Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Has anyone attended a Bob Mayne (Handgun World) class?

I don't know anything about the instructors in question.

SecondsCount. Have you considered Larry and Stacy Mudgett at Marksmanship Matters in Utah County?

ETA: Additionally, Defense Training Int'l (John Farnam) is scheduled for SLC classes in July and Sept.
    Last edited by David S.; 01-31-2017 at 02:32 PM.
    David S.

Thanks to everyone that has responded thus far. I was not asking the question for myself but for an acquaintance that told me about the class and I had never heard of it.

If I take another class it will probably be from Gabe, Ernest Langdon or Tom Givens.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    Thanks to everyone that has responded thus far. I was not asking the question for myself but for an acquaintance that told me about the class and I had never heard of it.
    Here's the description from the instructor's link.
    This is a 16 hour course designed for the Concealed Carrier or someone slightly more advanced than a beginner but had never had any formal training outside of the CCW course. We start with the basics of handgun safety and marksmanship and quickly progress to some basic dynamic movement and defensive scenarios, like shooting from cover, moving and shooting, advancing and retreating, defending hallways, one handed shooting, shooting around barricades, proper use of cover, shooting steel on the move, the art of making hits quickly out of the holster, shooting a hostage taker and more.
    Sounds like the kind of class for someone who passed their CCW class and wants to learn more. That's a petty optimistic price for that kind of class but w/o knowing more the instructors it might be worth it. Hard to tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Lomshek View Post

Sounds like the kind of class for someone who passed their CCW class and wants to learn more. That's a petty optimistic price for that kind of class but w/o knowing more the instructors it might be worth it. Hard to tell.

Filling this class is going to be tough, especially in Utah. Ken Hackathorn couldn't fill a two day class here at $550 and he has a much bigger following, teaches a far more advanced class, and is well known as a top notch instructor. Three of the six students in the class that I attended came from out of town.

We also have a huge Front Site following here for some reason. Personally, I have not been to Front Site but have been approached a dozen times to sign up for one of their memberships.

Nothing against Mr. Mayne but we have quite a few solid instructors in Utah already who teach this level of class for under $75 per day.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by Lomshek View Post

This is a 16 hour course designed for the Concealed Carrier or someone slightly more advanced than a beginner but had never had any formal training outside of the CCW course. We start with the basics of handgun safety and marksmanship and quickly progress to some basic dynamic movement and defensive scenarios, like shooting from cover, moving and shooting, advancing and retreating, defending hallways, one handed shooting, shooting around barricades, proper use of cover, shooting steel on the move, the art of making hits quickly out of the holster, shooting a hostage taker and more.
    To me, that course description reads like your typical Combative Pistol style class, similar to Tom Givens' Combative Pistol, HiTS' First Responder, Langdon's Tactical Pistol Skills, and a bunch more. I've dubbed those "Fundamental Handgun" on my site, for lack of a better term.

Are they any good? I don't know, never heard of them til this thread.
    Does the OP's friend have better options? I don't know. Not sure where the friend lives.

But, assuming they are good and it fits the student's needs, the pricing seems fair to me, particularly if you get in on the early bird special. I doubt there's many traveling instructors offering classes for that cheap.

Cheers,
    David S.

My original resume I submitted to Suarez International was not a real good one, I agree. And as a reminder, I do not teach for them anymore, but highly recommend their classes and I still take their classes. I'm not a huge fan of resumes, because they can easily be lied about or contain exaggerations. I'm a big believer in the testimonial of students. I think those are more accurate resumes, which is why I started the class review page a few years ago.

I've taken Tom Givens' Combative Pistol class and what we teach in Beyond Concealed Carry is not the same. Slight overlapping, but mostly moving, shooting, CQB, unconventional shooting positions, etc. Not much of that was taught at the particular Givens class I took.

And even though it was earlier suggested that I made a smart ass response, I was simply responding to the original posters question about people who actually attended our classes.

Hope to train with you soon.
    Last edited by HandgunWorld Podcast; 02-12-2017 at 11:09 PM.
    Bob Mayne
    HandgunWorld Podcast
    www.handgunworld.com

User Tag List