Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Shooting Glasses / Sun Glasses / Duty Sun Glasses

Revision is also worth a look. My Hellflys outlasted my Half Jackets, and their customer service is excellent.

I'm on my second pair of Under Armor Rangers (lost the first). They're ANSI rated and polarized, with pretty full coverage. I've snagged them on sales for about $60.

https://www.amazon.com/Under-Armour-.../dp/B00I92BN6G

I think this was discussed before, elsewhere, but what do folks think about using these sort of glasses with a prescription? Do prescription adapters work well with specs like the ESS?
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

I have trouble with contacts so only use rx inserts on shooting glasses.

Previously used Oakley SI but they are used to the point of having delamination.

I picked up some ESS suppressors and have found them as awesome as Tom describes. I don't like the head lanyard thingie as it seems poorly designed and digs into my gourd though.

Otherwise, I'm very happy with the ESS and they seem much more affordable than Oakley. My set cost like 35$ w prime.

I have found I really like the HD copper lens. It is very crisp and better for medium light conditions than a more grey tint, imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Every lens I have purchased to Oakley SI program has delaminated. Oakley says I am doing something wrong to cause it to happen. I was at a class for work and heard several guys complain of the same thing. I switched to ESS and haven't had any problems.

Site Supporter
    I wear bifocals. One limitation imposed by a bifocal prescription is the inability to use wraparound lenses. I found a pair of Ray-Bans that sit close enough to my face so that they are effectively as good as wraparound. The original nonprescription lenses were glass, but the prescription lenses put in by the glasses store are polycarbonate, providing some impact protection.

For those who wear bifocals, there are multiple styles of lenses. For shooting (and for everything else for me) the best ones seem to be the ones with distance on top, reading on the bottom, and a gradual transition in between. That transition region is ideal for front sight focus, at least for me.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by dsa View Post
    Every lens I have purchased to Oakley SI program has delaminated. Oakley says I am doing something wrong to cause it to happen. I was at a class for work and heard several guys complain of the same thing. I switched to ESS and haven't had any problems.
    My sweat has delaminated EVERY single set of Oakley lenses I have owned...to the point I refuse to buy Oakley. Smith has faired better but my sweat still delaminates them. The only brand that hasn't delaminated on my so far has been Revision.

Quote Originally Posted by OnionsAndDragons View Post
    I have trouble with contacts so only use rx inserts on shooting glasses.

Previously used Oakley SI but they are used to the point of having delamination.

I picked up some ESS suppressors and have found them as awesome as Tom describes. I don't like the head lanyard thingie as it seems poorly designed and digs into my gourd though.

Otherwise, I'm very happy with the ESS and they seem much more affordable than Oakley. My set cost like 35$ w prime.

I have found I really like the HD copper lens. It is very crisp and better for medium light conditions than a more grey tint, imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Are you able to get RX inserts on those ESS? If so, what's the guesstimate cost? I have a pair of RX glasses built from the ground up in a Ray Ban frame that cost me ~$300 about 6 years back and they've served me well, but I learned early on that the arms hurt my head if I wasn't wearing gel caps, so I just use gel now.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Delta Busta Kappa fratboy Hot Sauce's Avatar
    Surprised no one has mentioned Numa Optics. I guess they are not that well known. Check out the YouTube videos about these things, the lenses are unbreakable no matter how you bend/twist/step/sit on them. I typically put them in a micro fiber bag so that the lenses don't scratch, and throw them in a bunch of other stuff into backpacks/luggage/range bag/etc. They are that tough and flexible.

I personally have the Numa Flash because their nose piece is fully adjustable and they stay put for the ultimate fit. It also helps that they weigh in at only 20 grams. Now keep in mind they are only available in white or orange, so if you're gonna wear them for duty, you will probably have to spray paint them black (I've krylon'd them before, and it works out fine unless you're super anal).

The other option is to check out their other models which are of the "tactical" variety, which come in more traditional colors. They are more expensive, generally, and most don't come with that highly adjustable nose piece that is my favorite part of what makes them fit so well.
    Gaming will get you killed in the streets. Dueling will get you killed in the fields.
    -Alexander Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by BaiHu View Post
    Are you able to get RX inserts on those ESS? If so, what's the guesstimate cost? I have a pair of RX glasses built from the ground up in a Ray Ban frame that cost me ~$300 about 6 years back and they've served me well, but I learned early on that the arms hurt my head if I wasn't wearing gel caps, so I just use gel now.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    The inserts I use are the glasses within the glasses type you will see pretty much any trooper that needs correction have clipped into their Oakley or ESS eyepro. They come with a nosepiece that replaces the original and let's you clip the carrier between your eyes and the ballistic shield. They cost like $15-20 and any old eye doc can put lenses into them.

I believe that ESS does do some prescription lenses, but I expect they would be rather pricey ala rx injected Oakleys.

I might look into these Numa mentioned above as they are available in rx. But they don't seem to be mil spec ballistic rated, which us one are where the mil grade is definitely better than ANSI or other industrial.

The Suppressor line ESS are truly great under muffs. The only issue I have w them is the head strap attaches with posts through holes at the end of the eyeglass arms. The posts dig into my head if I use the strap. The strap is necessary to keep them on your face without ear pro over them for any real period of time. There is probably a strap with a slip over fitting that would remedy this, just haven't found it yet.
    Last edited by OnionsAndDragons; 08-28-2016 at 12:59 PM.

User Tag List