Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Glock 17M slide lock

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    Ummmm, that's the slide LOCK bouncing, not the slide STOP. And WTF is wrong with that gun? The extractor is jacked up badly....or the ejector isn't in the gun.
    According to the description I saw on another site the ejector was removed. Not sure if it was to protect the camera or what...

Ummmm, that's the slide LOCK bouncing, not the slide STOP. And WTF is wrong with that gun? The extractor is jacked up badly....or the ejector isn't in the gun.
    Yea, yea, I know what the part is called but my brain and fingers weren't communicating.
    No idea what's wrong with the ejector.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Interesting vid. I was not aware that the slide lock bottomed out so many times during each firing cycle. Just a single coil between Glock-like reliability and launching the slide. Makes one think carefully about support thumb placement.

Hmmm... Gives me a greater appreciation for other manufacturers that use a take down lever instead...

Interesting just how much the frame flexes in the locking block area. If we'd had footage like this available back in the late 80's I might not have been so quick to jump on the "plastic gun" bandwagon. Haha

I doubt the frame flexes the same when fired while held in hand(s), as it does when held in a Ransom rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Creek View Post
    I doubt the frame flexes the same when fired while held in hand(s), as it does when held in a Ransom rest.
    There are several slow motion videos of the slide lock doing the exact same thing when being handheld, except it's harder to see due to the inconsistent positioning of the gun to camera.
    YouTube search for "slow motion Glock" and you can see the same thing happening in several other videos. I just chose this one because it had the best view.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Site Supporter
    There's a slow motion video from the history channel with the gunny shooting a glock 18 and you can see the slide lock bouncing every time the pistol cycles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by serialsolver View Post
    There's a slow motion video from the history channel with the gunny shooting a glock 18 and you can see the slide lock bouncing every time the pistol cycles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    To paraphrase Galileo: yet, it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    To paraphrase Galileo: yet, it works.
    Yes, it does. But I still do not like what I saw.

-------------------------------------
    "One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep."

I wonder why they changed the slide lock from a long tested leaf spring to that coil unit? I haven't tried to remove the new slide lock from the coil spring, but I bet it's a bit of a challenge.

Another thing I thought was common knowledge/myth in the Glock community, but maybe I'm misremembering or imagining: allegedly, the slide lock leaf spring has a tendency to break unexpectedly in a way that was very difficult to remove. Namely, it can break off such that the leg stuck in the frame has little exposed surface to grab onto and basically becomes permanently entombed in the frame. This is generally considered a "send back to Glock" type failure, and is really a ball buster of the highest order. I think this may have also been a thing that could happen upon trying to remove/reinstall that spring, or maybe doing it often increases the chances.

The impression I've gotten is that the slide lock spring is a finicky part that can break or weaken on you and screw you out of nowhere, and that this is why competitive shooters make a habit of replacing it specifically on a certain cycle (10000 rnds?), and yet Glock does not officially instruct armorers on a replacement cycle for it. Officially, in the basic armorer's class, they don't instruct a parts replacement cycle for anything other than the recoil spring. "Replace it if it breaks" seems to be the law of the land, which probably floats under the radar very easily in agencies where a gun is not likely to see more than X rounds in its life. Either way, it has always seemed good policy to me to not fuck with slide stop...for many reasons, and the temperamental spring was one of them. I have often wondered if I should be replacing it on some interval; I currently do not.

In any event, the slide lock spring sort of struck me as one of the perfect candidates for improvement. And, in my naive opinion, a coil spring seems like it'd have a much better longevity, less prone to "send back to Glock" failures, and be just easier to install and remove in general. The controversy on PF about this move really blindsided me.

Aside, although only having skimmed GJM's post (sorry dude, it's been a long day), I think I'm in agreement with him that the slide lock failing altogether is a problem you'd only notice in such an obvious catastrophic way when dryfiring or hitting a malfunction. When in functioning livefire, the striker engagement with the sear prevents the slide from coming off even in the absence of the slide lock. When the gun is fired, I imagine recoil starts moving the gun rearward before the slide can significantly launch forwards in the absence of the slidelock. At that point, the striker gets recocked and the slide is locked onto the frame again. However, none of this precludes the possibility of more subtle issues materializing in livefire in the absence of or improper installation of the slide lock. For one, I believe a backwards installed slide lock can hold the gun just barely out of battery enough to cause some issues. The hook on the barrel doesn't have the notch on the lock to fall into, and presses the gun out of battery. I've heard of this before. So, I wonder if a missing or broken slide lock can cause lockup and accuracy issues too in livefire. I can certainly see how it could allow for undesired movement in the slide preignition. This is not a response to anything in particular here, just a thought that's been floating in my head for a while, and I'm curious if any one else on here has more info about what ways slide lock failure really manifests in livefire.

That video is very interesting. I always was a little confused by the idea that the slidelock spring would fail from round count. It seemed like it should be basically static throughout cycling. Obviously that is very much not the case, and it looks like it gets more work than a lot of other springs on the gun (2 complete load/deload cycles per round!).

FWIW, I have seem some videos made by the same guy before, probably even that one, and IIRC he was in fact testing ejection with the ejector removed and such.

User Tag List