Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: Should meat hunters stop using lead ammunition?

I didn't have time to go try to find all the studies (not properly cited in the Sci American article...). But I thought this was interesting:

Researchers at Washington State University and Boise State University fed lead-tainted venison to four pigs and lead-free venison to a separate control group of pigs. The pigs that ate the venison containing lead fragments reached a lead level of 3.8 micrograms per deciliter after only two days—more than three times higher than the highest level in the control group of pigs...
    Unfortunately, I don't know the specifics of the experiments and if lead-tainted venison was at significantly higher levels than those found in hunted meat or not. If those lead-taints (phrasing) were higher than hunted meat, then it doesn't seem like a big deal, but if they were at or lower then that's quite an interesting find. Alas, without a proper citation it's difficult to go find the publication in question (aka, cite your sources Sci American, I hate you so much as a magazine).

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Right. So we've established that you choose not to use lead-free ammunition for shooting or hunting due to economy.

So question, if Barnes bullets were the same price as Hornady SSTs would you buy and load those instead?

An excellent question, though those with higher levels that got game from friends would indicate they were likely not present when the shooting occurred. In which case it would likely be due to lead exposure from the game.
    You are introducing a false dichotomy into the discussion because copper prices will always be significantly higher then lead prices on the world metal market just as gold will always command a higher price than silver. Until we find a cost effective method of mining asteroids this will never change.

The other problem with the false dichotomy is the unintended consequences would affect not just what type of bullets I am shooting for my .308 hunting rifle it would affect my 22 LR, 22 Magnum, 38 Special, .357 Magnum, .380 ACP, 45ACP, 5.56, 6.5 Creedmore, 7mm Rem Mag, 50 BMG, 12 Guage etc etc. How often would you shoot your Ruger 10/22 or 22 LR pistol if you were required by law to throw 40 grains of copper down the barrel every time you pulled the trigger?

To answer your question it depends upon caliber and purpose. Copper is less malleable than lead so traditional cup and core and bonded bullets will always have a lower velocity threshold for bullet expansion. A lower velocity threshold for expansion equates to increased range for ethical hunting. TSX bullets also tend to shed petals when fired through auto glass. Copper bullets are also less accurate than many cup and core bullets. Right now if I had to choose a single bullet for use in a 300 Blackout it would be the 110 grain Barnes 30834 TAC-TX bullet. For almost every other caliber I would choose a traditional or bonded bullet.
    Last edited by Nightvisionary; 02-01-2019 at 02:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightvisionary View Post
    To answer your question it depends upon caliber and purpose. Copper is less malleable than lead so traditional cup and core and bonded bullets will always have a lower velocity threshold for bullet expansion. A lower velocity threshold for expansion equates to increased range for ethical hunting. TSX bullets also tend to shed petals when fired through auto glass. Copper bullets are also less accurate than many cup and core bullets. Right now if I had to choose a single bullet for use in a 300 Blackout it would be the 110 grain Barnes 30834 TAC-TX bullet. For almost every other caliber I would choose a traditional or bonded bullet.
    Right, so for you it's a performance issue with all copper projectiles + cost. If cost came down, you'd still want to see performance at or near the same level of jacketed bullets you already are accustomed to. That's fine, you're not ready to give up your lead-based projectiles from a performance perspective.

Others of us feel differently, about performance, costs, and other issues associated with lead-based projectiles (e.g., additional exposure to lead in higher levels). To the point where we feel it necessary to take additional precautions (i.e., not using lead-based ammo when hunting).

None of us are wrong nor right, we simply have different opinions about this topic and can agree to disagree while understanding each other's positions.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Right, so for you it's a performance issue with all copper projectiles + cost. If cost came down, you'd still want to see performance at or near the same level of jacketed bullets you already are accustomed to. That's fine, you're not ready to give up your lead-based projectiles from a performance perspective.

Others of us feel differently, about performance, costs, and other issues associated with lead-based projectiles (e.g., additional exposure to lead in higher levels). To the point where we feel it necessary to take additional precautions (i.e., not using lead-based ammo when hunting).

None of us are wrong nor right, we simply have different opinions about this topic and can agree to disagree while understanding each other's positions.
    Barnes VorTx tsx ammo is the same price as some of the cheapest bonded bullets, for loaded ammo.

User Tag List