Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Autoloaders- what to get?

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    I ask this for those times during a late night online gunshop crawl when that little voice* tells me "Ya know, a Century C-93 Limbim-Bustop-Biscuit-Barrel could be the kewl way to go, and you want to be kewl and different (peng!)"

*Sounds like Michael Palin.
    I certainly appreciate the Python Election Day Coverage references.

For what my opinion is worth, while I love the M14 pattern rifle, it is really really hard to beat a quality AR for general (a little bit of everything but big game hunting) use.

A Colt 6920 used to be my default answer, but I now think that there are a few other options out there that exceed the 6920 in delivered capability.

The DD M4 V1 is great: https://danieldefense.com/rifles/dan...arbine-v1.html
    Has a pinned FSB, extended rail for lights and extended grip. The carbine gas system might be a little harder hitting than a middie, but it does work well now that we have over 30 years of improvement to the system, as would the 6920 anyway.
    You will pay about $300 more than a 6920 today, but you're getting a rail, a good BUIS, and a VFG.
    There are other great options (best time so far for the AR platform) as pointed out by others, and there is no need to +1 all of them.

I keep flirting with the idea of getting another AK (I launched mine several years ago), but the prices of a decent one (avoid Century) rival that of a quality AR. The AK platform is capable, but lags behind in ergos and standardized support that I look for in a "service" firearm.

The M14/M1A is an overrated platform. I would much rather go with a FAL, G3, or modern 7.62 AR if going that route.
    Director Of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company

1st thing I thought was shotguns when reading the thread title. You dont usually hear of rifles referred to as auto-loaders. Back on topic, I really like my SGL. Although ALL are good choices. I think it basically comes down to what you'll be able to afford to practice/train with the most. Give or take $$ wise they are all pretty close for the initial investment. Then comes the ammo to feed said choice.

I guess for me it would either be the AR or the AK (ammo being the cheapest, allowing the most practice)
    Last edited by P30shtr; 11-15-2011 at 10:56 PM.

I agree with F2S (unusual, I know...) about the DDM4 option. I think it's one of the best options going for a turnkey setup. The V5 is an option if one is dead-set on midlength system, as well. An AK makes an interesting and fun 2nd or 3rd rifle; but it's harder to make a logical justification for it over an AR unless there are extenuating circumstances.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Well, I am trying to keep things under $1,100- a thousand before I get more mags, ect would be best.
    As for red dots, lights, ect, it will likely be years before I put anything of the sort on the rifle- I'm going to be running irons for a good while, and want a good set.
    Another thing, I really hate recoil- so it's likely any .308 battle rifles types. An M-4 variant will likely be my best bet. DD and Bravo may be kind of tough to find in Central Florida/ Orlando area, but it will be fun to check around.

Site Supporter
    For an out of the box, good-to-go rifle you can't beat Colt, BCM, DD or Noveske. And if you shop around you could get a great deal for any of these brands (especially if you buy the upper/lower seperately). I have seen a few decent reports about Palmetto State Armory's complete Patrol Carbine. The build looks to be solid, however I don't have any first hand knowledge of how it handles and the reports I have seen have been no more than a few thousand rounds through it. If you're looking for a starter rifle, for $1000 (optic included) it looks like a good deal.

If anyone has any more experience with them (good/bad) let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by zml342 View Post
    For an out of the box, good-to-go rifle you can't beat Colt, BCM, DD or Noveske. And if you shop around you could get a great deal for any of these brands (especially if you buy the upper/lower seperately). I have seen a few decent reports about Palmetto State Armory's complete Patrol Carbine. The build looks to be solid, however I don't have any first hand knowledge of how it handles and the reports I have seen have been no more than a few thousand rounds through it. If you're looking for a starter rifle, for $1000 (optic included) it looks like a good deal.

Man if those work that is a smoking deal. Although if it's too good to be true....
    Evil requires the sanction of the victim. - Ayn Rand

I don't own one and don't work for PSA, but do know the guys there fairly well.

There is a good cross over between FN and PSA. I know PSA is using some barrels from FN (hammer forged) and the same vendors for some of their parts. Assembly is in house. Parts are staked correctly from the several I've examined. Several of the local shooters are using the PR with no issues. While I don't think it's a top tier rifle, I'd rate it above Bushmaster/RRA/Stag/DPMS crowd.

I'm liking the looks of this Daniel Defence M-4 I spotted here...

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    I'm liking the looks of this Daniel Defence M-4 I spotted here...
    I got one of those V7s as a first AR about two months ago and I'm very happy with it. I've only had a chance to put about 300 rounds through it but it feels great and has run without a hitch. The float tube is pretty narrow, so it's easy to get a good, firm grip on, though it does get really hot in a hurry. Three mags of ammo in 20 minutes meant I was having trouble comfortably holding the fore-end of the rifle, so you may want to invest in a pair of mechanix gloves in case your hands are baby sensitive as mine seem to be. I have a set of Troy sights on it that are great, especially with the very long sight radius that the MFR gives you. It's a heck of a rifle for this new AR owner and the guys at my shop were eye banging the hell out of it when I picked it up. No complaints from this neophyte owner. (You'd also be lucky and get the thing for $100 less than I did from Rifle Gear, as well. Since it doesn't say that it's coming with those sights installed, ask before ordering so you don't get blue-balled by getting a gun with no sights.)

User Tag List