Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vertical Stringing: What am I doing? How to fix it?

Hammertime

Vertical Stringing: What am I doing? How to fix it?

Here are some photos of targets from 10 yards, three different pistols, 20 rounds, two handed fire, same ammunition. They are in proper orientation as posted below, ignore the notations and printed numbers.

PPQ M2

FNS 9

G19 Gen 4

What I notice is vertical stringing, worst with the Glock, least with the Walther. Groups are roughly twice as wide as they are tall.

I am certain it is me and I am reasonably certain I am doing something as I pull the trigger. The Glock trigger seems to exacerbate things a bit where the Walther seems to smooth it over a bit.

It becomes much more noticeable shooting from the 25 yard line of course. I currently am trying to improve marksmanship to the point where these targets would represent a 25 yard, not a 10 yard grouping for me.

I do dry fire, and generally feel rock solid, no motion of the sights. Is this possibly some sort of recoil anticipation?

I am interested in any tips, drills or tricks to work on this issue. I have tried to "clear my mind and just pull the trigger to the rear", but I really have to "think" about it. It is not default, and usually it takes a few flyers to remind me to calm down and get rounds where I want them.
    Last edited by Doc_Glock; 10-01-2016 at 11:20 AM.

What kind of sights are on these guns?

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    What kind of sights are on these guns?

Okie John
    PPQ: OE plastic

FNS: Sevigney rear, Dawson fiber optic front. 0.150 rear, 0.115 front.

G19: Defoor black. 0.150 rear, 0.115 front

Look less at the target and more at your sights.

Are you looking at the target after each round fired, trying to see where the bullet landed? Stay on your sights until you've shot your string, follow through on the last shot, then assess your target.

I'd say quit pulling the trigger when your sights aren't aligned to where you want to hit.
    i used to wannabe

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    Are you looking at the target after each round fired, trying to see where the bullet landed? Stay on your sights until you've shot your string, follow through on the last shot, then assess your target.
    I don't think I am mainly because at an indoor range and a black bull, I can't really see the impacts without bringing the target back.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    I'd say quit pulling the trigger when your sights aren't aligned to where you want to hit.
    I don't. I think I am pulling things out of alignment while pulling trigger.

Those are slow fire groups?

I'd do some ball and dummy, have somebody else load a mag.
    Last edited by Luke; 10-01-2016 at 05:37 PM.
    i used to wannabe

Hammertime

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    Those are slow fire groups?
    Yes. About one a second.
    Last edited by Doc_Glock; 10-01-2016 at 05:37 PM.

User Tag List