Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Safety equipped pistols will get me kilt in the streetz?

I'm not gonna drop my pistol on the ground, nor am I ever gonna stomp on it, no matter what the instructor says or does to his own handgun
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

I have never missed a 1911 thumb safety, even before I started using an extended safety. I do not worry about a 1911 thumb safety getting me killed on the streets.

I did experience failure to fully depress a 1911 grip safety, during rifle-to-pistol transition drills, while attending my employer's patrol rifle certification class. Diagnosis: The mandated duty holster, the Safariland 070, makes it very difficult to obtain a proper firing grip, and with age, and a bout with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, my right hand was becoming skinnier, with less flesh to press against the grip safety. This effectively ended my days of carrying a 1911 while on police patrol. The pistol was a Kimber Classic Custom, which does have a slightly extended grip safety.

I did not abandon the 1911 for personal-time carry. With a grip safety that allows a higher hold, a high-cut front strap/relieved trigger guard, and a holster allowing a proper grip from the beginning of the draw, I need not worry about the grip safety getting me killed on the streets. Actually, a proper carry holster enables me to shoot an original-pattern 1911 reliably, but the modern grip safety and frame mods provide an extra margin of reliability.

Notably, my employer's new standard duty holster, the Safariland 6360, with ALS/SLS, does allow me to obtain a proper firing grip on a 1911, and a recent policy change allows me to again carry a 1911 while in uniform, on duty. I now have a second duty rig assembled for my 1911, with the designated 6360 holster, but clearing the full-length 1911 during the draw is a challenge, with my long arms, short torso, and aging shoulder, so I am still carrying a G17 "primary," with the 1911 being brought along at work in a pouch, available to be deployed for special situations, such as longer-range environments.

My negative experience with a thumb safety occurred with the Browning Hi-Power thumb safety, in the mid-Nineties. A few times, I found myself locking-down my thumb, as if shooting a DA revolver, totally forgetting the thumb safety. This ended my short experiment with the BHP. Perhaps the rounded contours of the BHP, upon contact, cued my synapses to think "revolver," at the outset of the draw? This was with the Mk III safety lever, not the tiny old-school safety. I really liked the BHP, and considered replacing the Mk III safety with an old-school safety, adjusted to be tight, and carrying off-safe, Condition Zero, SAS-style. I thought better of it, and decided to sell the BHP.
    Last edited by Rex G; 10-09-2016 at 11:05 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    I was thinking about it as an example to let newbies try out, so would gravitate to 9mm. But the one I shot the other day was a 40 and it was nice. This is more of a maybe someday urge for me though.

Thanks for the thought.

I had the same thoughts - 9mm/40, but I was in a hurry (nothing new there) and bought the .40. When shooting it, which, BTW, is under 500 rounds, it's hard to believe it's a .40. Not the 'snap' I'M used to, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by MolonLabe416 View Post
    Carrying a pistol with a manual safety won't get you killed; not being proficient with your chosen tool will get you killed.
    Forgetting the video & the drama that goes with some ... The above quote is pretty much spot-on. I don't count carrying a 1911 as a machine gunner in my totals because I had zero idea what I was doing with a pistol.

23 years carrying a 1911A1 or one of two M&P models - all with thumb safeties. Last two & a half years have been with 9mm Glocks. Individually and from a uniformed patrol cop perspective, I strongly prefer an issued, duty pistol with a frame mounted mechanical safety. Provided, of course, the user is actually trained on its use. I'll steal Pat McNamara's quote about mechanical safeties being an "enabler, never a disabler."

Oh, and Ed L - your post was excellent as well sir.

Quote Originally Posted by 11B10 View Post
    I had the same thoughts - 9mm/40, but I was in a hurry (nothing new there) and bought the .40. When shooting it, which, BTW, is under 500 rounds, it's hard to believe it's a .40. Not the 'snap' I'M used to, anyway.
    The one I shot belongs to a buddy that has always been drawn to bargains and has been transitioning away from .40 when he realized he has/had a bunch of ammo. So he bought one and was bringing it out to chew through his stockpile.

Me OTOH, am awaiting the arrival of my 45 Shield, so my mad money has been spent for the moment.

And this is turning into a hijack...

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    And this is turning into a hijack...
    That's quite alright. This thread has already run it's intended course.

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    That's quite alright. This thread has already run it's intended course.
    Well, I am new here and trying to mind my manners... [emoji3]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

User Tag List