Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: wetted nitrocellulose (a key component of smokeless powder) reclassified by ATF?

Amazing how simple math demonstrates that DHS's ammo purchasing is pretty much directly in line with its ammo usage. :P

Doesn't negate the fact that without consideration or debate the ATF just added another Poll Tax to the price of certain ammunition components. The larger the company the more they'll be able to absorb the new costs, but I'd expect to see a rise in pricing across the board for new ammo, reman'ed ammo, powder, etc. Obviously some aspects of the industry will see more of an impact than others.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Site Supporter
    I haven't read through the whole thread, so some of this might be repeating things already discussed.

There are very few manufacturers in the U.S. who actually work with nitrocellulose to turn it into smokeless powder for small arms. I only know of two: Radford Arsenal and St. Mark's Powder.

ATF's determination would have primarily affected storage of wetted nitrocellulose because "explosives" are subject to special storage requirements under federal law. This obviously would have raised costs, but it's unclear how much. Transportation is covered by DoT, and their regulation governing Hazmat transport provides for substantially different treatment of wetted nitrocellulose.

As far as I know, ATF is now claiming that the newsletter was a mistake and Radford and SMP will be able to continue operations as usual.
    Last edited by joshs; 08-31-2016 at 07:45 AM. Reason: Autocorrect hates me.

Josh, for gods sake man, we were all about to get off and running with a good panic. Don't ruin our fun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like what josh is saying is that the ATF was doing a test run to see how the American people would react to such laws. Next they will ban bullets and then guns and then NATO troops will storm our houses killing all who refuse to turn in their guns!! Not today ATF!

Molan Lobby!!!!!!
    i used to wannabe

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    I haven't read through the whole thread, so some of this might be repeating things already discussed.

There are very few manufacturers in the U.S. who actually work with nitrocellulose to turn it into smokeless powder for small arms. I only know of two: Radford Arsenal and St. Mark's Powder.

ATF's determination would have primarily affected storage of wetted nitrocellulose because "explosives" are subject to special storage requirements under federal law. This obviously would have raised costs, but it's unclear how much. Transportation is covered by DoT, and their regulation governing Hazmat transport provides for substantially different treatment of wetted nitrocellulose.

As far as I know, ATF is now claiming that the newsletter was a mistake and Radford and SMP will be able to continue operations as usual.
    I'm so glad you participate here.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

Thank you, Josh.
    -C

My blog: The Way of the Multigun

That's good news, Josh.

But while we are here, I noticed that the regulation was to apply to wet (why say "wetted"?) nitrocellulose containing "more than 12.6% nitrogen." I was recently looking at a MSDS for one or another brand of smokeless powder and it was specified to be made from nitrocellulose at 12.6% nitrogen. So the reg would not apply to the nitrocellulose going into the process. I did once read of controlling the degree of nitration in the finished powder by blending high and low N lots of nitrocellulose, so if the regulation stuck, half the supply would be restricted until mixed. If they still do it that way, which I do not know.

I figure that is done internally to the powder mill and doubt they are shipping even "wetted" nitrocellulose around. Wet nitrocellulose of over 13% N - commonly known as guncotton - was once used for demolitions, detonated by a small amount of very sensitive dry guncotton.

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post

Whew, I was going to waste this month's VA blood money check on powder instead of booze
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Whew, I was going to waste this month's VA blood money check on powder instead of booze
    How much you wanna bet that online ammo and powder sales had a significant increase last night?
    Director Of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company

User Tag List