Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Shooting Glasses / Sun Glasses / Duty Sun Glasses

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Fortunately, /I don't have any duties, so I don't need duty sunglasses. The sunglasses I pick only need to stand up to the rigors of being carried on a palanquin to and from my chauffeured car to and from the range. Since I'm too lazy to change into shooting glasses at the range, they need to be ballistic rated, and since I'm too lazy to order one of my bearers to pick them up if they fall from my head while I'm in the palanquin, they need to not fall off my head. Also, I want the lenses to be mirrored in an icy, cold, heartless blue to match my eyes.

So far, a pair of Wiley-X AirRage sunglasses has managed to hold this job for the last four years without being lost or broken.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay23 View Post
    I guess I will be keeping my gas cans! Thanks for the info.
    Gas Cans are my normal daily wear and I am going to try to get some prescription lens put in a set.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Fortunately, /I don't have any duties, so I don't need duty sunglasses. The sunglasses I pick only need to stand up to the rigors of being carried on a palanquin to and from my chauffeured car to and from the range. Since I'm too lazy to change into shooting glasses at the range, they need to be ballistic rated, and since I'm too lazy to order one of my bearers to pick them up if they fall from my head while I'm in the palanquin, they need to not fall off my head. Also, I want the lenses to be mirrored in an icy, cold, heartless blue to match my eyes.

So far, a pair of Wiley-X AirRage sunglasses has managed to hold this job for the last four years without being lost or broken.
    As a sophisticate of the firearms community, I like how you roll.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

I've been rocking a pair of Under Armour Reliance Tactical eyepro on and off duty for about a year and a half now. They just now finally picked up a scratch on the lens when an errant .223 case slammed 'em from point blank range. Whoopsie doodle.

Plus they look cool, and I'm not wearing Oakleys like everyone else at the job.

https://www.underarmour.com/en-us/ua...ses/pid1245312

Site Supporter
    I have used to be a dyed in the wool Oakley guy with the original M series. They saved me from a serious eye injury due to an ammo double charge at Gunsite in 2007. I have since moved on to the ESS Cross Bow series. The 2x set allows me to keep both a clear and shade sets ready to go without having to swap out lenses. Their ear pieces ( both standard and thin) play well with my hearing protection (OD Green Howard Leights).

Note, as mentioned above, ESS is owned by Oakley. The ESS Cross Bow series is avail at a sig LEO/GOVT/MIL discount and passed ANSI Z87.1 and MIL-PRF-31013 clause 3.5.1.1 unlike some early model Oakleys to include my Original M-Series. Indeed, if it were me and I was buying anew, if it were not on the Army appoved list, I would keep walking unless my mission precluded the look and I guess the above stds would have to be enough. I would avoid anything made in China re my eyepro i.e. the UA stuff described above ( made in China as per the Amazon website)
    https://www.amazon.com/Under-Armour-.../dp/B00C4RN4C8

Army Approved List
    http://www.peosoldier.army.mil/equipment/eyewear/
    Last edited by vcdgrips; 08-29-2016 at 04:09 PM.

Delta Busta Kappa fratboy Hot Sauce's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    The second was my last day on the job. I took a fist loaded crescent wrench with the tines open directly into the left eye. The Oakley glasses were destroyed (Oakley said the force was greater than getting hit with a steel ball at 120 mph to do the damage that was done to the lenses.) and I had significant damage to my orbital area and inside my nose, but my eye is intact with no issues other than losing my binocular version.
    Holy hell.
    Gaming will get you killed in the streets. Dueling will get you killed in the fields.
    -Alexander Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    The AirRage sunglasses fit me better than most of the others I've tried. I currently wear the black pair on duty, and the silver flash ones off duty.

Several years ago, I was wearing a pair of AirRages when a suspect punched me in the side of the head about three times during an arrest. That arm broke at the mount hole for the T-stud lanyard 2-3 years after the incident.

I have a set of ESS glasses with 2-3 lens sets in my range bag, but haven't used them a lot.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

So another niche requirement is that if I put them up on top of my head they stay there...I've considered a neck band but not for duty.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    So another niche requirement is that if I put them up on top of my head they stay there...I've considered a neck band but not for duty.
    Stay there while roughhousing or what?
    Gaming will get you killed in the streets. Dueling will get you killed in the fields.
    -Alexander Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce View Post
    Stay there while roughhousing or what?
    I mean if they do that cool but just normally
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    I mean if they do that cool but just normally
    Sounds like pretty much any flexible frame with a close fit and rubber nose pieces will do, in that case.
    -Alexander Hamilton

User Tag List