Thread: M16A1- What’s the story?

M16A1- What’s the story?

I picked up a few of these demilled/crushed M16A1 lower receivers from Sarco Inc. a few years ago. I put them away and just ran across them again.

I can’t help but wonder about the service history of this M16. Who carried it and where did it serve? Makes me remember that powerful moment when I was issued my first M16A2 many years ago at Parris Island. Getting that iconic M16 in my hands really drove home the point that my military service was now very real. Being issued that first rifle was a milestone I’ll never forget. I was issued many more variants of M16/M4’s over the years, but that first one is still vivid.

Such a shame to see them destroyed. I know it’s just a chunk of aluminum but it’s hard to ignore the human element that may have been tied to this rifle.

Drill Instructors made my platoon name our M16’s. Laura Jeanne was the name I gave. Anyone else ever name a service rifle?

Attachment 10191

Attachment 10192

I came across an M16A1 in the Al Qaim region of Iraq in mid 2005.

The serial number came back to a rifle that had been given to the Lebanese Army in the early 1980s.

We also had an M2 receiver that was found out in the desert.

The serial number was not on the U.S. database.

The unit armorers checked it out and said it was still within specs. It would have been neat to throw some parts on it and see if it fired or not.
    Last edited by Andy in NH; 08-30-2016 at 10:31 PM.
    Is the boy you were proud of the man you are?

Fimbo iliyo mkononi, ndio iuwayo nyoka!

Site Supporter
    Agree that it is a shame they were destroyed.

What were/are your plans for them?
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    Agree that it is a shame they were destroyed.

What were/are your plans for them?
    No plans really. At one time I thought about cutting the main piece down, smoothing out the edges and making a key chain.
    Last edited by Lyonsgrid; 08-30-2016 at 10:44 PM.

Site Supporter
    Vivian. I thought it was silly at the time. Now, it's one of those vivid memories.

Do you have a pick of the other side of the mag well? I’m curiousif there are any markings.

No names. 4063902 Still remember that stupid serial number. I can't remember my anniversary or wife's birthday though.

My boot camp rifle had an M16A1 that had been converted to A2. I remember that the auto had been ground out and replaced with burst.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Weapons have been, since the dawn of time, some of the most personal and intimate objects in mankind's history. In today's day and age, I feel like the PC climate has reached the level of absurdity that it is a wonder we do not all flip upside down and learn to walk on our hands, because the feet are considered "offensive" to touch someone's floor with.

User Tag List