Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Safety equipped pistols will get me kilt in the streetz?

Safety equipped pistols will get me kilt in the streetz?

[f30video]395fa794217302661ede1685ceaebd88[/f30video]

So normally when I see Reid's videos it seems like the info is decently squared away. And then I see this video. And then I think to others who are legit on here and other people like Steve Fisher who don't seem to have a problem with carrying a pistol that has a safety. Then I think of the vast majority of rifles that are out there and how they have safeties. Now, I get it, comparing a rifle to a pistol is kinda apples to oranges, but the disengagement of the safety in order to fire isn't THAT different, is it?

What are your thoughts? I've never carried a safety equipped pistol so I'm purely here to learn.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    It has been my observation that there is a wide spectrum of safety fumbling potential between, say, the end user who only draws their safety-on 92F on the clock for semiannual qualifications and someone who gets in good dry-fire reps with a 1911 ever other day.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Why am I supposed to care what this dude has to say?
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Why am I supposed to care what this dude has to say?
    I suppose you don't have to care what THIS particular dude has to say on the subject, but I can pretty much guarantee that he's not the only one who thinks this way. I'm just looking for counterpoints to his perspective. I don't have a dog in this fight, but his stance on the issue just seems "off". Being that I'm inexperienced in this particular realm, I choose to seek knowledge and understanding rather than to simply take his advice at face value.

Early in 2013, with zip for experience in shooting a firearm, I rented several different types of semi-auto pistols at the range.

I distinctly recall more than once raising the gun ready to press the trigger, only to have a troubling delay as nothing happened. After a head smack, I disengaged the safety and squeezed off the round.

I figured that "for me", a simpler approach would work better under stress. So I've ended up with three pistols, all striker fired, no safety.

How far do I have to skip in to get to his opinion? I don't need to have single action explained to me.

(This is, incidentally, why I hate the fact that the Lazyweb has replaced written dumb shit with video dumb shit. I can read or skim at my own pace, but I've got to sit and listen to nattering to get to the meat of the topic.)
    Last edited by Tamara; 09-01-2016 at 07:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    How far do I have to skip in to get to his opinion? I don't need to have single action explained to me.
    Oh, you clicked I just assumed you are like me and have no patience for videos
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Oh, you clicked I just assumed you are like me and have no patience for videos
    I went back and clicked after posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post

(This is, incidentally, why I hate the fact that the Lazyweb has replaced written dumb shit with video dumb shit. I can read or skim at my own pace, but I've got to sit and listen to nattering to get to the meat of the topic.)
    Cliffs: "Yer booger hook is yer safety; my experience with my issued M9 proves that. Oh, and Seals are getting Glocks. So there."

It can get you killed, just like any other pistol you are not proficient with. I have a former coworker who was carrying a Browning HP as an LSP Detective. At one point, the agency had a very liberal policy for plainclothes personnel and off duty. Said coworker failed to make his pistol go off after being shot at from the doorway of a house that he was knocking on the door of.

I was down the street, and was the first backup on the scene. We were part of a pretty large group of folks serving a number of search and arrest warrants that evening. R and his partner were not even looking for the guy who tried to kill him, just looking for a relative. I dodged a couple of bullets during the process also.

So, failing to work the safety of a single action can kill you if you don't know how to work you stuff.

For several years, I carried a lightly custom Colt Combat Commander while working Narcotics and the Criminal Intelligence Unit. During this period, I carried nothing but a 1911. IMO, carrying a gun with a safety means that everything you carry should work the same way. Carrying and training mostly with a point and shoot pistol like a Glock, and occasionally carrying and not training with a pistol with a safety if setting yourself up for failure.

Having said that, if you train enough, it's likely no big deal. Over the years, I have put enough rounds down range and training to the point that I can pick up a SIG or a Glock and run either, without any issues related to decocking. Same principle as using a gun with a safety, the issue is training and learning how to work your gun at the subconscious level, so you can use your brain for fighting.

User Tag List