    Last edited by Cecil Burch; 09-01-2016 at 11:22 AM.
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

Vending Machine Operator
    I've watched more use of force videos than I can recall, and there are dozens where the officer draws, snaps the safety off, and fires. Recently the Fresno PD officer with the PX4, and that wasn't the cleanest shoot of all time. If you train it, you'll be fine.

Plus, as is aptly pointed out every time this comes up, weren't all 1911s, most metal frame Smiths. and most issued Berettas safety equipped, and haven't they proven themselves tens if not hundreds of thousands of times?

Has failure to properly manipulate a safety killed some folks? I'm sure. Has it killed more folks than poor training on trigger pull or magazine swaps? I doubt it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

I like thumb-activated safeties. I don't like grip safeties. I have seen far too many ND's over many years to think that I am immune from making a mistake. If I can't have a safety I like a hammer I can thumb.

But, as previously said, you have to train and practice with safeties (and hammers).

For Glocks I would like a Gadget, and I confidently expect to be able to purchase mass quantities of them relatively soon, thereby contributing to the massive flood of money that will allow Tom to retire in expansive style.

As for listening to someone like this guy (of whom I've never heard), no thanks. He might be the wonder kid of guns, but personally I will listen to my experience and go with that which with I'm comfortable.

So a safety will get you killed in the streetz if you don't engage /disengage it when appropriate, pretty much like a trigger, brake pedal or a hundred other things.
    /thread

And

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    I like thumb-activated safeties. I don't like grip safeties. I have seen far too many ND's over many years to think that I am immune from making a mistake. If I can't have a safety I like a hammer I can thumb.
    If you put the thumb on the back of the slide when you reholster (like all smart Glock users will be doing Soon™) that grip safety on an XD or whatever will work just dandy. As far as I'm concerned, putting the thumb on the back of the slide when holstering is SOP, since it works with hammers, Gadgets, grip safeties, or (even without any of those things) ensures the slide doesn't get pushed out of battery.
    Last edited by Tamara; 09-01-2016 at 02:43 PM.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    I like thumb-activated safeties. I don't like grip safeties. I have seen far too many ND's over many years to think that I am immune from making a mistake. If I can't have a safety I like a hammer I can thumb..
    My problem with grip safeties is not NDs, but rather the absence of 'bang' when one is intended, because the grip was not exactly right to depress the grip safety fully.

I like 1911 style thumb safeties. At best, it's ergonomical for a good shooting grip and is a safety, at worse, it's a nice thumb rest.

Yawn. *continues to conduct dry practice with Beretta 92G*

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

In the matter of safeties...my finger is my safety. If I don't have my finger on the trigger it doesn't shoot. PERIOD.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperBlue View Post
    In the matter of safeties...my finger is my safety. If I don't have my finger on the trigger it doesn't shoot. PERIOD.
    Lulz.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperBlue View Post
    Things other than your finger can pull the trigger, gear, clothes etc....

User Tag List