Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shield + 2 J's = G17 + 1 J (I hope)

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    Hubcap,

I'm seven years behind you, just got home yesterday after it took them eleven days to crack open my head and get a tennis ball size tumor out of my brain. That was... interesting... but the bottom deal makes me like you. Lots of less-strength/energy/whatever.

Lots of people think a J frame isn't the "right" type. Bullshit. Some of them have tried and don't like it. Okay, but a lot of them just DON'T know because they haven't tried it, and I am far beyond being a nice guy now. Anyway... I have carried a J frame , with good work, longer than many of these people have been alive... Just like you. But now, we need to get the lightest possible thing. That's the AirLite J, with scandium frame and titanium cylinder. Saves you almost three ounces... At at our ages, that matters.

You like the Shield? I don't. Not too happy with the G43 either, but I like it better than the Shield. Both are probably okay either way, but the stock Shield doesn't fit my hand well.

So now I'm going to carry an M-342 J AirLite in the left pocket, and the G43 in an IWB kydex holster at 3:00; two extended magazines will be in OWB pouches on the left side. Lots of less burrets, little guns... man, getting old sucks, eh?

Hope I'm not too big of an asshole about this stuff. Sorry if I did.

First I'm very glad to hear you're doing well. I wouldn't feel under gunned with that setup at all.

To the OP I'd feel very well armed with your setup, and wouldn't sweat dumping one JFrame if it hurts your back. Age and wisdom will let you see the bad stuff coming.

Hell, I'd be happy if I could get loved ones and off-duty friends to carry a .22lr J Frame ALL THE TIME.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Nyeti"

LSP972 good to see you doing well. Sent thoughts and prayers your way.

Yes, getting old sux badly. I used to be a helluva man. Could take care of myself. No more.

I like the Shield. ok. It fits me ok and I can shoot it well.

Right now I am trying the Shield owb at 3 o'clock and a 442 aiwb at 11 o'clock.

Hubcap - I think there's a time and place to be seriously concerned about capacity, but that's for a fairly narrow set of folks, mostly in active, uniformed LE. In your boat, if you're happy with the Shield, I would opt for two of those, just to be able to carry a pare of spare magazines and feed either pistol, vice having to carry a different type of reload with different ammo.

But, if you like J-frames and are very comfortable with them, I wouldn't be concerned with a Shield an a J-frame as daily carry. A PM9 and a 642 used to be my "summer" load out for off duty when I lived in very hot locales (TX and FL, mostly). I'll be honest enough to admit that I rarely even bothered with a reload for the J-frame - since if I have to reload the snub in a fight, I'd be better off running as fast and far as I can, or going to a blade...

Quote Originally Posted by hubcap View Post
    LSP972 good to see you doing well. Sent thoughts and prayers your way.

Yes, getting old sux badly. I used to be a helluva man. Could take care of myself. No more.

I like the Shield. ok. It fits me ok and I can shoot it well.

Right now I am trying the Shield owb at 3 o'clock and a 442 aiwb at 11 o'clock.
    Hear you. By "eleven o'clock", I assume you are sticking the thing in your front left pocket. That's what I have been doing since a certain Master Guardian suggested, rather nastily, that I begin doing that to be able continue the problem if I got hurt on the RIGHT side. The man took himself out a few years ago, to simply not wither away. Damn deal, he was one of the best instructors who EVER took people like me who thought we already knew it all... and didn't.

The 442 is gonna cause you three more ounces in your pocket than an AirLite; and you'll notice it as the day gets longer. Not criticizing you, just telling you... old guys like us can actually KNOW that, which makes me, aniyway, a bit sad. If you don't want to pay twice what an AirLite cost, I understand. But they sure do make a difference. And your 442 is going to be lighter weight and smaller overall than those other mini-pistols that some folks think THEY are the best. :-)

Anyway... good luck with your body strength. There actually a good thing for me after this head job... I won't live long enough to get REAL old and creaking to start hurting all the time. :-)

You, on the other hand, must deal with it. You'll do fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    I don't wish to derail this thread, but I'm really glad you're back. I hope the recovery and prognosis go as well as they can.
    Thanks, Tom. Big questions, right now... could be six months, could be five or longer years. Just no way to know for sure. But I will have fun in the meantime; I only thought I didn't give a shit before I probably won't go back to the lab, either. Time to do things I want to do, all the time. Somehow, this big hole in my head now gives me less stuff to care about it.

Bless you LSP972 and thank you.
    Wishing you many years before you get "creaky"

Site Supporter
    Due to hip issues I am down to a 42 with a reload, carried in a the pocket. It used to be a 26 with 2 reloads.

2 guns seem sufficient.

God Bless, brother!
    "Backstabbers and window-lickers rise to the top of human organizations like oxygen-rich turds in a champagne fountain. I suspect it's been that way since at least the Bronze Age." _ Me. 2016

I PM'd you LSP972. Sincere best wishes for full recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by EM_ View Post
    First I'm very glad to hear you're doing well. I wouldn't feel under gunned with that setup at all.

To the OP I'd feel very well armed with your setup, and wouldn't sweat dumping one JFrame if it hurts your back. Age and wisdom will let you see the bad stuff coming.

Hell, I'd be happy if I could get loved ones and off-duty friends to carry a .22lr J Frame ALL THE TIME.
    You know, I've actually thought about that. But decided that would be a bit stupid, especially here... because of all the special snowflakes who are being assisted by the government, after the local cops did such a terrible thing, etc., etc.

But you're right... I've had to go smaller/lighter. Losing a lot of your personal strength, etc.; well, that bites. BUT, it didn't take me out all the way, so...

Thanks for the info.

User Tag List