Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shield + 2 J's = G17 + 1 J (I hope)

First off, welcome back LSP972. Glad to hear you're doing well.

As others have already said, I'd feel good with a single stack 9mm like a Shield and a J-Frame. I'd consider ditching the second J-Frame and in it's place carry two spare Shield magazines.

LSP972, you suggested carrying a 342 vs. a 442/642 for the extra weight savings. I've owned a 642 for years (actually on my third as I tend to sell them, kick my self for doing so and replace with another) but I've never actually shot a 342. While the weight savings is noticeable, is the felt recoil also very noticeable when going from a 642 to a 342?

I'm only 26 and the thought of carrying 3 guns makes my body ache already. Nooooooooooooooooooope!
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    First off, welcome back LSP972. Glad to hear you're doing well.

As others have already said, I'd feel good with a single stack 9mm like a Shield and a J-Frame. I'd consider ditching the second J-Frame and in it's place carry two spare Shield magazines.

LSP972, you suggested carrying a 342 vs. a 442/642 for the extra weight savings. I've owned a 642 for years (actually on my third as I tend to sell them, kick my self for doing so and replace with another) but I've never actually shot a 342. While the weight savings is noticeable, is the felt recoil also very noticeable when going from a 642 to a 342?
    Thanks. Dunno how long I'm going to last, but I'll do my best to enjoy the time remaining.

I DO carry two extra G43 mags, along with the J frame, on the left side. Yes, the extra mags are good... if the right arm is still working. What if it isn't??? THAT is what Louis told me; and I had SEEN it happen to another trooper once and just didn't make my brain remember it.

Anyway... the J frame is the thing for that, in my opinion. And as we get older- particularly when you get your head cut open and "trimmed"- you lose even more strength/etc. IOW, weight now REALLY matters... both to carry and shoot. And yes, you are 100% correct; the 15 ounce 642 is rather uncomfortable to shoot. The 11 ounce 342 is downright PAINFUL to shoot. So what??? You might even notice it being so painful. But if you win, think you're going to give a shit about THAT???

Not me, brother.

And BTW... today, an old comrade came to the house, grabbed me to go get some lunch. Just to see, I hooked in my old G19, IWB kydex, and OWB kydex with extra G19 magazine. I was wondering how bad that weight would be. It wasn't. Tomorrow the wife has to take me into BR, we gotta see some folks and get some stuff established all morning. I'll strap up with the same gear (I've been having it for years- bought that G19 in 1992 ) and if it doesn't bother me that day, well, hell, that little douche G43 can stay in the safe... for now. The 342 is a major winner, at any angle. Nope, ain't gonna shoot it unless I have to. That may annoy some folks... oh, well.

Hey, sorry if I got too much smart-ass to answer your question. I'm not taking the pain-dope until just before I hit the rack... probably not a good idea when on a forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    I don't wish to derail this thread, but I'm really glad you're back. I hope the recovery and prognosis go as well as they can.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

Interesting read, thx gentlemen. LSP972, I'm happy you are doing well and I pray the prognosis is good and your future is bright.

I've honestly never considered carrying multiple handguns on me, I've always been more of the "well I'm going to this craphole city, I'll carry my G19 and several G17 mags" kind of guy. Being a Californian and a county correctional officer and not a peace officer, I can't purchase a G43 because it's not on the "Ca safe handguns roster" or I'd carry that. Shot a friends and it was a really nice gun with little recoil.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    Thanks. Dunno how long I'm going to last, but I'll do my best to enjoy the time remaining.

The 342 is a major winner, at any angle. Nope, ain't gonna shoot it unless I have to. That may annoy some folks... oh, well.

Hey, sorry if I got too much smart-ass to answer your question. I'm not taking the pain-dope until just before I hit the rack... probably not a good idea when on a forum.

No apology necessary. You answered my question rather well. Thanks.

Attitude is everything in life. Keep yours as positive as possible.

Regards...

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    I don't wish to derail this thread, but I'm really glad you're back. I hope the recovery and prognosis go as well as they can.
    Ditto!

Site Supporter
    Thanks, Tom. Big questions, right now... could be six months, could be five or longer years. Just no way to know for sure. But I will have fun in the meantime; I only thought I didn't give a shit before I probably won't go back to the lab, either. Time to do things I want to do, all the time. Somehow, this big hole in my head now gives me less stuff to care about it.

God bless ya, man - great to have your voice of experience back. I've known a few in your 'situation' and by far, the ones that did the best had the very same attitude you expressed. All cliches apply - especially "one day at a time." I'm praying for you, Sir.

Many thanks. Love your MOS, by the way. I was too, except for a "P" on the end...��

Site Supporter
    Many thanks. Love your MOS, by the way. I was too, except for a "P" on the end...��

Brothers, indeed!

User Tag List