Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Great Interview with Todd Hodnett

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar

Great Interview with Todd Hodnett

A lengthy interview in Recoil Magazine. Here's some nuggets, but definitely read the whole thing.

Which calibers do you think we’ll see more of?

TH: The 300 Norma is an amazing caliber. I was a big fan of .338 until I shot a 300 Norma, and now that’s all I shoot for long range. The .260 Remington, I think you’re going to see a huge jump with it coming up in the future. We’re already seeing a lot of players moving in that direction, and a lot of venders making better ammo.

If I could only have two guns in my safe, they would be: a 300 Norma and a .260 LaRue. The .260 would replace all my M4s and all my .308s. It’s a great caliber because it’ll go transonic at 1,000, so it’s a caliber that can do everything an M4 can do all the way up to nearly a 300 Win Mag. It’s ease of shooting, and no recoil makes it great. A lot of the competition world already knows about .260 and 6.5 Creed, so the .260 — I think you’ll really see it coming into its own in the near future.

The 300 Norma is the best long-range caliber you can get into today. I think 300 Norma will take over and rule the long-range, hunting, and military markets for the next decade.

The 300 Win Mag, is a weapon system I was not originally impressed with. But, it’s going to make a resurgence because of the .230 Berger, you get the capability of a .338 Lapua. And, it’s what we call a Walmart gun. You can go to any store in the United States and pick up 300 Win Mag ammo to go shoot pigs at 200 meters for when you don’t want to shoot your good Berger ammo.
    What would you suggest for someone looking to buy his first long-range rifle?

TH: There are two different applications: bolt gun and semi-auto.

For a bolt gun, you have affordable and top of the line. For affordable, the Tikka T3 Tactical. It’s one of the best rifles you’ll lay your hands on. It’s a phenomenal little gun. It’s an entry-level gun, but I’m not for sure it’s not as accurate as some of the more expensive rifles you could buy. For top of the line, a Surgeon Rifle. I own several Surgeons, and love them — never had a problem with them. And, Surgeon is a great company.

For the gas guns, or semi-auto, I wouldn’t buy a gas gun that isn’t a LaRue. LaRue Tactical is by far the best in the marketplace.
    So are you saying you don’t load bipods anymore?

TH: If I’m shooting close, like 300 meters, or movers, I do load my bipods heavy because doing so will not pull me off the target. But, if I’m doing 800-meter head shots, I will load bipods as consistent to when I zeroed, trued, and gathered my information out to those distances. It’s not an always or never when referring to bipods. It just depends.

When I shoot long range, the process for loading my bipods is:

• I pull the weapon system into my shoulder
    • Load the bipods with my shoulder
    • Once my NPA is established and my crosshairs are on the target,
    • I then start loading to the target,
    • And, as I load to the target, as soon as my bipods start to roll,
    • I hold the pressure that I have at that point,
    • And pull the trigger.

What you’re looking for is being consistent with the weapon system.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Much truth...
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Good info. I wonder how he feels about the 6.5 Lapua. Seems like a much better cartridge for precision loading, particularly with the super long range bullets at 140gr plus. The .260 Remington suffers from trying to keep the COAL within spec, while at the same time trying to prevent the bullet ogive from sinking too far into the case mouth during seating.

I really like Todd's approach to things. The truing principle is changing the way a lot of people treat the transonic stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Hauptmann View Post
    Good info. I wonder how he feels about the 6.5 Lapua. Seems like a much better cartridge for precision loading, particularly with the super long range bullets at 140gr plus. The .260 Remington suffers from trying to keep the COAL within spec, while at the same time trying to prevent the bullet ogive from sinking too far into the case mouth during seating.
    They all have their pros and cons. I'm happy with my 6.5x47L but that it because I like the inherent precision. OAL is another good reason to consider it but the cost of brass and the sharp shoulder may be a reason to choose the 260. The 6.5C seems to be gaining ground pretty fast as well and I think has the best of both worlds.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Probably need to read between the lines--I suspect some of the folks ToddH shoots with are moving from .308 to .260 Rem in shorter gas guns shooting only factory ammo, with larger bolt guns being being reserved for whichever magnum (.300 WM, .300 NM, .338 LM) the organization issues.

In an ideal world and free state, I'd likely sell all my other rifles and get a couple of .308 or .260 Rem SR25/AR10 style rifles and a good .300 WM or NM bolt action and call it a day.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Site Supporter
    Is there a specific 6.5/.260 variation that you see taking over things as the new predominant rifle caliber?

It seems that 5.56mm is discussed less. We've seen 6.8 SPC and 6.5 G. But it seems that .260 is somewhat staying around in one variation or another.

God Bless,

Brandon

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post
    Is there a specific 6.5/.260 variation that you see taking over things as the new predominant rifle caliber?

It seems that 5.56mm is discussed less. We've seen 6.8 SPC and 6.5 G. But it seems that .260 is somewhat staying around in one variation or another.
    That was discussed a bit back in the .264 USA thread.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

The "nuggets" seem a little late to the game. And Im not sure I agree with the assessments. I think the big reason for 6.5 Creedmoor success is it has tapped into a good sized market of non reloaders that like precision shooting and they have made match ammo available at tolerable prices. .260 is way behind in that regard and would have a lot of ground to close to catch up. If you do reload, your probably going to go for the 6.5x47 so you can use Lapua brass. Larue, best in the market? I don't share that opinion. I currently own a Larue OBR, SR25 and a GA Precision. As for magnums, I don't think the .338LM will be dethroned anytime soon. People entrenched in ELR are very beholding to Lapua brass.

Site Supporter
    I recently bought a 6.5Creedmoor rather than a 260 because there seems to be a much better of 6.5CM factory loads available for target and hunting. No knock on 260 and I reload but I wanted availability of more choices for factory ammo. Great article - I would love to take a class from him!

I liked the picture of him in front of his Aviat Husky on 35 inch Bushwheels with the MT prop and Airglas cargo pod. We got the original STC for that pod on our aircraft.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List