Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Shooting Glasses / Sun Glasses / Duty Sun Glasses

I am pretty loyal to Oakley for two reasons. First, long exposure. I first started using them Mountain biking and have used them ever since. Second, Oakley's have literally saved my left eye twice. On both incidents I should have been blind or had severe eye damage at the minimum. The frames I was wearing my last day at work were on display at the Oakley headquarters. Part of the Airlines thread.....my full set of multiple prescription Oakley lenses and frames was stolen out of my gun bag by an American employee. They refused to replace them. I have not pony' up the funds to replace them, but it was close to a $1000 worth of glass. I still wear Oakley's exclusively and just got my exam done so I will likely replace my one set of lenses that delaminated. No matter what brand you choose, you need to be using something with a high level of protection for your eyes, and for the cops, that is a full time thing when working. You should always have big protective eye wear on at all times on the job,
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    I am pretty loyal to Oakley for two reasons. First, long exposure. I first started using them Mountain biking and have used them ever since. Second, Oakley's have literally saved my left eye twice. On both incidents I should have been blind or had severe eye damage at the minimum. The frames I was wearing my last day at work were on display at the Oakley headquarters. Part of the Airlines thread.....my full set of multiple prescription Oakley lenses and frames was stolen out of my gun bag by an American employee. They refused to replace them. I have not pony' up the funds to replace them, but it was close to a $1000 worth of glass. I still wear Oakley's exclusively and just got my exam done so I will likely replace my one set of lenses that delaminated. No matter what brand you choose, you need to be using something with a high level of protection for your eyes, and for the cops, that is a full time thing when working. You should always have big protective eye wear on at all times on the job,
    Can your u elaborate how they saved your eyesight?

Dunno about DB, but Oakley's saved mine when the jacket from a .45 came back off steel and stuck in the lens directly in front of my eye. Knocked the glasses askew and scared the hell out of me but my eyes are fine. Sent me a replacement lens with no problems.

I'm loyal to Oakley for life after that.

Off duty I like Aviators. I have a pair of Randolph's with polarized lenses that are great, but would be far too delicate to wear at work.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Nyeti"

Delta Busta Kappa fratboy Hot Sauce's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OnionsAndDragons View Post
    I might look into these Numa mentioned above as they are available in rx. But they don't seem to be mil spec ballistic rated, which us one are where the mil grade is definitely better than ANSI or other industrial.
    You can try emailing them. Most often you'll get a response from the owner of the company. I think they used to have MIL spec models available, but they also had a ton more models in general on their site. So I don't know if this is just what is in stock, or some other reason that only those 4 models are currently listed.
    Gaming will get you killed in the streets. Dueling will get you killed in the fields.
    -Alexander Hamilton

So a huge +1 for ESS?

I like the company and what they seem to offer...
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

I'd say so.

Also, I'm pretty sure that ESS is a subsidiary of Oakley. Pretty sure they were bought up like 7-8 years ago but I could be wrong. ESS are definitely issued to a lot of troops that Oakleys had been in the past.

The biggest thing for me, and probably ought to be for your purpose VDM, is the mil rated ballistic shield. It really is a high standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay23 View Post
    Can your u elaborate how they saved your eyesight?
    One of my guys accidently loaded a Brenneke slug on a "birdshot" drill on the range. I took that on a direct ricochette off a steel target at seven yards into the top of my Oakley glasses over my left eye. I stayed conscious out of sheer will to not pass out in front of my guys until I got treated by our SWAT Medic. I could have probably used a stitch or two but the medic did a great job of stopping the bleeding. It was pretty bad.
    The second was my last day on the job. I took a fist loaded crescent wrench with the tines open directly into the left eye. The Oakley glasses were destroyed (Oakley said the force was greater than getting hit with a steel ball at 120 mph to do the damage that was done to the lenses.) and I had significant damage to my orbital area and inside my nose, but my eye is intact with no issues other than losing my binocular version.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    One of my guys accidently loaded a Brenneke slug on a "birdshot" drill on the range. I took that on a direct ricochette off a steel target at seven yards into the top of my Oakley glasses over my left eye. I stayed conscious out of sheer will to not pass out in front of my guys until I got treated by our SWAT Medic. I could have probably used a stitch or two but the medic did a great job of stopping the bleeding. It was pretty bad.
    The second was my last day on the job. I took a fist loaded crescent wrench with the tines open directly into the left eye. The Oakley glasses were destroyed (Oakley said the force was greater than getting hit with a steel ball at 120 mph to do the damage that was done to the lenses.) and I had significant damage to my orbital area and inside my nose, but my eye is intact with no issues other than losing my binocular version.
    I guess I will be keeping my gas cans! Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay23 View Post
    I guess I will be keeping my gas cans! Thanks for the info.
    Was he wearing regular sun glasses or those ballistic things?
    i used to wannabe

Quote Originally Posted by OnionsAndDragons View Post
    I'm pretty sure that ESS is a subsidiary of Oakley. Pretty sure they were bought up like 7-8 years ago but I could be wrong. ESS are definitely issued to a lot of troops that Oakleys had been in the past.

Yep. Oakley snatched up ESS in 2006. The year before Oakley themselves were purchased outright by the Italian eyeglass giant Luxottica.
    :-/

User Tag List