Thread: Mossberg 500 magazine spring question

Site Supporter

Mossberg 500 magazine spring question

My issue shotgun is an almost thirty year old Mossberg 500. When administratively unloading the magazine tube, the last round comes out with much less force than the previous four. Not having a Mossberg armorer in house, how long should the spring be? I have had no issues during quals and individual practice. Thoughts?

No idea how long the spring is but I know there are two different ones, one for the 5 round tube and one for the 7round tube. If your spring is at all suspect you should just replace it.

I wasn't paying and didn't realize this area was for asking certified armourers, which I am not one. My apologies and I'll try to pay more attention and stay in my lane in the future.
    Last edited by Bigghoss; 08-24-2016 at 06:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by deputyG23 View Post
    My issue shotgun is an almost thirty year old Mossberg 500. When administratively unloading the magazine tube, the last round comes out with much less force than the previous four. Not having a Mossberg armorer in house, how long should the spring be? I have had no issues during quals and individual practice. Thoughts?
    They issued a shotgun with no armorer support? WTF? I would buy a new one and replace the current one, just in case.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

The springs on the Mossbergs are a very weak point on the guns. In my observation they have been sourcing the new springs from a third world paper clip factory.

If the spring is weak then shit can it. I had to do that to almost 200 guns at my old job when I was the armorer, between the springs being weak and/or rusting from nothing more than exposure to air.

Wolff is a very good source to buy from;
    https://www.gunsprings.com/MOSSBERG/cID2/mID103/dID183

While you are at it, install a Vang Comp stainless magazine follower. Seriously. Do it.
    https://vangcomp.com/shop/vcs-stainl...zine-follower/

The Vang magazine springs are also very good kit.

Oh, and you should make your bosses send you here for armorer training if they want to have a modern, viable, court defensible firearms program;
    https://www.academi.com/training-cou...morer/overview
    Last edited by Chuck Haggard; 08-24-2016 at 06:44 AM.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Mossberg advice:

Pass on the heatshield.
    Replace OEM mag springs at regular intervals. Use XP or a high quality spring if possible.
    Replace the follower with a high visibility unit. I use the SGT unit, others are fine too.
    Remove, degrease, and reinstall screws with loctite. Ejector, stock, sling studs, sights. Don't overtorque. Make witness marks to detect unintended movement.
    Periodically check extractors for chipping.

I've had good luck with guns maintained in this way, including abused pool guns.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    They issued a shotgun with no armorer support? WTF? I would buy a new one and replace the current one, just in case.
    If you only knew.... I cannot publicly say all the frustration I have with our "firearms program".
    This Mossberg is the only one we have. It was bought by a previous Sheriff in the late '80s. The rest of the guns are twenty year old 870 20" police models. There are only about twelve issued to civil enforcement and prisoner transport and about ten at the academy that are beat half to death. The rest are in the armory and some are unused since they were bought in '96. I am embarrassed to say that we have no currently certified armorer for those as well. It has been brought up on numerous occasions but to no avail at this point. We have three men that went to Ilion some years back, but two are retired and the remaining member is no longer certified.
    I will make arrangements to either get the Mossy up to snuff or swap it for an 870 and re-qualify with it.

At some point, Mossberg started putting thread locker on their magazine tubes. I suspect a 30 year old gun won't have it, but if you find that the mag tube won't budge, I've had good luck heating them up with a hair dryer to get thread locker to break loose.

User Tag List