Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A new AA travel experience

A new AA travel experience

I know there is a thread somewhere on this forum about air travel. However I can't seem to find it in taptalk. I am not sure if this is a PSA or a rant so take what you will.

A little background. I travel about 100k + miles a year for work. Sometimes I take a pistol for an IDPA match or class in conjunction with said travel. I give this info to illustrate that I am pretty seasoned with regs, oddities, and general airline / TSA idiocy.

This trip has been particularly awful and with over a million logged miles with American I may have just had it.

I traveled to Phoenix recently and took a Les Baer for a friend of mine interested in 1911 to use for the week while I was in town. Check in like normal just fine. Arrive to my bag sitting in the middle of Sky Harbor, an airport that sees millions of people a week looking like this:

Mind you not in a controlled area, just hanging out for anyone to grab. This is a new thing from American, as well as six different kinds of stupid.

The big problem came today. Checking back in with the same hard case I always use, same locks, etc. a system I have never had an issue with. Gate agent call supervisor over because he doesn't know what to do. Supervisor instructs him and picks up the case to make sure it is locked. This is a SKB style plastic. Not flimsy, but not bomb proof. He pulls at the case farthest from the locks and hinges and notices some give. Supervisor then proceeded to try and force the case open, later saying the excuse that he needed to make sure the case could not be accesses when locked. It couldn't. He then tried again in the process breaking the plastic around the lock holes.

Now the case is not secure, will not lock, and I can't check it. Now I am faced at missing a flight or surrender the firearm. Luckily I have people here. I was able to get someone to get it from me to be picked up on a later trip, and still make my flight.

Upon further analysis of the interaction I also believe this was a personal vendetta and the inconvenience, as it was called, was intentional. I truly believe this person knew he could ruin my day with no consequence because I invaded his safe space with my death tools. The force required to do this was significant.

Moral of the story. Heavy cases with metal lock areas, and make sure you have plenty time. Remember to opposition has no love for you. /rant PSA.

Sorry for your troubles, J.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

Site Supporter

Weird and disturbing. I also fly extensively all over the country with a pistol, 90% of the time with AA. I've never had anything like that which you described happen to me, but given the incredible variety of procedures I've encountered (no two airports seem to be exactly the same), I don't doubt that such a thing is possible. I am dreading the day that the odds eventually catch up to me.
    Last edited by nalesq; 08-26-2016 at 09:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JDM View Post

Sorry for your troubles, J.
    These are great. I have one case for some image mapping gear that fell off a truck with no damage other than scratches.

Quote Originally Posted by nalesq View Post
    (no two airports seem to be exactly the same)
    No consistency in the same airports either.

Hope you never have issues.

I can't remember where I was flying out of but I had someone try and pry my case apart on the opposite side of the lock and jam their hand into the case. They were unsuccessful and didn't manage to break it so they let us check it and move on. That has been my only bad experience.
    Last edited by Bratch; 08-26-2016 at 10:53 PM.

As someone who has several siblings that recently retired from AA, the place changed with the US Airways merger.

I would reach out to the corporate HQ in Fort Worth, and voice your displeasure. If you obtained names, or dates and times with gate numbers, that also helps a lot.

I had a very significant impact on an ill-tempered gate attendant by doing that. At the very least, they need to pay for the damage they inflicted on your case.

I used to log well over 100K miles a year, and definitely understand your frustration. Good luck, don't give up.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.

Airlines are full of people of all levels of training, morale, professionalism, and political stripe. Add to the fact that AA employees have just endured the merger of two beleaguered, pieced-together airlines and all the schizophrenic policies that it entails. I'd send them a letter and if you recall the agents names include that (they *might* get extra training) but beyond that it is the state of the industry today.
    Last edited by Suvorov; 08-26-2016 at 11:51 PM.

Flying Delta pretty monogamously for the past decade and I've had a negative interaction regarding firearms exactly one time in Portland, OR. I fly damn near every weekend with 6 Glock 17Ts and a 19 and Delta is pretty consistent in how they act.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    Flying Delta pretty monogamously for the past decade and I've had a negative interaction regarding firearms exactly one time in Portland, OR. I fly damn near every weekend with 6 Glock 17Ts and a 19 and Delta is pretty consistent in how they act.
    What happened at PDX?
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

User Tag List