Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Suppressors and supersonic ammo

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Semi-auto pistol caliber carbines are an abortion that don't serve much purpose.

Put a suppressor on your .300 BLK, use standard supersonic 110 gr Barnes TTSX as your defensive load, keep a set of active hearing protectors (Sordin, Peltor, etc...) next to your rifle. That should work fine...
    For years now my HD weapon has been one of my 1911s along with electronic muffs. Doc you are right == that is how I have to view it. The carbine won't necessarily replace my pistol but rather add to it to extend my capabilities. I will be zeroing the AR with the suppressor soon.

And thanks for the tip on the Barnes TTSX.
    Last edited by Robinson; 08-29-2016 at 08:36 PM.

Semi-auto pistol caliber carbines are an abortion that don't serve much purpose.
    Doc that wasn't always the case was it? I recall a little over 10 years ago a discussion by some fed type instructors about how their 10mm MP-5's did better punching through vehicles than their duty 5.56. This was before they adopted the TBBC ammo. I even worked with some agents who kept a mag of green tip nearby "just in case" they needed to get better penetration in a fight.

Besides it makes my soul hurt to see an MP-5 (or even Beretta's open bolt M-12) called an abortion.

That is why I very carefully wrote "semi-auto"; burst or full-auto pistol caliber SMG's/PDW's can have some utility when used with appropriate ammunition and tactics--the MP5/10 with bonded 10 mm ammo is quite nice (especially compared to light, fragile varmint style .223 ammo), as SLG can likely attest since he has used an MP5/10 before...
    Last edited by DocGKR; 08-29-2016 at 10:30 PM.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

That is why I very carefully wrote "semi-auto"; burst or full-auto pistol caliber SMG's/PDW's can have some utility when used with appropriate ammunition and tactics--the MP5/10 with bonded 10 mm ammo is quite nice (especially compared to light, fragile varmint style .223 ammo), as SLG can likely attest since he has used an MP5/10 before...
    I've shot one before that was their semi/2rd burst. I could get better controlled pairs on semi. Maybe I just needed more time with it. What was their 5.56 duty ammo a decade ago? A 60gr partition is what sticks in my brain but I can't recall for sure.

Site Supporter
    Subsonic ammo has a VERY narrow military niche and little reason for CONUS LE use. There is NO reason to be using subsonic ammo in a rifle intended for defensive use in CONUS--you just neuter the rifle and make it into a shoulder fired handgun. Might want to listen to the comments on subsonic rifle ammo here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLFEAtwNj0I
    So I finally listened to the rest of the show -- really good stuff. I have 120 rounds of the TTSX incoming to test in my rifle along with some 110gr VMAX I want to try out for practice ammo. If the test goes well I will buy a more serious quantity.

I use subsonic 200+grain bullets in my "go to" rifle.

Understanding your equipment and it's capabilities and liabilities goes a long way in helping make the right decision for individual needs and desires. Signature reduction an essential part of my overall weapon employment strategy. What I give up in exchange for that reduction is acceptable to me. The one aspect of terminal ballistic study that cannot be replicated in the lab is human response. Since it cannot be accurately predicted with any degree of reliability, we do the best we can, but as so often is the case............we spend a little too much time overthinking hardware.

Site Supporter
    That post made me laugh a little, but not because I think the comments themselves are funny. Two very different perspectives on the topic from two individuals I have a lot of respect for mean I will probably overthink the question even more than I was.

For now I will probably continue down the road with supersonics, but Sean M I wouldn't mind hearing more about your thoughts on the effectiveness of the ammo type you choose for your "go to" rifle should you care to elaborate.

Sean - IIRC you use your 300 for hunting. Do you use the subs for that role?

I know a very experienced hunter who swears Gorilla subs are murder on Texas whitetail and hogs. I don't have much faith in his overall choices in ammo but have a huge amount of faith in his ability to put bullets exactly where he wants to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sean M is capable of placing his projectiles on target to a greater degree than many typical shooters. As he noted, he also fully understands the tradeoffs. Not to mention that I suspect Sean would be successful against most any adversary even if he only had a .22 LR...
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Site Supporter
    Sean M is capable of placing his projectiles on target to a greater degree than many typical shooters. As he noted, he also fully understands the tradeoffs. Not to mention that I suspect Sean would be successful against most any adversary even if he only had a .22 LR...
    Well noted, and certainly no argument from me.

User Tag List