Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone attended a Bob Mayne (Handgun World) class?

Has anyone attended a Bob Mayne (Handgun World) class?

If you could give some honest feedback I would appreciate it.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Isn't he an instructor for Suarez?

Quote Originally Posted by 43Under View Post
    Isn't he an instructor for Suarez?
    Yup. Not an impressive resume.

http://www.suarezinternationalstore....bob-mayne.aspx
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    What resume?

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Each to their own, but if I'm going to learn gun fighting (ie defensive pistol) I want to learn from someone who's done gun fighting. While you can parrot and pass on information you've gained in classes, without having the stress of actually taking people at gunpoint and/or being involved in a shooting, I'm not sure what level of understanding you've actually attained. If I just want to learn shooting, then someone who's demonstrated the ability to shoot well and pass that information on to others is also a good choice.

I'll give the guy points for honesty, though, he's up front about who he is and isn't sexing it up.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Each to their own, but if I'm going to learn gun fighting (ie defensive pistol) I want to learn from someone who's done gun fighting. While you can parrot and pass on information you've gained in classes, without having the stress of actually taking people at gunpoint and/or being involved in a shooting, I'm not sure what level of understanding you've actually attained. If I just want to learn shooting, then someone who's demonstrated the ability to shoot well and pass that information on to others is also a good choice.

I'll give the guy points for honesty, though, he's up front about who he is and isn't sexing it up.

In our current world of useless buzzwords who knows what his curriculum really is.

If it's just fundamentals under a watchful eye to help diagnose and improve then yeah, I don't care.

But if it's actual fighting with your gun, I agree that someone with more experience probably has a better perspective.

But since classes are "Derp Dynamic Tactical Defense", the class names don't mean anything anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    If you could give some honest feedback I would appreciate it.
    I believe the original post was asking for feedback from people who have taken the classes that Ben Branam and I teach together. To the best of my knowledge, none of the people who responded to this thread, have been one of our students. However, you can read the comments of students who have actually taken our classes here.

I no longer teach for Suarez International and that resume is an old one.
    My new resume and curriculum is in this class listing.

For the OP, we will be teaching in Utah in May. And for those of you who feel you need to learn from someone who has used a gun in self defense, my co instructor, Ben Branam, has been in 11 gunfights in his career. Hopefully he qualifies?
    Last edited by HandgunWorld Podcast; 01-23-2017 at 02:30 AM.
    Bob Mayne
    HandgunWorld Podcast
    www.handgunworld.com

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HandgunWorld Podcast View Post
    I believe the original post was asking for feedback from people who have taken the classes that Ben Branam and I teach together. To the best of my knowledge, none of the people who responded to this thread, have been one of our students.
    Being a sarcastic ass isn't going to get you far here.

However, you can read the comments of students who have actually taken our classes here.
    Great job on having reviews. Reviews are always a great way for people to get feedback and many times a determining factor for those on the edge.

That's a better resume/bio than the old one, but you've gotta admit, the initial one didn't instill confidence in the reader.

For the OP, we will be teaching in Utah in May. And for those of you who feel you need to learn from someone who has used a gun in self defense, my co instructor, Ben Branam, has been in 11 gunfights in his career. Hopefully he qualifies?
    You know the man behind this forum was never in a gunfight, but he was a hell of an instructor. That's more important.

Welcome to PF! Respectfully, there's not much of a resume posted at the link you provided.
    #RESIST

I believe the original post was asking for feedback from people who have taken the classes that Ben Branam and I teach together. To the best of my knowledge, none of the people who responded to this thread, have been one of our students. However, you can read the comments of students who have actually taken our classes here.

First of all welcome. For the OP I have no experience with these instructors.

I do have a question for the OP. What are you looking for in this particular class?

Before we worry about if an instructor set is worth the money we might want to look if a particular instructor teaches in a style that we are looking for.

Example, it would really suck to pay good money for a class if you are looking to expand your front sight focus ability and paid for someone who turns out to be primarily a point shooting or target focused instructor.

Note: to avoid a total thread drift, I don't care if someone wants to expand their point shooting ability. And that is certainly true if the student is already shooting at a higher level of front sight focus. We might start another thread if the person wants to start with point shooting and move on to front sight focus as there are a few problems that MIGHT occur.
    What you do right before you know you're going to be in a use of force incident, often determines the outcome of that use of force.

User Tag List