Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A new AA travel experience

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    I wonder what the probable cause is for NYC to record that information, and what are they doing with it?

I have no idea dude but the Port Authority police record that info for every gun that leaves the city. I've yet to have a problem with any of those guys.

Most of these airlines are simply making up rules as they go along, and as Southnarc noted, individual gate agents who do not like guns will often become problem children. I wonder how the airlines would handle agents who have a personal dislike of say "people who wear a hijab" and went out of their way to be rude and hinder the travel of those wearing hijab's.

I always get to the airport really early to ensure no problems. What kills me is when some issue comes up and you are at the gate for over an hour and nobody calls or pages you.....American Airlines.

One thing I've noticed with Delta is that the higher your status is in their loyalty program the less you get fucked with by them on anything. Another reason to fly airline monogamous.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    I have no idea dude but the Port Authority police record that info for every gun that leaves the city. I've yet to have a problem with any of those guys.

One thing I've noticed with Delta is that the higher your status is in their loyalty program the less you get fucked with by them on anything. Another reason to fly airline monogamous.
    I am glad they are not a problem, but I still wonder why they are the only agency in the country doing this, under what authority, and what is the purpose.

The big pis see with me and American is that I was a long term flyer with solid status in their program and still got treated like crap. Now with Southwest, I tolerate the cattle car, and some occasional glitches, but at least get great prices, no b.s. Fees and treated like a human and never an issue with firearms.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    I wonder what the probable cause is for NYC to record that information, and what are they doing with it?

Most of these airlines are simply making up rules as they go along, and as Southnarc noted, individual gate agents who do not like guns will often become problem children. I wonder how the airlines would handle agents who have a personal dislike of say "people who wear a hijab" and went out of their way to be rude and hinder the travel of those wearing hijab's.

I always get to the airport really early to ensure no problems. What kills me is when some issue comes up and you are at the gate for over an hour and nobody calls or pages you.....American Airlines.

The whole Kabuki theater of the TSA is another fun thing. The extensive swabbing dance looking for explosives on my gun cases...that I declared so I could go get specially inspected by TSA is obviously a procedure th out up by an idiot. Don't these dim wits think maybe if someone was smuggling a bomb or explosives on board it would make more sense in a guitar, or a stroller, or simply an anonymous suitcase rather than in a gun case where you know they are going to look at it? The whole thing is a system devoid of an iota of common sense and like many things needs to be seriously revamped.
    Tangent: Read a story a while back about a woman of means at the airport. Going through security she discreetly requested a private review of her carry ons as she was caring expensive jewelry that she (obviously) didn't want to risk in checked-in luggage. Instead of providing her with a private screening, they proceeded to very publicly go through her jewelry in front of everyone.

Also know someone fired from TSA for doing their job per department regs. Later found out his boss was fired later for NOT following department regs.

But the worse is that TSA agents aren't really government employees as the work is farmed out, often with the winning contractor just the same-o outfit with a new name.

Gotta love American governance and capitalism.

Sent from my Sero 7 Pro using Tapatalk

So here is the update for the follow up:

They have escalated this to a higher level as they seem to be taking it seriously. As far at the agent, sounds like they will not address his personal actions stating they think he was within their policy.

I tried to explain the issue about marking the bags that have guns in them and then putting them in public accessible spaces is less than ideal for controlling dangerous items. This fell on deaf ears. Not only deaf ears, but a genuine feeling of not understanding what the problem was, or why I had a problem with it. Very interesting and telling.

On a side note the customer service rep that called me back questioned why I didn't push the issue at the airport. I tried to explain that it was clear the supervisor had a personal investment in this interaction and being the irate guy with a gun in the airport was probably not the best idea. The person was at least empathetic and stated that why would not have handled so well.

We will see what happens, but judging my past experiences with airlines they will do nothing about it, no policy changes, and at best I might get some small compensation.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JFK View Post
    I tried to explain the issue about marking the bags that have guns in them and then putting them in public accessible spaces is less than ideal for controlling dangerous items. This fell on deaf ears. Not only deaf ears, but a genuine feeling of not understanding what the problem was, or why I had a problem with it.
    Maybe let them know that it is a potential violation of federal law:

It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly to deliver or cause to be delivered to any common or contract carrier for transportation or shipment in interstate or foreign commerce, to persons other than licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, or licensed collectors, any package or other container in which there is any firearm or ammunition without written notice to the carrier that such firearm or ammunition is being transported or shipped; except that any passenger who owns or legally possesses a firearm or ammunition being transported aboard any common or contract carrier for movement with the passenger in interstate or foreign commerce may deliver said firearm or ammunition into the custody of the pilot, captain, conductor or operator of such common or contract carrier for the duration of the trip without violating any of the provisions of this chapter. No common or contract carrier shall require or cause any label, tag, or other written notice to be placed on the outside of any package, luggage, or other container that such package, luggage, or other container contains a firearm.

18 U.S.C.A. S 922(e) (emphasis added).

This is useful. Thanks!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin_Jedi View Post

But the worse is that TSA agents aren't really government employees as the work is farmed out, often with the winning contractor just the same-o outfit with a new name.

Sent from my Sero 7 Pro using Tapatalk
    As screwed up as TSA is, TSA screeners are Govenment employees.

Not sure what airport you normally use but there are twenty-ish airports which opted out of having TSA screeners and instead retained contract security / screeners. The existing contract security screeners were required to pass the same background and training requirements as the TSA screeners. Whether those standards were actually met by the contractors is another question.

Due to training and background requirements, it is common for a new government contractor to simply hire and "re-badge" the current vetted employees of the old contractor. This is not unique to TSA contracts.

Quote Originally Posted by JFK View Post
    I tried to explain the issue about marking the bags that have guns in them and then putting them in public accessible spaces is less than ideal for controlling dangerous items. This fell on deaf ears. Not only deaf ears, but a genuine feeling of not understanding what the problem was, or why I had a problem with it. Very interesting and telling.
    Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    Maybe let them know that it is a potential violation of federal law:

It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly to deliver or cause to be delivered to any common or contract carrier for transportation or shipment in interstate or foreign commerce, to persons other than licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, or licensed collectors, any package or other container in which there is any firearm or ammunition without written notice to the carrier that such firearm or ammunition is being transported or shipped; except that any passenger who owns or legally possesses a firearm or ammunition being transported aboard any common or contract carrier for movement with the passenger in interstate or foreign commerce may deliver said firearm or ammunition into the custody of the pilot, captain, conductor or operator of such common or contract carrier for the duration of the trip without violating any of the provisions of this chapter. No common or contract carrier shall require or cause any label, tag, or other written notice to be placed on the outside of any package, luggage, or other container that such package, luggage, or other container contains a firearm.

18 U.S.C.A. S 922(e) (emphasis added).
    The answer I got on that is that as far as AA is concerned, as long as it doesn't actually say "Firearm", they're legal.
    I disagree, and will never fly AA if I can avoid it.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Site Supporter
    As much as I would feel shitty having my gat stolen flying the friendly skies, it is replaceable. .

Kinda how I feel locking it up in the car when I encounter a prohibited place.

Poop occurs.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

And another reason I like Southwest. When you are flying obvious firearms cases like the big pelican stuff, you pick it up from their baggage people with ID and not off the carousel.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

User Tag List