Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Online Masters Degrees from the American Military University

I haven't met an AMU grad yet that didn't think it was worthwhile....and being military and fed LEO, I know a lot of people who did AMU/APUS.
    Thanks. That helps.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Arbninftry View Post
    Be very careful, you can run into lots of problems down the road. Make sure it is accredited. I have seen companies (Booz Allen Hamilton and SAIC) literally laugh and tell a prospective employee that the so called degree will not be recognized. It was a Liberty University degree and a Pheonix. If you can do online through a real university, do that. Avoid, Pheonix, liberty, Cappella, etc.
    Most federal jobs also will not accept those schools as a degree producing qual for their USAJOBS posting.
    I don't have a dog in this fight, but Liberty is listed as a SACS accredited institution. I don't know why that wouldn't apply to online programs, but there are a lot of things I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    Did he like it?
    He said it was basically a "learn if you want, don't if you don't" type of thing. It's just a lot of busy work that's not so difficult to do, even in the difficult majors.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

The value of the degree also depends on what the diploma says. Penn State has their "world campus" that is their online school. To my knowledge the degree says "Penn State" not "Penn State, Internet School."
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    The value of the degree also depends on what the diploma says. Penn State has their "world campus" that is their online school. To my knowledge the degree says "Penn State" not "Penn State, Internet School."
    Totally depends on what you are going to to do with it.

In LE if you have a masters it doesn't matter what's written on it as long as its accredited and you can prove you did the time.
    VDMSR.com
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

A co-worker did her masters - Homeland Security - through AMU. She speaks highly of that program.

I finished my masters - public admin - early this year at Norwich. They require a one week residency phase on campus to graduate. I found that portion to be beneficial; being able to have actual interaction with the faculty and one's peers "made" the end of the program that much more solid. When I looking at and choosing programs, the residency phase was one of the things that led to the decision for Norwich. How well it is known in governmental circles was significant as well.
    My classmates were competent and solid. Since I did not do a criminal justice concentration I was able to interact with a pretty broad spectrum of people.

I took my diploma in this afternoon for framing. No where on it did it mention on-line.

Quote Originally Posted by Angus McFee View Post
    A co-worker did her masters - Homeland Security - through AMU. She speaks highly of that program.

I finished my masters - public admin - early this year at Norwich. They require a one week residency phase on campus to graduate. I found that portion to be beneficial; being able to have actual interaction with the faculty and one's peers "made" the end of the program that much more solid. When I looking at and choosing programs, the residency phase was one of the things that led to the decision for Norwich. How well it is known in governmental circles was significant as well.
    My classmates were competent and solid. Since I did not do a criminal justice concentration I was able to interact with a pretty broad spectrum of people.

I took my diploma in this afternoon for framing. No where on it did it mention on-line.
    They have a master's of science for CJ which is sweet, same for leadership and info sec.

What's the prices for a master's there?
    VDMSR.com

Site Supporter
    Did a University of Phoenix masters in education. Mix of online and classroom. The education school is accredited by the same board as every other education college is in the U.S. My employer at the time, General Dynamics, paid for it.

I'm about to start another in school counseling - got hired to do a job, turns out the things they want me to do need this degree to do it right, so I'm going to do another mixed online and classroom program. This time, I'm doing Northern Arizona University. There are pure online programs for just about anything, and most major universities have online degree programs. The idea that it's somehow a lesser degree to go online is old thinking that needs to die. There are things I wouldn't try to do just online, like the counseling degree I'm after, but there are several counseling degrees out there that are online with very minimal summer residencies required.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    They have a master's of science for CJ which is sweet, same for leadership and info sec.

Got military? Looks like it only open to former NU grads and military.
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  34.5 KB
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post

About $25,000. There isn't a Master of Science in CJ. There used to be a Masters of Justice Administration, but I believe that's now been rolled into the MPA program as a CJ concentration. I'm in the MPA program there right now and work for Norwich with their on-campus undergrads. I can confirm the diplomas are identical to the once the on campus civilian students receive. On campus undergrads who were in the Corps of Cadets get a different diploma. Text is the same, just a different background. I've had a good experience with it so far. Many of the faculty are the same tenured faculty who teach on campus, not adjuncts. The one adjunct I had so far was excellent and was a very high ranking DA civilian who taught on the side.

User Tag List