Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shield + 2 J's = G17 + 1 J (I hope)

Shield + 2 J's = G17 + 1 J (I hope)

My edc has been a G17 3 0'clock owb and a J weak side pocket for a long time. 1 extra mag and 1 speed strip.
    I had confidence in this setup.

I am 71 and have spine issues. The G17 has began causing serious pain to my back, hip, and leg. Much to my dismay I have had to quit carrying the G17.

What seems to be working and bearable so far is the Shield at 3 0'clock owb. A J aiwb at 1:30 and a J weakside front pocket. 1 spare mag and 2 speed strips.

Comments, critical or positive, or suggestions?

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Confidence issues aside, there's nothing wrong with your new set up. Personally I'd likely ditch one of the j-frames if it had any effect at all on my spine. Assuming no one is targeting you and you're just concerned with random threats, there's not likely to be any functional difference between the Shield and the G17.

If your Shield is a safety equipped model, I'd recommend carrying it safety off and treating it like a Glock. The location and size of the manual safety isn't particularly economical for use under stress.

Like BBI I'd dump a J frame. I have no idea how your back feels, but I would test the Shield AIWB on right and the J frame opposite.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Thanks for the ideas guys.
    I will try Shield AIWB and J off side front pocket.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    I think no matter what you decide on carrying a gun of any kind is better than carrying no gun at all. A 9mm Shield with a backup J frame is certainly nothing to sneeze at.

Definitely prioritize your comfort and health; I think even if you only carried a J frame or the Shield alone you will be just fine.
    Last edited by Nephrology; 08-28-2016 at 09:16 AM.

Dump the 2nd wheel gun, and carry something else in its place. Light, utility knife, medical kit, spare cell phone or cell phone battery, pepper spray, key fob/access card for a private strip club, etc are all more important than a third handgun.

What sort of belt are you using? A proper belt can make ahuge difference in comfort. If you're using a 5.11, galco, or regular non-gun belt then you will likely benefit from buying a good belt.
    Last edited by TGS; 08-28-2016 at 10:06 AM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Dump the 2nd wheel gun, and carry something else in its place. Light, utility knife, medical kit, spare cell phone or cell phone battery, pepper spray, key fob/access card for a private strip club, etc are all more important than a third handgun.

What sort of belt are you using? A proper belt can make ahuge difference in comfort. If you're using a 5.11, galco, or regular non-gun belt then you will likely benefit from buying a good belt.

My belt is a custom made gunbelt 1.5 horsehide Milt Sparks
    Last edited by Leroy Suggs; 08-28-2016 at 10:26 AM.

Hubcap,

I'm seven years behind you, just got home yesterday after it took them eleven days to crack open my head and get a tennis ball size tumor out of my brain. That was... interesting... but the bottom deal makes me like you. Lots of less-strength/energy/whatever.

Lots of people think a J frame isn't the "right" type. Bullshit. Some of them have tried and don't like it. Okay, but a lot of them just DON'T know because they haven't tried it, and I am far beyond being a nice guy now. Anyway... I have carried a J frame , with good work, longer than many of these people have been alive... Just like you. But now, we need to get the lightest possible thing. That's the AirLite J, with scandium frame and titanium cylinder. Saves you almost three ounces... At at our ages, that matters.

You like the Shield? I don't. Not too happy with the G43 either, but I like it better than the Shield. Both are probably okay either way, but the stock Shield doesn't fit my hand well.

So now I'm going to carry an M-342 J AirLite in the left pocket, and the G43 in an IWB kydex holster at 3:00; two extended magazines will be in OWB pouches on the left side. Lots of less burrets, little guns... man, getting old sucks, eh?

Hope I'm not too big of an asshole about this stuff. Sorry if I did.

Welcome back, LSP972.

Heal well.

I'm 66 and carry a G17. I will carry it till its not bearable any longer. So far I can handle it and two spare magazines everyday all day. Best of luck to you. I hope all heals well.
    “There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Starship Troopers

User Tag List