Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Should meat hunters stop using lead ammunition?

Barnes bullets perform great on game.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Lead only really harms you if it is inhaled, or enters a mucous membrane(although, there is some research that indicates that it can be pass into the body through sweat pores). That being said, once it is in your body, it takes decades for your body to get rid of it and if you are constantly being exposed.....then your body cannot get rid of it fast enough to offset the current exposures. The side effects of too much lead in your system are too numerous for me to mention, and an internet search will keep you busy with it for hours. Lead exposure is like of like having high blood pressure........you are fine and feel great for years until one day, you are totally not okay. Inhaled or digested(paint chips) lead generally shows up fast particularly in children. I have seen first hand what lead poisoning can do to a child, and what they end up becoming as an adult. Adult exposure is not as severe, but it does cause serious brain and internal organ problems.

My though is, it never hurts to too careful with the health of you and your loved ones. If copper bullets will help, I would pay the extra cost. There are some Bismuth alloys which are slowly becoming better at making nice bullets. Rotometals now sells some Bismuth, lead free alloys which are becoming decent casting bullets.

That darn migrating lead. Sarc off/
    What you do right before you know you're going to be in a use of force incident, often determines the outcome of that use of force.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    The lead issue is complete bullshit. It's gun control in a costume.
    This. Wait for them to ban lead ammo on public lands. It's coming.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    This. Wait for them to ban lead ammo on public lands. It's coming.
    It came

https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/hunting/nonlead-ammunition

I sure don't want a state or Federal ban on lead ammo for hunting (beyond the existing waterfowl law), and even more so oppose a restriction for target shooting. I am not a scientist, and while my gut tells me lead is unlikely to be a problem for harvesting animals, I don't have 100 percent certainty on this.

We put a lot of effort into harvesting high quality game meat. Where we shoot the animal, how we field dress the animal, how we initially store the meat, how we transport it, how it is processed and how it is wrapped. After we have it processed, we are equally careful about how we store the meat and how we prepare the meat.

I have lost track of how much stuff we have shot with a Partition over the years. Regardless of the lead issue, we really like Barnes bullets and have found them to perform exceptionally well in the hunting field. They are also very tough bullets, suitable for penetrating a bear's skull, even with a caliber smaller than ideal for bears. They shoot very accurately in our hunting rifles. They don't cost appreciably more than other alternative hunting loads we would use.

Considering all of this, my wife and I primarily use Barnes or equivalent bullets for hunting. Not like we wouldn't go hunting with a Partition anymore, but our preference is the Barnes.
    Last edited by GJM; 08-25-2016 at 11:48 AM. Reason: proof read before sending

Been hunting and eating game meat shot with lead bullets for almost four decades now.... not dead yet.... my dad made it 75 years, uncle 80 years, granddad 89 years..... you are at more risk eating all the processed chemical crap in a grocery store.

I'm not changing the way I do things because a bunch of liberals, vegans and green idiots who are cool with wiping out entire sections of pristine wild habitat for housing want me to "protect environment" aka accept their agenda so they can control ammo and firearms.

Site Supporter
    The right way to answer this question is to monitor lead levels in people who eat at least X amount of meat from animals killed by lead bullets vs people who eat meat from animals killed by normal commercial processing methods. Then, are lead levels elevated among people who eat meat from animals killed with lead bullets relative to the "normal" group? If so, is the lead level higher than what is considered the maximum safe level.

I really don't think it's a danger.

EDIT: Some studies on this have been done in dogs.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27457446

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by pangloss; 08-25-2016 at 12:23 PM.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    The lead issue is complete bullshit. It's gun control in a costume.
    Exactly!!!

One has only to look at Kalifornia to see how this has been used to make it harder to be part of the gun culture in the Golden State. The price of the ammo is outrageous for many (I've seen folks go through $100 of ammo just to sight in their rifles) and is only going to get worse once the new ammo laws kick in.

The amount of lead transferred to the meat by the bullet is far less than that inhaled by shooting the gun or a simple walk down a city street.
    Last edited by Suvorov; 08-25-2016 at 12:58 PM.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    I think he meant "...in American-Occupied America".
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

User Tag List