Thread: Computer Monitors

Computer Monitors

I was in Sam's Club today and ran across a smoking deal on a Samsung 27" Curved White monitor I already wanted to buy when I first saw it:

Amazon price (link above) is $279.99 and cheapest I found it online was for around $250 a piece. Sam's Club price was $199 in store. I ended up buying two since I run a dual monitor setup.

They do not come with DVI, only analog, HDMI and DisplayPort if you have it (its a little newer), setup is a breeze and they are fantastic monitors, 1920x1080 which isn't the best but good enough for what I want.

Just a note, if you want to wall mount these you won't be able to as there are no holes for it. Though I am sure people are capable of doing it by taking the back cover off, the setup itself doesn't really call for it if you have a desktop setup.

Just a few other considerations:

If larger is your thing make sure the resolution is going to match its size. Samsung makes a 32" version of this monitor which is a good bit more and it has the same resolution.

In contrast if you are looking for a cutting edge new monitor the Samsung S34E790C 34-Inch Curved has a resolution of 3440 x 1440 but is nearly $700.

Anyway, I believe the price drops are due to the upcoming CES in 2017 and the new shift towards IPS and 4k styled curved monitors which will phase out all flat type displays very soon.

On the other side if you want a flat display I'd wait a bit because they will probably be dropping drastically in price due to the demand for the aesthetics of the curved displays/TV's.

I will probably be picking up a flat Dell 27" display sooner than later, running it vertically for web surfing.

edit: just to point out Sam's Club, like BJ's club and Costco have their own specially issued serial numbers for "exclusive" club pricing, this is so that when you try to get them to change the price for a "price match" (best buy is famous for this) they won't because its a different serial/model number - though its the same exact monitor with a very small difference other than the sticker.
    Last edited by voodoo_man; 08-28-2016 at 07:34 PM.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    That SC deal is pretty sweet. I've been using a Dell UltraSharp U2715H I picked up for $400 on Amazon last December and I really like it.

I like the idea behind the curved monitors, but I don't know if I'd like them in practice. Do any of you guys do CAD on a curved monitor? If so, how to you like it?
    Dell monitors are fantastic. They really set the bar and Samsung has done a great job of pushing with certain things.

While I do not do CAD anything, I do photo stuff and the curved monitor doesn't give any type of "curved" image appearance. It seems fairly flat to me.

One thing I wish to see on a monitor soon is a "cast" ability built in. That would be awesome.
    VDMSR.com
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

What's that?
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...cast.app&hl=en

edit; basically its the ability to swipe up on any page, video, music, etc and have it directly to the monitor/tv/device you are closest to and/or connected to.

I do it with my Nexus 5X phone to my Sony TV for my kid all the time.
    Last edited by voodoo_man; 08-28-2016 at 07:57 PM.
    VDMSR.com

That SC deal is pretty sweet. I've been using a Dell UltraSharp U2715H I picked up for $400 on Amazon last December and I really like it.

I like the idea behind the curved monitors, but I don't know if I'd like them in practice. Do any of you guys do CAD on a curved monitor? If so, how to you like it?
    I have the predecessor to that, or that one, can't read the back at the moment. Either way, 27" Dell IPS that was rated as the best of its size for photo work. Love it.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Dell monitors are fantastic. They really set the bar and Samsung has done a great job of pushing with certain things.

While I do not do CAD anything, I do photo stuff and the curved monitor doesn't give any type of "curved" image appearance. It seems fairly flat to me.

One thing I wish to see on a monitor soon is a "cast" ability built in. That would be awesome.
    Samsung certainly pushes things but they're fuck ass expensive relative. The curve does seem cool. Brother in law has the 34" wide curved dealio. It's very impressive.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Gata pay to play...

BTW, color looks pretty good on this...
    VDMSR.com

User Tag List